Cat returns after 6 months!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Cat returns after 6 months!

Post by lilynmitz »

Just wanted to share this with people - I cat-sit for neighbours when they're away, sibling cats 11 years old, Popo and Petl. (not a typo - it's from the volcano, Popocatopetl). Back in June when I was cat-sitting, I spotted that little Petl was fitting, so I rushed her to the vet, and when my neighbours came home they did likewise, and had just started her on a regime of meds as she was fitting 2 or 3 times a day. Then suddenly, after a few days, Petl just vanished. She'd never been one for going out for long, so this was very unlike her. We just assumed that she'd fitted and died somewhere, or been carried off by a fox, or something like that. She's very tiny - looks like a kitten despite her age. This was completely out of character for her - she was never out for more than a few hours, and more recently much less than that. They did all the usual things -searched all our gardens and sheds, put up notices, etc etc, but nothing. Janet and I were just discussing this morning how different Popo has been just rather sad and quiet, since Petl left.

Well...... Mark rang this afternoon to say she's turned up at a local rescue centre!! :D Thank heaven for microchips!! She'd been found on an estate not that far from us, across the field at the back, and a small railway line. We don't know any more at the moment, but someone must have been feeding her, as she couldn't have survived that long on hunting and scavenging round here, particularly not with her medical condition. It might be that her condition left her confused and she wandered off? They'll be picking her up as soon as they can, but will have to reintroduce her carefully, as I doubt Popo will recognise her (he's a gentle soul though so should be ok), and the new hamster will have to be put out of her way for a while of course.... They'll also have to manage the cat flap situation for a while, but well, what lovely lovely news. Feeling very happy!
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Cat returns after 6 months!

Post by meriad »

Oh wow - what a lovely early Christmas present.... how fantastic. Can't wait to hear how she's settling in once back home and how Popo is with her

thanks for sharing - it will certainly give hope to others who have their pets missing. As you say - thank goodness for microchips!
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

meriad wrote:thank goodness for microchips!
Absolutely. It's hard to imagine why anybody wouldn't get their pets chipped.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

It will be Janet's birthday on Monday too, so a wonderful birthday present for her!
jillyvillyvoo
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by jillyvillyvoo »

That's just amazing, especially given her medical condition. So happy for them all, thanks for sharing x
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

:D That’s such lovely news!!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

That is lovely new, thanks for sharing! :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

That's great news! :D
lnxjenn
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by lnxjenn »

That is wonderful! What agony to not know anything about her for 6 months! I'm not sure I could cope with my lost kitten absent for that long... he'sonly been missing 5 days :(

I'm glad she was found!! At least she didn't wander too far?
BarryK001
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by BarryK001 »

Wow! Very nice to hear some uplifting cat news!

Barry.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Fabulous news! And great that some kind person was feeding her. Amazing if she wasn't on her meds.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

Well, little Petl is home with her family again. She's a bit subdued and has lost a lot of weight, but she knows she's home and is gradually getting back into the swing of things. Her big brother isn't too impressed, but they'll get used to sharing again.

It turns out that despite putting posters all round the village, she was seen roaming around a long long way from home, but no-one twigged it was her and didn't report it. More recently a cat lover was feeding her in her garage every day for the last few weeks, (couldn't let her in the house because of her own cats) but as the weather deteriorated she got more worried and handed her in to a local rescue centre, who scanned her, and the rest is history.

She's eating well and apart from a few new scratches on her nose (poor little lamb obviously got into a few scrapes), the vet gave her a good going over and found she's fine. She needs to put some weight back on, and she'll be kept in from now on, but thank heaven she's home before the worst of the winter. She's such a tiny vulnerable little cat, it's awful to think what she's been through, but more amazing that she survived on her wits and finally ended up back in her loving home again. :-)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

That's such a heartwarming story, I really hope she settles back in quickly. Poor little thing has been through such a tough time, but the main thing is that she's home safe at last. :)

Thank you for updating. xx