'Death Row' foster cats

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

'Death Row' foster cats

Post by Crewella »

I got a call about two cats that were due to be put to sleep - the familiar story about a new baby with an 'allergy' where the GP had said the cats had to go, both under 2 years old. Not ideal as they've been used to living mostly indoors, but my outdoor pen was free and it seemed better than the alternative. The family brought them over, along with their baskets, food bowls, blankets, paperwork and some food - two very well looked after cats, all up-to-date with vaccinations and flea/worm treatments and both microchipped, and the lady was obviously heartbroken. The whole thing really made me rethink my initial reaction.

It's not a decision I would ever make, but I could see that these people were doing their best, they had tried everywhere to get them rehomed, no friends or family would take them and no rescues had a place for them (including us, officially). The GP had insisted that the cats were causing the new baby's quite serious symptoms, and the lady had obviously not come to this drastic decision lightly, and was at least trying to take responsibility for her cats rather than dumping them to fend for themselves somewhere. Having initially been horrified, I ended up just feeling really sorry for her. I was glad to be able to take them on.

They're lovely cats, not related but very obviously bonded, one boy and one girl. They both looks a bit shell-shocked to be in an outdoor pen, I'm quite sure they're used to far more luxurious surroundings, but they're lovely friendly cats and I'm sure will find a good home with no problem. At least they have a little heated house to snuggle in.

Let's hope they don't have to shiver in my draughty pen for too long!
jillyvillyvoo
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: 'Death Row' foster cats

Post by jillyvillyvoo »

Och, poor souls. Good on you for helping again. I So hope they get a place indoors soon, they will be wondering where their family is too :cry: . Keep us posted please. It is nice to be proven wrong some times, like on this occasion. Too many people care so little about their responsibility and dump them off that we sometimes forget there are some real genuine people and reasons out there for not being able to look after your loved pets. Thank goodness for you :D
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Well done for taking on these little ones - they must be so confused, particularly if they've never been outside. Yes, I think you're right about re0thinking your response to the family. It's easy for people to criticise on paper, but when you actually connect with people's lives you realise how difficult it is. Our grandson is allergic to our five cats, but we make sure we have the antihistamines ready and keep cat fluff at a minimum and there's no problem. If he has his tablet he can even stay overnight. But allergy is not always that simple, and how do you medicate a newborn?

I hope you're right and they find a home soon - a loving gentle pair must be a fantastic find for someone looking for a cat family. In the meantime they've fallen on their paws with you - it could have been so much worse. x
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Well done Helen :) - it is sad for them, but better than the alternative. I know what you mean. We tend to assume that everyone who mentions allergies is lying, because the excuse comes up so often - I guess a a small % are telling the truth.

Doctors are very good at perpetuating myths as people assume they know what they are talking about. I remember quite a few years ago, dealing with a man whose wife had just had a premature baby. The consultant at the hospital asked her if she had any pets. She said she had 2 cats and he told her that they needed to be gone before she was released from hospital, as the baby would be vulnerable to infections and that cats harboured all kinds of dangerous bugs.

I forgot what happened in the end, as Sharon dealt with the family and spoke some common sense - ie did the doctor think she was going to clean litter trays with her bare hands and then feed the baby without washing them? - I know the owner was distraught over the idea of losing her cats, so hopefully she got to keep them. (I will ask her at the xmas meal on Saturday)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

It is down to the GPs. So often the GP's word is 'law', and yet you will get different advice from different GPs - it's just the luck of the draw!

These two are lovely, well-adjusted friendly cats - they're tucking into their food, snuggling up in their beds in their little house and making the best of it. Bless them. At least they've got each other. They're actually been here a few days, I'd just not had time to post about them.
Polo.JPG
Polo.JPG (235.5 KiB) Viewed 4602 times
Liquorice.JPG
Liquorice.JPG (79.23 KiB) Viewed 4602 times
p885
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by p885 »

They look like very sweet cats. I wish that I could take them but I already have 7 of my own and 4 strays. I hope that someone else will have a kind heart and take them.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Ha - call me cynical but I haven't a lot of faith in doctors. They're ok if you've got something like a nice straightforward sprained wrist but if a case needs detective work, they often fly by the seat of their pants and make wild guesses. In this case the doctor seems to have eliminated what he/she sees as the first possible cause for the baby's allergy (the cats) from the household without necessarily finding out for certain if it IS the cats. I'd be interested to know what tests, if any, have been done. There's also a possibility that the doctor's covering his/her own back by banning the cats. And there's a strong possibility that that child will carry on with the same symptoms for a long time until the cause is found - and it may well be nothing to do with the cats.

It's so sad that these owners have been coerced into getting rid of the cats for the child's sake, but great that they've found a temporary home with you. They're a bonny pair and I hope they find a decent home soon - good on you for taking them :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Yes well done again Helen. It is lovely that these two have found a caring Foster 'Mum' until they find a forever home of their own.

Not normally a big fan of white cats (bad experiences of a neighbour's yucky Persian) but I have really fallen for Polo, what a sweet face!
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

If lived closer & not on the other side of the world I'd take them in & they would definitely be indoor kitties. I send you so much gratefulness Helen.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

bobbys girl wrote:Not normally a big fan of white cats (bad experiences of a neighbour's yucky Persian) but I have really fallen for Polo, what a sweet face!
Daz says pfffffffft ........ how very dare you! :P
DSC09885.JPG
DSC09885.JPG (118.42 KiB) Viewed 4495 times
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

SO sorry Daz! :oops: I realise there are exceptions.

But 'if you knew Suki, the way that I knew Suki, oh, oh, oh, what a' - miserable little bat she was! :lol:
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

Awww, they look like beautiful little cats. I would have been heartbroken to loose them as well. I am glad you were there for them, Helen. And I hope they find a good and loving home soon.

Thank you. We need more people like you in the world. :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

bobbys girl wrote:SO sorry Daz! :oops: I realise there are exceptions.

But 'if you knew Suki, the way that I knew Suki, oh, oh, oh, what a' - miserable little bat she was! :lol:
Daz forgives you (he's a much nicer cat than that Suki, see! ;) ) :)

I know how that can happen, it did to me with a breed of dog. I once knew a real pain-in-the-butt Staffie who was permanently over-excited, jumping up and widdling everywhere (owner's fault really, not the dog's, I know). I have since met some really lovely Staffies, but in the same way am 'not normally a big fan of Staffies' due to that memory.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I've just had a lovely chat with a chap who's coming to see these two next week. The family have recently lost the last of their family of catsthat had lived with them all their lives - all made good ages and one made it to 23!! A 'proper' cat family then - I have everything crossed that all goes well next week. I think this would be a lovely home for these two waifs and would hopefully make up for a damp and dingy few weeks and spending Christmas in my pen. :)
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Helen I'll say a little prayer that they go to this family especially in the light that one of their fur babies was 23! Hope you & yours (human & kitties) have a safe & merry Xmas. This goes for everyone. Vivian
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Aww, that's lovely. Fingers crossed
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Hurrah - these two have gone to their new home. Really lovely family - animal lovers all, I couldn't have asked for better for them. :)
jillyvillyvoo
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by jillyvillyvoo »

Aw that's brilliant :D
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Helen that's great news & right on NYE. Hugs Vivian
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

oh yay!!!! such fantastic news. You must be so pleased

As a matter on interest, in cases like this - do you let the old owners know that their cats are rehomed and no longer in a pen? I know years back when I adopted Molly and Chloe, I actually met the old owners at a local rescue. They were moving from the UK (house and garden) to a flat in Berlin. One child already and a 2nd on their way so they gave themselves 3 months to rehome as they were two older cats (8 at the time) - I took them the first weekend they had decided :) The owners contacted the rescue just before they moved saying they were so much happier about it all knowing their cats had a new home and were loved and cared for and not left behind in a pen....
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Brilliant news!

I'll never be able to think of that outdoor shelter as other than 'Greebo's shack' 'staying out for the summer' but though it won't have been as groovy at this time of year, cats are very adaptable and compared with the conditions some cats (ownerless and owned) have to live in, your shelter is still feline glamping lol! (And most cats do like to have a window on the great outdoors even in the worst of weather; bet they used to sit outside at night to watch what was going on, if only the odd mouse.)

And now a great new home - good on you for saving these guys and giving them a roof over their heads until the right home came along :D
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

You're right Lilith - they used to sit out together on the roof of their (or Greebo's) little house at night! :)

Yes Ria, I do let the original owners know. With these two I actually called last week to say that they were likely to be homed as I thought the family would have a better Christmas if they knew.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Great news Helen :)

I was only saying to OH yesterday that I wonder what goes through cats heads when they end up in a new home. I guess the bottom line is that they don't analyse like humans - as long as they are getting what they need, they are happy. :D
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Nice to end the year with some good news! :D Well done Helen.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

Is is why I don't have kids...... The cats would win lol! But yes, there can be genuine reasons for giving up your animals of course. Doctors are generally idiots though..... A consultant here said ringworm was a WORM and refused to back down, And tried to treat the Girl for WORMS! She was a vet nurse student and nearly lost her mind with his stupidity! I have had doctors refuse me prophylactic treatment for leptospirosis on the basis that it was rare, while I was treating an affected feral cat. "Damn cats" she said....... Not "damn leptospirosis!"