Poison

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Poison

Post by Cussypat1974 »

Not sure where to post this.
2 cats here are now dead from poisoning. I am watching the others and keeping them inside as far as possible, but this is a second generation anticoagulant and the signs only show when it is too late. Bothe cats seemed like hey had flu symptoms, then crashed and died. Second cat I got to vets in time to do bloods and she confirmed poison. This guy literally ate his dinner hours before. It hits fast and there is no way to predict it.
I have stayed home for two days and am monitoring the cats. But by the time they show symptoms it is too late.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Poison

Post by Cussypat1974 »

By the time they show illness, they are as good as dead I am done rescuing cats. I cannot keep them safe, even by moving house. We cannot afford to move again. We bought this place for the cats.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Oh my goodness! What has happened, Cussypat? Is someone deliberately poisoning your cats? Were is this? Do you know who it is?

I can't begin to imagine how awful you must be feeling - is there anything anyone can do to help you?

Thinking of you and your poor kitties - how absolutely devastating for you.
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by hgale »

Oh no, I'm so sorry.

Thinking of you and your cats Cussypat, you know we are all here for you. I hope this can be sorted out really quickly.

{Hugs} from Helen
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by nannymcfee »

And if anyone says it is accidental from De-icer/ anti freeze, don't believe a word.

That is so horrible ,what a **** thing to happen to your little mogs, and you moved there so they would be safe :0( , some really nasty people around, one of daughters cats went missing one November, then a year or so later there were reports of anti freeze poisoning on her street ( she had moved by then ) but its happening in that general area again and dogs too are being poisoned by laced meat, ( where lots took their dogs for walks).

I hope you find out who has done this, and something worse happens to them.

XXX Stay safe, and hugs .
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Shelly and Dora »

Oh my. Words fail me.

How could anyone do this. My heart goes out to you Cussypat.

Where abouts are you? Have you reported it to the police?
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

Hi Catherine

How are you and the rest of the gang? I hope you find out who is doing this. You must be distraught with worry.

Sending all positive vibes that you find an answer xx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I have just picked up on this thread - how awful! It is especially bad to think that someone close (geographically) to you could be doing this on purpose.

But I would ask, do you have any hotels, restaurants, food stores near you? I only ask because my friend's garden, where I feed the Car Park Cats is right next to a (now closed) hotel. There have been times when I have seen cardboard 'tents' with rat poison in dotted around the side and back of the hotel. The owner discouraged staff from feeding the cats and got rats instead!

It doesn't stop the problem or make it any easier on you. But it might bring you closer to finding the source.

BTW the Chinese restaurant opposite the hotel tells me that every night after close of business they feed left over chicken and duck to the cats - and they have no rat problems.

I really hope and pray that your other cats are all unharmed. Thinking about you.

Sue
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 8

Post by PeanutsFriend »

That is happening over here too. The poisoning. I am wondering if someone online challenged the sickos to do it?
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

We are literally in the middle of nowhere.nthe nearest shop is a ten minute drive away. That is in a small town. We are off the main road and only have 3 close neighbours and a shed full of dairy cows. One neighbour is the dote of a beef farmer who SDORES cats and has 2 dogs who wander around the farm with him. Another is a decent enough man who has a loved dog who wanders around with him, and trains valuable racing greyhounds (who are always under control and have NEVER presented any danger to the cats). We have warned them both so they could protect their own animals.
I caught the farmer who was feeding the dairy cows and asked him straight. He said he hasn't laid poison since we arrived because he hasn't needed to. He is thrilled with our cats as they save him a fortune in poison (this whole area was literally overrun with rays before we arrived..... I never saw anything like it when we viewed the place and the estate agent turned purple lol, but it didn't bother us in the slightest, knowing we had a 48 cat strong anti-rat army coming in!). He said his only complaint is that one cat (I think it is Donnie) sits in front of the tractor to wash himself, so he has to stop the tractor to move him outta they way! So I genuinely don't think it is that farmer.
Then...... There is that farmer's sister..... Wo HATES cats and lives opposite us. She has bragged in the town about hitting vats on purpose with her car, and she has killed 3 cats so far on our lane. One was Scarlett, who by them was more the lovely beef farmer's cat than mine as she loved him and the rabbits in his fields. I asked the dairy farmer if it coild be his sister. He said he wouldn't put it past her.
Now..... It COULD be her but I have no proof. I do know that by talking to him, it has gone back to their mother. Who is a real matriarch type, and a complete weapon. It simply would not do (in her world) to have any bad press for the family. So..... I honestly think that getting reports back to Mammy will be a far better deterrent than the police, who will basically do nothing. Nothing illegal has been done. It wasn't antifreeze, it was rat poison, and it is perfectly legal to use. It is only illegal to wrap it in meat for any animal other than rats or mice, and I have no evidence whatsoever that that has been done.
I could go to the police and report cats dying from rat poison, but as that can happen from them eating poisoned rodents, no evidence of any crime exists whatsoever. And I don't want to create bad blood and further issues with the cat-hating WAGON because she basically has the upper hand. My cats wander and I cannot keep them safe from her.
I think the best thing is to let her mother deal with her. If it happens again, I have the mother's number myself. I have spoken to her before about her son leaving the slurry tank open, and 6 cats dying in it. That was an accident I know. I explained to her how I was unable to have children, so the cats were my children (utter lie, but was hoping it would make her pity me and get her onside!). Oh..... I really deserved an Oscar for that performance!
I am trying to stay calm and play this in a clever way for the benefit of the cats here. I have no other way to keep them safe. Keeping them locked inside is not an option..... There are too many and too many ferals. The police cannot act even if the wanted to as no evidence of a crime exists.
I am playing it all by ear and doing my best, but if anyone has any suggestions please offer them! S far there are no signs of any more poisonings, but I have sad news about Locky, who deserves his own post.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

It's good to hear you have a couple of animal friendly neighbours (the farmer sounds particularly nice), but as for his sister....... I share your suspicions, but I also think dealing with her mother is the best way to go, and I would stay on that tack if I were you. Very sad to hear about the slurry tank incident though, that's awful. I hope he keeps it well covered now, but farms are risky places for humans and animals alike, and there's a limit to how much you can protect cats in the Big Wide World.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Absolutely agree with the above post, I think you're handling it very well, Catherine. You can do no more. xx
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

thanks guys.... I am doing my best to handle this for the best interests of the cats. we cannot afford to move, and to where?????? the devil you know, and all that eh? my instinct is to go on a machete attack, but that wouldnt help the cats.
knowing the people who live around me helps enormously. i rang the young beef farmer and he HATES that woman. pretty much everyone on our lane hates the whole family bevause they have farmland here, but dont live here (apart from cat hater who has an office job) and they think they can do what they like with no consideration to us, who live here. like mud on the lane from his tractor. sounds silly? it can be a foot deep! and mt Dad slipped in it last year and luckily was not hurt seriously.
i dont hate the neighbours at all...... I love some and like others. it is just the one who hates cats that I have a problen with........
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

She sounds a very unhappy woman indeed. What a shame she takes it out on innocents, rather than dealing with the underlying cause of her own unhappiness.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

She is just a bad minded weapon of a yoke...... Other neighbours are actually tracking her movements down to the minute..... She is THAT hated! It is like an episode of neighbours from hell! But at least I am not the only one eh? Everyone has an issue with here for different reasons.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

Mainly because she drives like a lunatic. That doesn't affect us as we are at the top of the lane. Our cats rarely go as far as hers, or at least rarely go far enough for her to pick up speed. Lovely beef farmer...... Lives downstream of her.
She didn't lie here when we bought the house either. If I had known there was a cat hater we would NEVER have bought this house. Now that we are here we simply cannot afford to move. PLUS..... We put EVERYTHING into finding the right environment for the cats. And it is beautiful for them here. We have had cats move in! If we moved it would probably bring as much trouble, and possibly more, and anyway, we just cannot afford to. But we did discuss it as an option. It just isn't viable......
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Why should YOU move? If you could afford to, you may never find the same sort of place.

We considered a move a few years back. It was a once in a life time offer - some folks we knew were moving back to England and wanted to sell their renovated farmhouse (for less than they paid for it!) We thought about it but to be honest we love where we live and the kitties are very happy here.

Perhaps she'll pick up the vibes from the other neighbours and move - one can only hope! At least she is not next door to you! :x