Yankee candles

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Gothgranny
Frequent Cat Chatter

Yankee candles

Post by Gothgranny »

Hi guys, does anyone know if Yankee candles are toxic to cats? Thanks
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Yankee candles

Post by Kay »

a quick google of 'scented candles and cats' suggest the answer is very much yes, and could account for a fair number of mysterious illnesses in our pets - same goes I suspect for a lot of air fresheners
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

Yep I would be wary. I used to use scented candles and one of our cats suffered with his chest (not because of the candles but I don’t think it helped) so I stopped using them. Just like some scents/essential oils can irritate humans they can affect cats too.
nanny pamy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nanny pamy »

Oh I'm glad I saw this. I was given three of theses candles for Christmas. I actually start coughing myself when I use them an I've noticed Theo leaves the room. :lol:
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

nanny pamy wrote:Oh I'm glad I saw this. I was given three of theses candles for Christmas. I actually start coughing myself when I use them an I've noticed Theo leaves the room. :lol:
Had to laugh at this - it reminded me that I now have an ally in the get OH to stop smoking plan (guys, it's killing me I hate it). If OH starts smoking Gracie gives him a dirty look, screws up her face and leaves the room with a flick of her tail. OH says 'Oh, don't you start'! :lol:

Our lot avoid candles but don't seem to mind a few drops of (proper) essential oils in water in one of those burner thingies.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

I have to admit that I do use scented candles sometimes. I have some xmas yankee ones, bu usually use pure wax ones with natural oils in - not the cheap glade type ones.

Re the smoking. We haven't smoked in the house for around 10 years - mainly due to the cats. We stand outside shivering in the snow and rain!

BUT - I can highly recommend buying a decent vaper. I had a cheaper one and didn't have much success with it. This week, I bit the bullet and bought a 'sub-ohm' kit and it is amazing. It is virtually like smoking without the dangers. Icing on the cake is that it costs peanuts to run. I paid £10 for a 30ml bottle, which will probably last 3 - 4 weeks. I found out that I can buy the same stuff 100ml for £20. It is a minefield and there are so many products out there, I took advice from a friend's husband.

I bought a 50W eleaf Istick battery (they call the base the battery) and for the top, I bought a Kangertech Subtank mini. You need to change the burning head every month or so and they are about £2 each. It is amazing! :) (And I have been smoking for 40 years since I was 13)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I use scented candles and joss sticks sometimes, but never burn oils as I'm too scared of the cats knocking them over and getting oil on them.

Mark, I've been a 'vaper' since last July, down from 30 ciggies a day to two, which I'm still trying to kick. I have several kits and now make my own coils as well. It's made a HUGE difference! :D
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Mine came with the option of building your own tank (even came with the Japanese cotton) but you can use ready made ones. Early days, but I am still smoking with my morning coffee, one after dinner and with my wine in the evening.

I was even googling last night as it churns out so much vapour I was concerned about the cats, but apparently it is harmless to them (sad, but they even did some tests with cats and dogs) The vapour hangs in the air like smoke and plays tricks with the (at least mine) mind :) - I could almost smell smoke.

PS - Helen, which strength do you use? -I used 18mg with the ordinary stuff, but the woman in the shop assured me that the type of liquid for Sub-ohm is different and that 3mg would be OK - despite me telling her I was going from being a heavy roll-up smoker. I still think maybe I should be on the 6mg.

PS - I bought 30ml of Eco Clouds Dandelion and Burdock, which is more like Pernod or aniseed balls really :)

I am going to try some American stuff that has been steeped in tobacco leaves.

What I would say to anyone thinking of vaping is don't make the same mistake as me and order from eBay or Amazon. I bought a very good fake - well it looks good, but doesn't work! - I ended up going to the proper vape shop which is less than a minute's walk from my house.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I don't sub-ohm - tried and it didn't suit me (I'm a mouth-to-lung vaper on an e-pipe!), so I started on 18mg in June and am now on 12mg. Sub-ohming burns a lot more juice so they say to drop to at least 6mg or 3mg or you'll kill your throat.

I like tobacco based, or sweet tobacco juice. I've got a half a 10ml bottle of 6mg Manabush (my favourite brand) lurking somewhere that I'm not likely to use. PM me your address and I'll happily send it to you if you want to try?

Normally I'd advise new vapers to do lots of research online ....... but there's really no point in my telling you that is there! ;)

PS. I've not managed to kick the first ciggie of the day or the one after dinner yet either, but I'd rather count the 28 I'm now NOT smoking! ;)
Willowgill
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Willowgill »

I'm slowly regaining my sense of smell after losing it 5 years ago and have just got one of Yankee Candles centre piece wax melt pots - so far neither of my cats have been near it. If I do have candles on I never leave them unattended as it's too easy for one of the cats to jump on the table and burn their tails! I'm pretty sure they wouldn't lick them though and Daph licks all sorts of odd things - plastic carriers and the bathroom tiles to name just two!
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Apparently Yankee make an electric melter, so no flame :)

We also have an Ashleigh & Burwood oil burner. Apparently it kills bacteria & odours in the air. I know that you only have to burn it for 20 minutes and can still smell it the next day. They are the type you light and after a minute or so when the flame dies down, you blow it out. There is a little ceramic thing that glows. You put a cap on to smother it when you want to put it out.
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieJulie »

I did a bit of research on this because of my own asthma and suspected it in one of my cats too and it seems that scented candles are a big culprit. I still use mine, but will only burn them in Winter (seems to have less effect) and only for a limited period of time. My asthmatic cat was a feral who has since moved into the shed and the others don't seem affected but if they did, then of course I would stop using them. Some articles suggested there were certain ingredients in some candles that were more of a trigger, and I've certainly noticed the difference between certain candles.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

They make my eyes water and catch my throat, so I hate to think how they affect cats. And I hate to think what volatile chemicals are in them to spread the scent, so I never use them. I have heard that those scented sticks in bottles of scent are seriously toxic to cats, and it's likely it's very similar stuff in the candles.

Let's face it, we can all live without scented candles, and if there's even a slight chance it will be harmful to you or your cat's health, it's no great loss not to use them.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

Just to add to my comment, watching "Trust me I'm a Doctor" on BBC last night they highlighted that many of these scented household products (included candles, scent sticks, room sprays and scented cleaning products) contain Limonene, which when released into the atmosphere turns into Formaldehyde. Which explains why I react so badly to the stuff. They did say houseplants absorb some of this, but really, do you want formaldehyde in the house?
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

lilynmitz wrote:Just to add to my comment, watching "Trust me I'm a Doctor" on BBC last night they highlighted that many of these scented household products (included candles, scent sticks, room sprays and scented cleaning products) contain Limonene, which when released into the atmosphere turns into Formaldehyde. Which explains why I react so badly to the stuff. They did say houseplants absorb some of this, but really, do you want formaldehyde in the house?
Gosh, that is a bit of a worry - I've got quite a few scented candles at home; will have a look to see if they've got anything listed on the label... :?
Willowgill
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Willowgill »

Eeek - I've got one burning here on my desk right now! I have anosmia (lost my sense of smell & taste 5 years ago) and it's only recently that I find I can vaguely smell some of the scented candles so have gone a bit mad with them. I might have to outweigh the pleasure they're giving with the possible chemicals in the air!
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

It's on the BBC News website today. Limonene = formaldehyde, which is a carcinogen. Either ditch the candles, or if you must keep them, get more houseplants in and open windows.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

OK, going to play devils advocate here now but this article is quite reassuring

http://candles.lovetoknow.com/Do_Yankee ... ave_Toxins

and having read through the BBC article http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35281338 it seems that it's the citrus perfumes and scents that are the main culprits and more of those probably found in air freshners and cleaning products than candles?

Both articles I think are quite a good read and one can draw ones own conclusions from them. Personally I will continue with the scented candles; I'm more than happy to ditch the air freshener in the bathroom and have a good look at the few cleaning products I use.

Needs to be added that I live in a small 1 bed flat - lounge in the front, bedroom in the back; both rooms having a cat flap that is permanently propped open so fresh air 24/7 from them; and doors and windows that are opened as often as I can as I can't bear stuffy air ;)

But very interesting reading in the BBC article about which plants are best for absorption of toxins - good excuse to go buy a fern or two

All in all, I think common sense has to prevail - everything in moderation and if you suspect that your pet or you is affected by something like this then it's an obvious conclusion to discontinue them. But if we really had to remove everything that could be remotely unhealthy for us / our pets in one way or the other - I think we'd end up in a bare cold room with nothing in it...
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

I agree Ria, and we have to bear in mind it was a very small sample, ie 8 (?) households, but the initial findings were quite pronounced and worrying, and indicate that further research is definitely needed. If we just ventilate our homes much better, the effects are greatly reduced, and you'll get less build up of odours and less condensation too. But reducing the chemicals we introduce into our houses is always a good thing.

Have to say, two cat flaps permanently propped open sounds a bit nippy though! The things we do for our cats.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

I used to work with a girl in the 80s who had previously worked for Olay (then it was called Oil of Ulay) she said they put Formeldahyde in it.

I would say that cheap sprays etc usually contain limonene and/or linalool, but decent candles (ie the Parks ones I buy in TK Maxx) are pure real wax and natural oils.

http://www.parkscandles.com/about-our-n ... rs-candles
Camdengirl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Camdengirl »

I avoid burning scented candles/oils at all, as just because many essential oils are 'safe' for us doesn't mean they are ok for cats. Our livers work differently, and cats don't have the enzymes required to fully metabolise many essential oils. Using small amounts in well-ventilated areas probably doesn't cause any obvious adverse effects, but that doesn't necessarily make the process benign, so to be safe I would avoid essential oils in a cat's home at all.

Cats obviously don't know essential oils can be toxic to them, but may well make themselves scarce when they are heavy in the air because their sense of smell is much more acute than ours, so what smells nice to us could be quite overwhelming to them – a bit like when someone wearing waaaay too much perfume/aftershave sits next to us on the train!!
Felinebliss
New Cat Chatter

Post by Felinebliss »

Hi people, we are really new here.

A very interesting topic, and one that is rarely discussed and yet, to me, it has huge implications.

My take on it.

So what candles will it be this weekend? Cherry? Mandarin? Lemon? Pine fresh? Vanilla? Chocolate? Sage &Citrus? - They all feature in the top 20 fragrances for candles.

So what does your cat think of this? Well lets look at the smells that cats detest. Cinnamon, Citrus, Peppermint, Lavender, Chocolate, Coffee, Cironella the list goes on. All of these feature in Cat repellents and some (many more) are dangerous to your pet.

You then, think that your new highly styled candle flavoured with rare essences of lemon, basil and a secret mixture of oriental spices, is creating a nice fresh inviting ambiance in your living spaces. Your cat thinks; at best - 'Whats that horrible smell? I cant get away from it and it doesn't smell like home any more' At worst - 'I am confused, I used to like it here, it was my home. Now I am being punished, I must find a safe space or I will be ill, or die!'

Imagine the worst smell you could think of, maybe three day old warm dead prawns! Now amplify that smell by 14 times and cover you living areas with it. Nice?

We have a choice of what smells we endure - your cat does NOT.

I believe that cats should not have to tolerate the myriad of strong fragranced candles bought by our well-meaning owners. Many of these fragrances are repugnant to our feline friends and some can be downright dangerous as even certain strong smells can have an effect on a cats internal bits!

More apparent though is the behaviour exhibited by a cat that finds itself immersed in an aroma that its owner finds attractive, but the poor cat detests the smell.

As your pets sense of smell is around 14 times stronger than yours, cat knows that home just does not smell like home any more, and worse, home smells like a strange and forbidding place. It’s no wonder there can be sudden and sometimes dramatic changes in mood. Stressed cats destroy furniture, wallpaper, carpet or even each other as they try to come to terms with their ‘new’ surroundings.

An obvious answer for cats it to mark their territory, they just cannot understand why their human does not like this – strange human.

We all need to be very careful when selecting candles.
1. What is the aroma, and will my cat like (be able to tolerate) it?
2. What is the candle made of? Will it give off parabens / diesel fumes / other dangerous fumes?
3. Some of the so called 'Pet Candles' are designed to cover up pet odours - how does your pet feel about that?

Yes, it is nice to have a pleasant aroma in the family home - but it should be nice for the pets too.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Hi Felinebliss, I agree with all your points, and do agree that it's something we all need to bear in mind. I had a cat that detested the smell of lavender, to the extent that she would limbo out from under my hand and avoid me if I'd just washed my hands in my favourite lavender hand soap!

On the other hand, it WAS my favourite lavender hand soap, I used it for years (she'd known it all her life and it took me a while to catch on!) so for her it WAS what home smelled like, she just didn't much like it when it was too fresh. She still spent a large proportion of her time on my lap.

Rather than abandon all scents, I think we just need, as you say, to be aware of these things and keep an eye out for signs of how our cats feel about it. :)
Felinebliss
New Cat Chatter

Post by Felinebliss »

Thanks for the comments.

I think this issue is very important to 'House cats' or 'Flat cats': those that do not get out in the fresh air and live a perfectly nice albeit unnatural existence.

Owners could do well to consider what the cat would naturally like and dislike in these circumstances. Cats who have the use of a cat-flap to transcend from indoor to outdoor environments are very lucky indeed and have choice, but those trapped by their circumstances have no such choice. Some may think this train of thought over dramatic or just plain idiotic, but just consider for a moment the issue of cat food? What goes into it? And why?.

Is it because of the cats likes, needs or 'tastes'? Or, is it our imposition of our likes and aspirations on our cat?. Interestingly, cat food recipes have developed in complexity and variation, directly in line with gourmet cooking programmes in the public domain. This would seem to indicate that some are feeding their cats food that they would like to eat also. Indeed I am sure I have seen an advert that directly suggests this.

Cats are well developed, domesticated, highly intelligent ANIMALS. They are still wild at the core and always display basic 'wild' characteristics (despite the efforts of some on You-tube and Facebook!). They are carnivores and cannot tolerate some foodstuffs that are far too high in calories and are too rich for domestic bliss. They need to run around and climb trees etc.to burn off the calories.

So, back to smells! Is it what we like and to hell with the cat! Or do we give some consideration to one of the three overwhelmingly efficient senses developed by our companions. That is of course the sense of smell, the others being sight, and hearing.

Avoiding the cliché of mouse flavoured cat food we can improve our friends domestic bliss by careful choice of human imposed aromas.
Last edited by Felinebliss on Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

I recently invested in an ultrasonic diffuser. It was £35.00 well spent. A few drops of a GOOD essential oil goes a long way. Some of the more citrusy scents make their little noses wrinkle but they quite like a lot of the others.

I would not go back to petroleum based candles for anything. They are no good for cats OR humans.
Felinebliss
New Cat Chatter

Post by Felinebliss »

Absolutely agree!

Most people burn 'flavoured diesel' in their homes every day.

We can CHOOSE to kill the environment, your cat cannot. And WOULD NOT even if he /she had a choice!!!!
Last edited by Felinebliss on Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

I do occasionally burn candles, but only buy natural wax ones. Not cheap, but you can often find them in TK Maxx for a decent price

I Would be interested in an ultrasonic diffuser. Which one do you have?
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi Mark, it's called 101 ultrasonic aroma diffuser 'made by zen'. That's funny cos I have a friend called Zen! :lol:

It has a choice of settings for the diffuser and lights. The lady at our local health store recommend it.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi Mark, it's called 101 ultrasonic aroma diffuser 'made by zen'. That's funny cos I have a friend called Zen! :lol:

It has a choice of settings for the diffuser and lights. The lady at our local health store recommend it. It is supposed to be ultrasonic - but I have weird hearing and know when it switches on. :roll:
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Thanks - will look into it. I know reed sticks are dangerous around cats and plug-ins aren't good, so maybe a good option
Last edited by MarkB on Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.