Would you trust this request?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Would you trust this request?

Post by Grace56 »

Hi everyone. Hope you and your fur babes are doing ok.

Now, on a local forum I belong to, there was a request for a 'kitten or grown tom' to be given free. The person making the request has stated that she recently lost her cat due to illness.

Many of us have suggested CPL or RSPCA etc, but the person hasn't responded to any of us. I don't trust this at all. I'm just wondering if it's someone out for a free Christmas present for someone who may not want a cat. Or for a kid who'll neglect the animal or be cruel to it. Then it'll be discarded as many are at this time of year.

Of course, this person may be genuine but I'm not sure. Gut instinct you know. It's the 'free' bit that bothers me.

What do you all think?

Best wishes,

Grace and Dave. xx
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Would you trust this request?

Post by MarySkater »

I wouldn't trust it. The charities usually charge a "rehoming fee" of maybe £30-£50. If the advertiser can't afford that, how are they going to afford the day-to-day costs of keeping a cat? And if the cat costs them nothing, they may not value it.

If I had a cat that I needed to rehome, and was considering this person's request, at the very least I'd want to pay them a visit, to check out the person and the home. But on balance, I'd rather place my cat with one of the charities, and let them check out the would-be adopter.

Mary
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

I definitely wouldn't trust it. Who knows what they're going to do to it? I once saw an ad in Exchange and Mart for kittens and puppies, they were obviously "bulk buying unwanted litters, and I was so concerned about this I reported them to the RSPCA. Never found out the end of the story though. :-(
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I wouldn't trust it either, I'm afraid. If people are unwilling to pay a few pounds to a rescue for a cat, what else are they likely not to want ot pay for? At best, I don't trust their commitment, at worst ....... who knows what they really want a free cat for ......... :(
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

No don't trust them! My stomach is churning! What about the cost of annual vacs, flea & tick control!
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

DON'T TRUST THEM! it could be for dog baiting or anything! At best it was posted by an ignorant person with absolutely no clue about animalwelfare. I am sorry, but is someone is savvy enough to be online and posting, they are savvy enough to do a google search!

I did once rehome an adult cat on Christmas eve. it was to people who were good friends of a polish girl I had already rehomed to. they were taking Isis anyway, and understood my Christmas present issues, but had great vet references, a reference from my own friend who had alreadfy adopted from me, and wanted the RIGHT cat for their family of 2 little girls, a hamster and a Lassie dog, on a quiet estate. it was just a matter of timing, so as their tradition was for Santa to come on Christmas eve, Daddy took the girls for a walk to see the lights while Santa (ME!) arrived with Isis. Isis needed that home and is doing GREAT there. I have never regretted that rehoming, even though it goes against every Christmas pet rule eh?

But no way...... free cat wanted anytime is a BAD sign, never mind at this time of year!