Cats and Christmas trees

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Cats and Christmas trees

Post by MarkB »

We have never had much of a problem in the past, but this year, Ingrid has been a nightmare. She keeps climbing up in the tree and knocking the baubles off. Our best one, a hand painted one OH bought in a Christmas market in Switzerland a few years back was the first victim. All glass ornaments have been removed and we ended up buying fabric ones at a craft market today - shame as we had some nice ones.

https://goo.gl/photos/uSUsMeefV8SWZYVT6 Just before baubles was killed
https://goo.gl/photos/Qp65SrfLydRssQkU9 Post Mortem

https://goo.gl/photos/Sa2Ra5yNsYU5yajE6
https://goo.gl/photos/mFHzpXKoTzLpmXRs8
https://goo.gl/photos/qJC2pHuMUrHSJ1Xi9
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Cats and Christmas trees

Post by Crewella »

Naughty Ingrid ...... but she manages to look incredibly cute whilst wreaking havoc and destruction! :D

Such a shame about the gorgeous glass bauble, but I'm afraid you're going to have to pack away the remaining lovely glass ornaments for a few years - when she hits middle age she might, just might, have calmed down a little and allow them to live. ;)
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Yes Helen, as lovely asthey are, it just isn't worth cut paws - or worse!

PS - Have you tried google photos? - I am always way behind with any tech stuff, but since I discovered it, there is no going back. It automatically backs up any photos saved onto the computer without me having to do a thing - and really easy to create a link to post on forums etc. Also, not sure it people realise, but when you click on a link and see the small image, if you clcik on it, it enlarges. I bet it has bee around for years, but new to me :lol:

In a gentler mood with Sarah (camdengirl) recently https://goo.gl/photos/tfFW3f7VPUUEPdYs9
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Actually I've never tried it either - I'm still struggling with Photobucket. I'll have a look. :)

Lovely pic, send Sarah my regards and wish her, Hops and Pip a happy Christmas from me. xx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Don't know if it is just me, but I can't view those photo's on my (clockwork) iPad. I'll have to view them later on my 'proper' computer! :roll:
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Not sure how it all works - maybe you need to have a google account to be able to view? (ie Youtube)
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

This was the ornament on the bedside table at the hotel the day it was bought in the christmas market in Basel I think. http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn22 ... bauble.jpg
suelily
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by suelily »

Awe that was a lovely bauble and the cat looks so cute in the tree. I am very lucky that my cat has never climbed the tree although he does knaw at the branches.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

We've put a cow bell on our tree so we can tell when Ziggy's climbing in it! It's fair to say it rings quite a lot. I'm dreading putting the rest of the decorations on.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ohhhh noooo - naughty Ingrid! :shock:

Yup, know the feeling. I don't do Christmas any more, though I used to, but in November 1983 I adopted George and the Leopard, two three-quarter Siamese kittens, and in December 83 I put up my last Christmas tree. It was only one of those bog-standard plastic things with foldable arms, but George hurled himself at it before I'd even unfurled it, which should have warned me. They watched, mesmerised, as I put the tree in place and decorated it and turned on the lights. Then they went into action.

Very shortly I had to remove all breakables and lights. What was left ended up on the floor and, after they'd gone to sleep on an evening, worn out with a hard day's tree-wrecking, was replaced to fight another day. The tree certainly kept them out of mischief that Christmas; they had hours of pleasure.

Timbberrrr! :lol:
lnxjenn
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by lnxjenn »

This is my first year in a long time having kittens at Christmas. My last cat passed away Nov 2014. She was a bit of trouble when she was a kitten, but she hadn't attempted to climb a tree in many years! I am looking forward to having Wednesday climb the christmas tree, much to my hubby's annoyance, i'm sure! :lol: Now, if I could get Pugsley back home (he's missing) he'd be an utter delight around the Christsmas tree.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Mark, I've just realised I remember when you got that poor ill-fated bauble! I remember you posting that picture! :D
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

I remember posting the photo of the bauble now you mention it Helen. :D

This morning there were two of the new fabric 'baubles' and 4 mini crackers on the floor PLUS a glass one that I had missed when I removed breakables. :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

:lol:
xmastree.jpg
xmastree.jpg (72.21 KiB) Viewed 5378 times
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Love it! :D
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

LOLOLOL!

But there will always be a furry on the treetop! :lol:
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

No probs with the pics now I'm on the laptop! Great photo's Mark. Isn't she a little monkey?!

I DID have 3 lovely, swirly, mother of pearl glass decorations - bought pre cats. I'm down to one. I get it out with the others decs and admire it, then put it away again :roll:

I think Purdy may have been a dog in a previous life. She is never content until she has pee'd on the base of the tree and I have called her a 'dirty little sxd'. Happens every year. I now cover the base with newspaper 'til she has 'got it out of her system' - in all meanings of the phrase!

Gracie likes to sit on the back of the sofa and whack at things like a punch bag, whackitty, whackitty, whack.

Helen - what a great idea for a Christmas card - I might pinch that next year.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

She has still been knocking the decorations off - Here's the proof. She has claimed this one :D

https://goo.gl/photos/3goc37rabNnNoSpx8
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

Aaawww... she just wanted a cat-sized pillow :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I don't blame her, I'd want it too - it's lovely! :D
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

We bought quite a few. There are ones with hedgehogs, owls, foxes etc on. I miss my proper baubles though - I will try to get some shatter proof ones at the weekend.
p885
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by p885 »

I have all plastic ornaments now. My cat snowball rips up everything.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Yesterday I was in a store buying something for OH. The sales lady was pointing out 'special offers' including some, quite attractive, glass baubles. I said 'yes, they are very nice, but I have cats'. She said 'oh perhaps not then', and pulled this face :? . I think she may have cats herself. :lol:
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

i know of two cats strangled in Christmas tree lights so far this year....... i know none of you would be that silly as to leave them alone with the tree, but just spreading the warning out there! our tree goes up on X-mas Eve if it is lucky, and is 3 foot tall lol.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

Cussypat1974 wrote:i know of two cats strangled in Christmas tree lights so far this year.
That surprised me. I could anticipate the electricity being a hazard, because some cats chew cables. But I hadn't thought of a cat getting tangled in a cable to that extent. I suppose they were climbing the tree? Does anyone know, are cats attracted to artificial trees or only real ones? I use an artificial tree, and it has lights, but (back in the days when I had cats) they never showed any interest in it. I would switch the lights off if I wasn't in the room, but I never imagined the cables as being a hazard even without power.

Mary
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

We got a pre-lit artificial tree this year as I'm worried about Zig (who's like a bluebottle on speed, and has only been with us a few months) getting tangled in the cables. Most of the cables are tightly tied in close to the branches, but some are still looped so it hasn't completely eradicated the risk. But yes, he has been trying to climb it. And chew it. And is spreading glitter all over the house! We haven't put the decorations on it yet. We've put a cow bell on the top of the tree so we can tell when he's climbing it, which has been a godsend. But he is getting bored with it now, thank heaven. We can't shut him out of the room sadly - he and Elsie would completely destroy the carpet trying to get in. (and I mean completely!) :-(
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Shelly and Dora »

Dora LOVES Christmas and everything associated with it.

The main tree goes in the conservatory which backs onto our lounge. She Dashes round the base of it like mad. So much so that I have actually attached hooks to the wall and run the cable up and over the lounge/conservatory door and back down to the plug socket.

Over the fire/hearth we have lights and stockings etc and she loves to lay up there looking down at the lights.

In the porch we have a smaller 3
foot tree.

I've see a couple of horror stories of fatalities with cables and kitties. If I'm not home the lounge and porch doors are shut. It's simply not worth the risk. When I am home the doors are open but because Dora's about an inch from my ankles I always know where she is anyway!! x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Awwwwww, how is the lovely Dora? Give her a Christmas fuss from me. xx
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

You're just gonna have to face it Mark - this year Ingrid IS your Christmas tree decoration! :D