brotherly rivalry and my boys "gifts"

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
alli
Frequent Cat Chatter

brotherly rivalry and my boys "gifts"

Post by alli »

I adopted two brothers from the DSPCA in late 2009. They were about 7mths at the time. Oscar was the more outgoing of the two, Felix seemed to be afraid of his own shadow. Over a period of two years the roles have reversed quite markedly.... with Felix huffing and puffing when he doesn't get his own way and quite regularly attacking Oscar. Of course they're both constantly hungry and assume that everytime I "come home" it's dinner time!!! I'm beginning to think that perhaps it's time they are separated, at least for Oscar's benefit ... Although I don't particularly like the "gifts" the worst is coming home to what was obviously a 'massacre' in my absence with only bird skull, feet and feathers in evidence. Last week it was a poor bird blackbird with a destroyed wing - I had to call on help to deal with that one...

Any other cat people out there that have experienced this???
Davethecat
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: brotherly rivalry and my boys "gifts"

Post by Davethecat »

Hi Alli,
Just so you know, you may not get many replies yet on this new forum as the official switch-over from the old forum isn't until Weds 19th, so most people are still only posting at the old forum (http://www.catchat.org/forum.html) until then. But if you can wait until Weds then check back here, I'm sure there will be replies for you then. :)
Cheers!
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Alli, this may be a silly question, but are they both neutered? I am assuming from your post that they both have free access during the day - hence the presents, which are inevitable I'm afraid if one of them is an efficient 'hunter'. My neighbours both have neutered boys and they eat for England, as it were but only one is a hunter and his mum has to put up with voles, birds, mice, etc...

I wonder whether there's a new cat on the block that one of your boys has an issue with, hence the more aggressive stance and posturing? However it doesn't sound like a serious enough case to separate them. Try giving active play - especially to the dominant cat - before bedtime - to use up some of that energy.
liquidblackuk
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by liquidblackuk »

I would agree that its probably something to with another cat outside the home that causes the problem, that's what sets my Molly off after her sister.

As for gifts, mine don't seem to have learnt how to catch anything living just yet.
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 8

Post by PeanutsFriend »

I think liquidblackuk is right. Might be another cat outside.
I have two cats of my nine that hunt and kill. They eat theirs.
Jill
alli
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by alli »

Hey ppl
Thanks so much for your responses :roll: So my "suspect" isn't the only one out there ... I still find it sickening tho', and the broken live one I referred to before the worst so far!! Fortunately, or not, :( I'm an "animal" lover first and foremost but I can't REALLY go and live on an ark with 2x2 :D or get my dog until I retire - the boys are sort of a stopgap til then :? I guess I'll have to continue bracing myself and checkng all 4 rooms before I can comfortably feed them and settle down for the evening :( Life's a bitch and then you die :D
Will be popping in regularly from now on ;)
Thanks again...

PS yes, they're both neutered!!
Haven't noticed any "new kids on the block" but then I'm gone all day Monday-Friday!
alli
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by alli »

Well five days later and my flat is gift-free. Felix, the now-dominant bro doesn't seem to be "huffin'" and "puffin'" so much so the three of us are a little more relaxed ... thanks again for all your 'tips' and for reassuring me I didn't have a vicious monster in Felix :shock: It's strange to me that the roles can change so COMPLETELY- still haven't seen any strangers about though. Was even wondering if my "edginess" about the subject would set Felix off?? :? He's definitely the 'efficient' hunter in this family and has always been faster than Oscar!!!
Sometimes I can laugh about it :D ... in the summer they go after the frogs that live under the hedge in the garden - I never realised before the boys that frogs actually squeal .... I can hear them from my bed and race to the rescue; they're clever little guys; just put their front "legs" over their heads and play dead 8-) - the cats get bored after a while and wander off!!! The only real victims are the young ones who "hide" somewhere in the flat during the day and I eventually find their poor dehydrated little bodies...
I did want to ask the lady (I think) how she can afford NINE cats but unfortunately when posting you leave the response page and I don't remember her name... Sorry!!!!
Alli