Posting pics

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Posting pics

Post by Mayday21 »

I give up I've tried everything. The last pic I edited was 800 pixels & still too large. Help please!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Posting pics

Post by Crewella »

I reduce to 400 pixels at the longest edge - it's what I have to do to upload cats on our rescue's homing page and it seems to work for the forum as well. Good luck!
Last edited by Crewella on Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Pic of Mayday

Post by Mayday21 »

Thanks Crewella. I'll try from my computer & not iPad when I've some time.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Sometimes it's too many Kb's. I get good results with max pic size 1000 pixels and 256Kb's. I think it is not just the size that is the problem, but the definition. Too much detail slows everything up and the whole shebang times out. Well that's my understanding! :?
p885
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by p885 »

Thanks for the info.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

I think I've done it. My Irish friend showed me this morning on the bus. Now how do get it to show on the side when I post something. Thanks for all the tips. This was taken around April this year.
Mayday
Mayday
image.jpeg (94.02 KiB) Viewed 5288 times
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

Pretty cat, and looking very comfortable!
Mayday21 wrote:Now how do get it to show on the side when I post something.
You need to make an avatar. Click on your name at the top of the forum, click "User Control Panel," and from there go to "Profile." At that point you can upload an avatar, which must be no bigger than 135 by 135 pixels.

Maybe you can use the software you already have to resize your picture, but I've found this site helpful:
http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/
You upload your original photo, and tell it what size avatar you need. If your original picture was not square, then it will select a square from the left, centre and right, and show you those so you can pick which you prefer. Once you've got it, save your avatar on your computer, then go back to your Forum Profile, and upload it.

Mary
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Thanks Mary. I've tried to load up avatars from my iPad but too large so I'll try thru my computer over the weekend. Did my photo of Mayday upload. She was such a sweetie! I hope to visit Deb @ Little Paws Kitten Rescue over weekend to spend time with her & her fur babies - kittens & older cats too.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

Yes, your photo shows up fine. I'm using a desktop computer - I haven't got round to internet on the move, yet.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Managed to get one up with much angst using various programs....this one is really small. When I have time I'll play some more and edit this one. At least something's up. This one was taken in April this year. My Irish friend commented "Ah the Queen has her crown!". Vivian
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Oops don't know what happened. But when I went into my profile for the second time the image had resized ... technology so all looks good now. Thanks Sue, Mary & Yogi for all the posts and help. It's just after 9am over here and I need to get some stuff done. I've been doing this since 8am!! Vivian :roll:
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Yay, you got there! Worth the effort, I love the 'crown'! :D
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

While on the subject of user profiles, I notice that some people have extra info on the display - number of cats, user location. I don't see any way I can enter this information on my own profile. Is it an option you only get after a certain number of posts?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I went to look at the 'Edit Profile' page ..... but I can't find it either! I've posted on the 'New Board' thread, so hopefully a mod will see it and probably laugh at me for being so dim, but at least point us in the right direction! :D
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Glad it wasn't just me Helen. I thought there must be a way of editing, but I couldn't find one.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

That makes me feel better! Thanks. :)

Maybe it's something that's gone missing during the recent updates.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi folks pls see mypost on rescue & rehoming. I thought that was the most appropriate place. Topic is Little Paws Kitten Rescue Qld Australia! A result of my visit to Deb today CATASTIC in the words of Crewella. Vivian.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

:D :D
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

Still on pictures, I use Flickr as my photo hosting site. When I tried to post pics of my new cats on here, I got the Flickr URL for the small size, 320 x 240 pixels, but I still couldn't embed the picture in my post. I just got the message "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct." I know the URL (web address) is correct, because if I paste it into my browser it will take me straight to my picture.

I can manage to insert pictures into posts in other forums, so it's a bit frustrating not to be able to do it here. The usual routine is, you have a URL for your picture, you put that into your text with Image tags before and after, and it shows in the post, but not here. Clearly it's not just me, as most people who have pictures to show put in web links rather than embedded images.

When you come across fun pictures like this one which I found on another site recently:
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/691/2346 ... 1b3dc3.jpg
it would be nice to show it to people without their having to open up another tab or window.

Mary
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Mary I used one of the links Yogi posted, resized it & downloaded Mayday's pic to my Picture folder & uploaded it from the folder. A couple of the others I tried mentioned something about forums accepting images from 'remote sites'. Perhaps that's the problem with Flicker. I'm no IT person just a thought. Hugs to Rocket & Bridie & you too. Oh & it looks like I have to see Star Wars on my own. The friend of the family who I'm going camping with has no interest in seeing it. I'm going out to a Turkish restaurant for dinner tonight and I'll see if anyone intends seeing it & tag along. If not I've been to the flicks before on my own.

And I've booked to see Cats 7 Feb. The family friend is coming to see that with me.

And on that note hugs to Rocket & Bridie & all other fur babes.

Vivian
Jane

Post by Jane »

MarySkater wrote:While on the subject of user profiles, I notice that some people have extra info on the display - number of cats, user location. I don't see any way I can enter this information on my own profile. Is it an option you only get after a certain number of posts?
Hi,

There is a problem with editing profiles at the moment but we are looking into it, thanks for pointing it out.

Jane
Jane

Post by Jane »

Hello!

This issue has now been sorted.
When logged in, under your Username (top right), go to “User Control Panel”, then click the “Profile” tab and the options are all there now.

Jane
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

Thanks, Jane.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Posting pics & location

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi how do you post your location. In my user control panel in the time zone Australia/Brisbane there but location is not posted?
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

When I go to User Control Panel, I see 4 tabs:
Overview
Board preferences (which is where the timezone is set)
Usergroups

If I go into Profile, that's where I can set my location - and a lot of other stuff, although I haven't filled in most of it.

Mary
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Posting pics & location

Post by Mayday21 »

Thanks Mary I didn't scroll down far enough. All done. Vivian
Zack99
New Cat Chatter

Post by Zack99 »

Hey, cute kittens..................Sleepy kittens :D
Why don't add some captions to make the pics more adorable and undefendable.....

Try watermarking these photos with some tools both online or apps, then show these photos to your kitten, I'm pretty sure they will look at you with an expression that you are an alien to them. :lol: Because I did this before... :lol: