Animal Friends insurance

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
ladymissk
Experienced Cat Chatter

Animal Friends insurance

Post by ladymissk »

Hi, and a Happy New Year!!!
Has anyone had any dealings with Animal Friends insurance? I rang them yesterday about a claim for Beryl my cat, the vet bill was 300 quid, so not an amount I can really afford.
They are refusing to pay because they said she had a pre diagnosed condition, which she hadn't.
Apparently other people have had trouble with them, any advice?
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: Animal Friends insurance

Post by MarkB »

I haven't had any dealings with them, but considered it at one point as they donate to animal charities.

Really you need to get your vet to write to them stating that the condition wasn't existing. They can't argue with that. Failing that, there must be some kind of appeal process or ombudsman process?
Last edited by MarkB on Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Sadly Animal Friends have a bad reputation for paying out, good luck
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling they may be the same company that was known as M&L (Or some other initials) previously and had a bad reputation then. The bottom line though is if your vet is certain you aren't trying to claim for an existing condition (or a related condition) they don't have a leg to stand on and they will have to pay.
Nicyorke79
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Nicyorke79 »

I had a bit of trouble getting them to pay out for treatment Puzzle had for her oral cancer as they said it was classed as dental treatment. My vets sorted it out for me by sending them a letter and they paid out soon after. Didn't get much though as i didn't realise they would knock so much off because of her age. They shouldn't be allowed to do that.

Nicola x
ladymissk
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by ladymissk »

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll try ask the vet for a letter x
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Apparently they were on Watchdog in October http://www.petinsurancereview.co.uk/animal_friends.asp
ladymissk
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by ladymissk »

They've refused Beryls bill of 368 quid, because I took hereto the vets in May for her claws clipped, and just mentioned to the vet she was drinking water a lot. He didn't test her or anything, just said keep an eye on her. They are now saying she had a pre existing medical condition!!! This can't be right?
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

when did you take out the policy? If it was well before May then they don't have a leg to stand on and you should be able to get a letter from the vet confirming that whatever it is you're claiming for is not a pre-existing condition

companies like that make me so mad! Stick to your guns and take it to the top - yes annoying and frustrating on your behalf, but they probably rely on people to just give up
lmills75
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by lmills75 »

I have to say I've not had a problem with Animal Friends - they've paid up for everything with me, even when an op had to be redone and I feared they may get difficult.
My vets do say that they are notoriously bad at paying out though, but a letter from them should sort things out - Animal Friends can't argue with that.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

As long as the vet didn't suggest doing blood tests at the time you mentioned Beryl was drinking a lot, you should be fine. Did you speak to your vet? - It is likely the vet will charge for a letter. I even had to pay my GP for a letter several years ago that I needed for uni (as a mature student) to explain why a chronic health problem could delay my course work. They may be able to do it with a phone call.
ladymissk
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by ladymissk »

The vet won't write a letter as his argument is that he can't confirm whether or not she had a condition as I didn't take the test!!! I'm so bloody mad, I don't have leg to stand on, but I'm not letting it go without a fight..totally wrong :@
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

What??!! Is your vet getting a kick back from Animal Friends? Not very good for customer relations with YOU who I think should be far more important than being jobsworth over an insurance claim. Maybe some people out there know what the deal is between vets and insurers.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

You just need your vet to confirm that Beryl has not been treated for whatever they say the pre-existing condition is before...

How can they say something is pre-existing when Beryl has never been treated for it?

I'd kick up a fuss - a right royal one too
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Marla »

I agree and don't let them get away with this!
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

As I said before (but probably didn't make clear) if the vet suggested tests at the time you mentioned Beryl's drinking and you declined, they might take sides with the insurer.