Occasional Tuna ?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Topcat10
Frequent Cat Chatter

Occasional Tuna ?

Post by Topcat10 »

TC has the occasional small tin of tuna (in water). Probably 5 times a week.

Recommendations to this is varied. I'd be grateful for any advice you may have.

The last thing I'd want to do is harm my lad.

Thanks.. TCs Dad.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Occasional Tuna ?

Post by lilynmitz »

5 times a week is a bit more than occasional! And a whole tin each time? I think you're right to wonder whether that's too much.

I'd cut it down to smaller amounts and less frequent - to ensure he gets a good balance of vitamins and minerals. I've also heard (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that this can damage kidneys if eaten in large and frequent amounts.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Blimey - I thought the same! Five times a week - he's practically living on the stuff!!

Yes, I think it's a bit too much too, tinned tuna is high in salt. I agree that less often, and smaller amounts is fine, though. My lot get tuna about once a week, or sometimes pilchards or sardines but I do drain off most of the oil or sauce. Several of mine really love the tomato sauce!

We do sometimes buy white fish or chicken breasts (fresh or frozen and often stuff sold off cheap and almost out of date) and just boil them in water to give for a change or as a treat. The chicken like that is also good for runny tums.
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mrs Kane »

I probably give my cat half a tin of tuna every month. I normally only do it for certain reasons like:
We ran out of food on a Sunday and the shops aren't open. (oops! This has happened twice)
She's accidentally been stepped on or kicked and I'm feeling guilty and she's moody for being accidentally abused.
She's been off her normal food for more than a day.

I think once I gave it to her just because she was being a particularly good girl (strange for her) all day while I was cleaning. (AKA not tearing up and down the hallway I'd just mopped and cleaned)

I really wouldn't give a cat tuna that much though. Perhaps once a fortnight is sufficient if the cat is alone and doesn't have to share. 5 days a week is excessive because even if you buy the watered kind it still contains a lot of salt for a cat. For us I think it would be like consuming 8 salt packets a day.

If you wanted to give you cat something a little different have you considered getting something like the "Gourmet" range from the cats section? The tins are slightly more than a can of tuna but probably much better for him.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

surely it's better to feed tuna especially for cats, which has vitamins, including taurine, added, and no added salt

I buy Cosma Natural tuna from Zooplus, and my two share a small tin a couple of times a week
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Well as humans have been advised not to eat tuna each day due to high mercury levels, I certainly wouldn't give it to my cats. 5 times a week is excessive for a cat regardless of the mercury scare. Maybe as a treat once a week but certainly not a tin.
Topcat10
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Topcat10 »

Thanks folks........(point taken.)

TCs Dad.
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

Sorry TC, didn't want to put you off being here :(
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Yes, sorry if we all seemed to jump on you a bit!!

"What are the charges?"

"The defendant fed his cat too much tuna, m'lud"

Poor TC, we went and spoiled all his fun, but it really is in his own best interests. :D
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

Worst crime in the world! :D Right next to too many hot water bottles in bed and wearing more than one t-shirt a day ;)
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

I am guilty of feeding too much 'human' tuna. I prefer to give them the Sainsbury's pouches of tuna meat in jelly, that has balanced vitamins. At 55p for a 100g pouch, it is actually cheaper than regular tuna anyway.
Topcat10
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: cleared by the court of appeal.

Post by Topcat10 »

Just arrived home having been in the dock at the Old Baily. :D
Following severe cross examination by the prosecution council Mr Itchy Mogg QC, I was found not guilty by means of insanity.
In his summing up the trial judge Mr Fee Line QC said; " any person willing to purchase Sainsburys tuna for his cat must surely not be in his right mind." :)
At this the jury were seen to be visibly moved, and their spokesman commented as to the fact the accused...(me) actually looked insane.
Having taken TC with me as a character witness a court reporter commented on his classy carrier.
He stayed calm under pressure from the dock and his sincere meows had a visible impression on all in attendance.
His paw prints were taken, as was his d n a.
The court usher unknown to me gave my lad a saucer of milk having been unaware that he is lactose intolerant.
She then picked him up for a cuddle and following audible purrs he was violently sick on her gown.
So folks, having suffered all the above, I hope that you too will forgive this loopy lad.---(me not my cat)
TCs Dad. 8-)
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Pleased to hear TC put on a good performance for you!
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

This case rests! *bangs gavel*
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Guilty! Guilty! Guilty!

Sentenced to 2 years communekitty purrvice!

*good grief ....... we're ALL loopy!!* :oops: :lol:
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

sentenced to feline servitude for life - lucky you
bobster38
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by bobster38 »

On the other side of the coin:) my foster cat has hyperthyroidism which you would think would be an even stronger reason to not give tuna. He does love tuna though and it makes pilling him easier. The vet says its absolutely fine to give a little tuna.

FYI, me pilling my foster cat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCN1JoUeVwo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

Shared your video on FB so my Sheffield friends can see.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

I love chatty cats :)

I had to do 'down the hatch' with Laz's Felimazole and he was never fooled by treats :)
p885
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by p885 »

I feed my cat tuna every once in a while. He is usually satisfied with canned cat food.
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

I really must bring my phone into the kitchen so you can see Sofis cries when I make lunch. We usually have ham or tuna bagels and she whinges for some 9 times out of 10.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

LOL - Molly bawls her head off if I'm boiling a kettle for miso (Japanese soy and seaweed) soup!

Me: Cats don't like seaweed soup.
Molly: THEY DOOOOOO!

My old Finny, when he was on Metacam, used to eat it in a little spoonful of tuna (canned in water) every day. Each morning he'd turn up in the kitchen, bright and expectant. And he did like it if I had beans on toast. I had to leave him some of the tomato glop to lick up out of the bowl, but no surprise...I used to have a Siamese who drank tomato soup and another who drank Ribena... :lol:
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

I used to have a Siamese who drank tomato soup and another who drank Ribena... :lol:
I love my Sof but there's no way she's getting either of those from me! :lol: It's too much of a pain to get them from across town and too expensive to boot! Though she will normally nibble at whatever is left on my plate after I've finished. Unless it's a salad. She turns her nose up at the green stuff.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

LOl! You'lll think I'm making this up but I did know of a Siamese with a passion for ...spring onions!

Honest!

And another Siamese of mine once stole the show at a Christmas gathering with (fortunately catty) friends by clawing the lids off the vol au vents and slurping out the creamed mushrooms. There was plenty of other food, luckily, as that evening, vol au vents were 'off' - all a bit Monty Python I know (spam, spam, spam or spam!) :lol:

ps errm that's the same one who I once mentioned raiding my plate of Sunday lunch in the days when I cooked and ate such things. Not the lamb, oh no. The great lump of cauliflower dripping with mint sauce. Strode off with it gripped between her teeth, growling...
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I have just tuned in to this thread again and have come to the conclusion you are all nuts! :lol:

Thus says the woman whose kitchen is like a restaurant every morning - 'would madam like to see the menu?' The other day I had left out some sausages to defrost. I did cover them, but that didn't stop the feline waste disposal unit that is Gracie from dragging one away like a lion with a zebra on the Serengeti! :?