Cat seems constipated

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
ladymissk
Experienced Cat Chatter

Cat seems constipated

Post by ladymissk »

Hi and a Happy Christmas to you all!
My cat Beryl has been really lethargic since yesterday, shes picking at bits of food, and is drinking but she hasn't had a poo for 2 days. Shes weeing ok, but shes just sleeping and not moving much. The vets are closed til tomorrow, any idea what I can do to help her? Ive given her a tiny bit of tuna which she nibbled at but shes not eating.
Thanks so much in advance Kat x
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat seems constipated

Post by Lilith »

Hi and sorry to hear about Beryl.

If she's off her food she may not be needing to pass a motion although constipation can make them 'off it', but yes I'd be concerned about the lethargy.

There could be many reasons for this, from trivial to serious, and does she go out? Could she have eaten something that's disagreed with her or been involved in a fight or attack which has left her incubating an abscess? They can become very subdued in these circumstances while concealing all sign of the abscess. I take it she's not been vomiting and the normal wees are a good sign too, as is her interest in the tuna.

Just as a precaution, personally, I'd ring the vet emergency no, and discuss it with them. Every chance they'll reassure you and tell you to bring her in to the next daily surgery. You won't be making an unnecesssary fuss, just being rather safe than sorry, and their questions and answers could put your mind at rest.

All the very best with her - keep updating x
ladymissk
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by ladymissk »

Hi Lilith
Thanks for your reply. Beryl is an indoor cat, so I know she hasn't eaten anything or had a fight.
She's sleeping a lot at the moment, I've tried to tempt her with some turkey but she wouldn't eat it.
I've rung the vet but it's just going to voicemail for emergencies. I'll keep an eye on her, and get her to her vets tomorrow x
ladymissk
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by ladymissk »

Just thought I'd update..Beryl has had a poo! She's still lethargic, and has nibbled a bit of food. Our vets is closed til tomorrow but she's sleeping now, I'll post when I've taken her in the morning.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Oh that's good - apart from the lethargy she's in good working order?

Do hope the vet gives her a clean bill of health tomorrow - all paws crossed here and good luck x
ladymissk
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by ladymissk »

Well she's not eaten today, she's had a bit of water but that's all. She's slept for most of the day. Fingers crossed for tomorrow x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Sometimes warming their food will encourage them to eat, as can offering choice morsels by hand. Good luck for tomorrow. xx
ladymissk
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by ladymissk »

Update on Beryl, the vet thinks she has a throat/respiratory infection, hence why she won't eat. He's given her antibiotics and an injection, but because she's had a slight kidney problem, he said if she doesn't eat in the next 24 hrs, to bring her back in for blood tests. Thanks for all your comments guys x
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Aww poor lass - it's amazing how they conceal symptoms; hope the antibiotics pick her up without needing to go back for blood tests. That will be why she fancied the tuna, because it's smellier. Someone on here had success in getting a non-eating cat to take a haddock fish finger minus the crumbs; each finger would have made a convenient portion for a picky cat and as Crewella says, warm food is more attractive when they're off it.

At least you know what you're up against now and do hope she makes a speedy recovery :)
ladymissk
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by ladymissk »

Thanks, she's picked at her food again this morning. I've given her her first dose of antibiotics, and she's sat on the window sill looking out! If she still hasn't eaten or pooed by this afternoon I think I'll ring vet, see if he wants to do blood tests x
ladymissk
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by ladymissk »

Update on Beryl, she's had blood tests and her kidneys are not functioning properly.. She's in the vets now on a drip and I have to pick her up at 7. She will need to go on a special diet for life...I'm worried sick, anyone had anything like this happen to their cats? She still has a bit of a throat infection too :-(
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

My old cat Misty was on special food after his kidneys failed when he was 14 (give or take a bit - never knew how old he really was). Kept him going for another year - he eventually had to be PTS because of a brain tumor. So far as his kidneys and the special food were concerned he could have carried on. Main problem was the stuff was a bit bland and he much preferred Honey's food to his own!
ladymissk
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by ladymissk »

I'm picking her up at 7, I'll keep you informed. Thanks for your comments x
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

So very very sorry to hear!

But there are a lot of people on here with cats with chronic kidney disease and the cats do sound to cope well on the whole; I haven't much experience of it myself, and it was a long time ago, but I'm impressed at how it can be managed these days with the modern meds/food.

All the very best with her x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I've had several older cats with dodgy kidneys that have needed special diets - it's very common and diets work well to keep them healthy. I'm sorry your worried, but cats can go on for years like this - my old giddy had this for the last few years of her life and made it to 19.

There's a wealth of information on here about feeding her when you're ready - you only have to ask. I'm just a bit wary of overwhelming you right now. xx
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

My old girl Lily was in a similar state that you describe, she ended up on a drip with kidney failure after a post op infection. But she rallied and went on for about 3 more years on a modified diet and various pills and powders, so don't despair just yet. Your girl may still have more quality years in her, with careful management.
ladymissk
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by ladymissk »

Thanks guys, she's asleep at home now. She's got to go back tomorrow for another day on the drip, she's eaten her special diet biscuits, but still not had a poo..I'll keep you posted x
ladymissk
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by ladymissk »

Well she's home!! She still has her drip catheter in and has to go back for a check in the morning.. She looks a lot more alert, now have to try her on the special food...so far so good!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

That's good, hope she's better and good luck for tomorrow. :)
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Great she's home. They settle better @ home. And post updates. Vivian
ladymissk
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by ladymissk »

She's home!! Catheter free! She's on a special diet, and anti biotic..and has had a poo at last!! Pity the insurance has refused to pay out...thanks for all your kind comments guys x
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ah that's good - what a 'holiday' you two have had eh? But hope it's (comparatively) plain sailing from now on and that she adapts to her health regime. Give her a love from me x

Hope you're able to take a deep breath of relief at last and relax with a few bevvies tonight! :D
ladymissk
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by ladymissk »

Thanks I will do!!!
ladymissk
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by ladymissk »

H Everyone!

Just wanted to pick your brains on Beryls condition. She has been put on a special diet, shes on renal Biscuits and wet food, but its costing me a fortune. Does anyone know if there is any food that is suitable without buying it from the vets? Its £10 for a box of 10 pouches and I just cant afford it, but I cant give her normal food, any advice greatly appreciated x :) :)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

ladymissk wrote:H Everyone!

Just wanted to pick your brains on Beryls condition. She has been put on a special diet, shes on renal Biscuits and wet food, but its costing me a fortune. Does anyone know if there is any food that is suitable without buying it from the vets? Its £10 for a box of 10 pouches and I just cant afford it, but I cant give her normal food, any advice greatly appreciated x :) :)
I ordered Busters renal food online, whoever was cheapest that month, some did discounts for new users. I gave him half renal food and half senior, or he wouldn't eat everything. You can also buy binders that you can use in normal food
ladymissk
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by ladymissk »

Thanks, what are binders?
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

ladymissk wrote:Thanks, what are binders?
They reduce the phosphorus content in food to help the kidneys. Think one is called Ipatikine, not sure about the other
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

The other stuff is a paste called Renalzin - very odd, but I can't find it now. I wonder if it has been discontinued?

Renal dry works out a lot cheaper, so you could feed that, alongside senior food (I used to feed Felix senior) with either renalzine or ipakitine in. It works out at around 10p a serving to add to food,so a lot cheaperthan buying renal wet food.I have had fourcats with kidney disease and none of them liked renal wet food anyway, so I compromised.

Try not to worry, our Clapton managed for another 5 years from being diagnosed.
ladymissk
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by ladymissk »

Where do I get these binders from? :?:
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

I think you can get them on line, but check with your vet first that they're appropriate for your cat's treatment.