Sudden death age 5 :(

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
Vixxy
New Cat Chatter

Sudden death age 5 :(

Post by Vixxy »

My beautiful white cat Dora was put to sleep on Monday. I am still in shock and feel so guilty. She was only 5 and was a rescue cat I had for just 3 short years. She was a slim cat under 4kg and when she died she had lost a 3rd of her body weight, this happened so fast. A month ago we got a puppy - a cavapoo - so not big and I assumed wrongly that she was maybe acting differently for the last couple of weeks because she didn't like it - which initially may have been the case and as she was little she never had a big appetite and because I had a small lighter puppy, when I picked Dora up she still felt heavier so I guess I didn't notice her losing weight (we have another larger cat also so the food was still disappearing). Anyway Sunday night I heard her being sick and when I got up I couldn't find the sick so left it, but in the morning I found a small patch of green bile on the carpet and she was clearly unwell... took her straight to vets and to cut a long story short she had advanced phothorax (pus on lungs) and went down hill so fast. We went to say goodbye to her and I stayed while she was pts. I've cried and cried since then as have my children. I feel so guilty, I should have noticed she was ill but was so caught up with the puppy. It's the worst time of year to lose a family member and I feel silly because some people are like 'just a cat' but I miss her terribly. I feel no joy in the festive season at all but have to pull it out the bag for my children. Sorry this is so long. She was just 5, I expected years and years with her still. And although we have our other cat (who is very confused and wondering where Dora is) and the puppy the house seems empty. :'( Thanks for listening, I can't believe she's gone... I've arranged a cremation and for her ashes to be returned. Think I'm still in shock actually x
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Sudden death age 5 :(

Post by Kay »

how sad - and I can well understand the shock and guilt you are feeling

no one on here will tell you Dora was 'just a cat' - we know the strength of the bond which can form between a human and a cat, and we know too that the guilt feelings are unavoidable whatever the circumstances surrounding the loss of a beloved pet - had Dora lived to 20 you would still miss her and wonder if there was more you could have done

try not to let her passing spoil your Christmas - you and your children will be able to say a special goodbye to Dora when you get her ashes back
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hello I'm so sorry for you & feel your heartache. Alas they can't talk & are very good at hiding their unwellness. Thinking of you. And yes it is Xmas but please don't suppress your feelings cry as much as you like as I'm sure your family will understand. They too are feeling the loss. Others will in all probability post their support & thoughts. We're with you. Take care. Vivian
Vixxy
New Cat Chatter

Post by Vixxy »

Thank you both. I miss her so so much. Will muddle through tomorrow some how, we all will... Just the worst possible time of year isn't it x
Wanda6688
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Wanda6688 »

So sorry to hear about Dora - there is no such thing as 'just a cat', they are all so special. I lost my cat just over 3 weeks ago and now I am feeling guilty - what if I has done this or that - but I know it wouldn't have changed anything, it is still very hard but it does get better over time. It is true that this is the worst time of the year to go through this - I live alone (which I don't have a problem with!) but tonight is particularly difficult - I just miss him dreadfully. Take care and try to enjoy Christmas with your family and other furry friends - they mean so much to us x
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Vixxey I'm home from my Xmas Day & night camping trip - no service. As Wanda said no 'such thing as Just a cat'. Once you have a special fur body enter your life you treasure them. I hope you had an ok Xmas - no use playing with words at a time like this. My friend wanted to stay tonight & thankfully they're not well & I wanted to desperately come home and we did. Thinking of you. Needed to let you know this as its so raw for you. Vivian
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Hello Vixxy,

I am so sorry to hear about Dora. It is true, there is no such thing as 'just a cat'. There is never a good time to lose one of our fur babies but at this time of year it is really hard.

Please don't blame yourself. It is Christmas, your children will be excited, there is too much to do, you have a puppy, there is a lot going on!

We are finding it hard to tell how much Tommy is eating (clearly not enough) because, unless we stand over him and watch, (which he doesn't like) he licks off the jelly and our feline waste diposal unit, Grace, finishes off the lot. He gets thinner and she should have 'Goodyear' printed down the side of her!

RIP Dora, (hugs) to you.
Vixxy
New Cat Chatter

Post by Vixxy »

Thank you again for the replies, it means a lot. I had a little cry last night again and have lit a candle over Christmas. I just keep thinking I see her on my son's bed or in the corner of my eye, think oh 'hello dora' then remember... Not sure how long it will be until I get her ashes back as over the holiday period. I want to get them back here as then im hoping it will help me accept rather than just not having her anywhere if that makes sense.

Bobbys Girl - your description of your cats eating habits made me smile. Dora and my other cat Kizzy where the same :)

xx
Mainecoon
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Mainecoon »

So sorry about Dora ( Recently bereaved also ...Kara was just under 6 years old , but different circumstances ) People who say just only a a cat are so misguided !! Think of all the positive things you had together. Thinking of you at this time & we well know how you must be feeling . XX