Need a quiet, weather-proof catflap

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
cookie_cat
New Cat Chatter

Need a quiet, weather-proof catflap

Post by cookie_cat »

Can anyone recommend a standard size door-mounted catflap which doesn't make a noise when it closes? Maybe soft close or just padded, but must also be weatherproof and protect against cold drafts.

Back story:
We bought a standard catflap last year from pets at home or somewhere.
It made a loud "clack" noise which bothered us at night every time either of our cats went in or out.
So I wrapped some tissue paper around the bottom of it - this worked a treat in terms of noise reduction, but means a lot of cold air flies into the house. I'm not sure the draft is much reduced without the tissue paper in place either.

What are some good weather-proof sealing quiet-closing catflaps please?
It can't be a tunnel as it's fitted in a door and we can't make a hole in the wall.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Need a quiet, weather-proof catflap

Post by meriad »

They'll all make some sort of noise, it's the magnet catching to keep the latch in place. I have a microchip cat flap (Sureflap) that I've set up as a normal one (ie doesn't need the microchip because of where it is) and that seems fairly quiet?
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by hgale »

I also have a Sureflap which is activated for Denver's microchip, and although it does make a click noise to lock, its pretty quiet. Its also very weatherproof as the lock keeps the flap securely closed even in high winds when the microchip isn't anywhere near it too. Plus no unwanted guests to stress Denver!

I have never heard of a catflap that doesn't make a noise at all though, as Meriad says its the magnetic strip catching the door. But the Sureflap is the best catflap I have ever used.

Helen
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

A lot depends on your cats mode of entry. My Badger used to come in with a crash bang wallop that would make any cat flap bounce, whilst Tilly slid in with hardly a noise. Since Badger's death, however, she is beginning to copy his mode of entry! (I have a Sureflap microchip cat door.)
cookie_cat
New Cat Chatter

Post by cookie_cat »

Okay well it sounds like I won't find a quiet cat flap off the shelf, perhaps I can make my own quiet closing device using a soft-drawer-closer - has anyone else managed to do that?

And for the bought catflap I'll settle for one that doesn't let a draft through normally - any recommendations for one with a good seal when it's closed?

Thanks
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Marla »

Have you seen the soft door cat flaps?
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I find the basic cat flaps relatively quiet and wind and water proof, but I find the sealing and magnetic bit don't last long, so the door needs replacing fairly regularly - spares are widely available and are cheap

I also find putting the flap in back to front helps, as no bits of cat litter accumulate on the ledge inside the house, and I think the ledge being on the outside slows them down a bit

of course if you have a cat as well rounded as mine dashing through the flap is not an option - silent sqeezing is all they can manage
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Kay wrote:of course if you have a cat as well rounded as mine dashing through the flap is not an option - silent sqeezing is all they can manage
You're lucky you get silent squeezing - I get a sort of vacuum effect followed by a pop like a champagne cork when Ava tries to go through :D Harry on the other hand is that mad dashing one.

But then there are times when sheer velocity propels Ava through the flap with a crash and bang :D Nothing graceful about her at that moment at all
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Reminds me of the time when my neighbors (very) fat cat, Tay, got stuck in my cat flap, like Winnie the Pooh in Rabbit's burrow. His tummy grounded on the bottom of the hole and he couldn't go forward or back! I had to push him through. (After that escapade, he got put on a diet and is slightly thinner now.) But back to the subject of the thread. The only wind proof flap I have had was the first one I bought, some 35 years ago. Was probably a Staywell, but not sure who made it now. It had a door for inbound traffic which was set in another door, with both opening for outbound traffic. So each had a lip which allowed for a draught proof seal. It lasted some 18 years before disintegrating. All the others with their single doors and furry excluder strips never remain draught proof after the first winter. Wet long haired cats scraping over the flap rim make the rim wet and the flaps freeze up with dire consequences to the furry strips when one cat wants to go out and head buts the flap!
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

There was a flap already in the door in my old place. It was called a big cat/Small dog. It was fairly quiet - maybe because it was bigger?

I think it was a Staywell product.

PS - I just googled 'quiet cat flap' and this came up. Apparently it is quiet as it has a brush seal http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp? ... pf_id=7550