At my wits end - do I have my 7 year old put to sleep?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Nettie
New Cat Chatter

At my wits end - do I have my 7 year old put to sleep?

Post by Nettie »

This morning Teddy, 7 year old Exotic Shorthair was breathing quickly and seemed out of sorts.
I took him to the vets straight away and now a nightmare has unfolded. I've been told he has severe pulmonary edema and a failing heart. They can drain his lungs and if successful put him on lots of different tablets for his heart but he may only live for another year or year and a half at most. What do I do? Help and advise from anyone in similar circumstances would be so much appreciated.
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: At my wits end - do I have my 7 year old put to sleep?

Post by hgale »

I'm so sorry to read about poor Teddy, Nettie. I'm afraid I have no experience of either condition but I want you to know that you are both in my thoughts. Please give Teddy a fuss from me, and a big {hug} for you.

Helen
Willowgill
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Willowgill »

Unfortunately I also have no experience of this - poor Teddy is so young to be going through this. If he's in distress with his breathing I would be inclined to have the drain done even if it's just to ease him while you try to figure out the next course of action. If it's any help my parents had a dog many years ago who had heart failure and they had to keep having his abdomen (I think) drained. This did give him several more months of a good quality of life. i can't remember if he was also on medication but think he was. Feel for you and Teddy.
notjustacat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by notjustacat »

Although not quite the same situation. I spent over £700 in vet bills to try and save my 16 year old female cat Rudi who had cancer. I would have spent twice as much if it would have saved her. From her first diagnoses to that horrible last trip to the vet was about 4 weeks. But in the end I just knew that to try and prolong things was not what was best for her. You will know by instinct when that time has come. I am sure others on this site may have experience of Teddy's ailment and able to offer some positive advice. I found that the people on this site were a great comfort to me as I am sure you will. My thoughts are with you and Teddy.
Camdengirl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Camdengirl »

Don't give up on Teddy just yet, see how it pans out with the treatment. Another Catchatter had a cat that was diagnosed with a heart condition and not given long to live, and he survived for years! Even if Teddy only has a year or a year and a half, that's a lot of time for a cat to be loved.

Fingers crossed the treatment has a positive effect, and do let us know how Teddy gets on.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

I think I would agree with Camdengirl, I would do all I could and you never know..if you don't you may regret it. I am not in your position though so if you're really unsure, I ask my vet what they would do if it were their cat.

Please give your little chap a gentle snuggle from me xx
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

With his age, I'd give him that chance. Rather than thinking he'd only have 12-18 months, think that you are buying him 12-18 months.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Nettie, welcome to CC and so sorry it's because you and Teddy are going through this. I cannot add anything to what has been said; but I agree with the others; at 7 Teddy is still quite young so I would definitely give him a chance.

Big (((hug))) to you and a gentle fuss to Teddy; please do let us know how you get on
Hazel
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Hazel »

Poor Teddy. I also have no experience of this but can I suggest you contact Teddy's breeder or an exotic shorthair cat club to see if they have any information? I only say this because I'm wondering if its a breed thing with them having flat faces, my mums old pug had breathing difficulties when he got old and had an inhaler to help him.
If it not something known to Exotics then all you can do is listen to your vet and as someone suggested ask them what they would do if Teddy were their cat. If it was me I'd want to try the treatment, if he's only 7 it might make a huge difference to him and who knows how long he has left.
My Max had a very aggressive cancer in his leg, we didnt realise how bad (he had his leg amputated) until about 4 years later the vets said they were amazed he had lived that long!

Good luck. Hugs to you and Teddy. I love Exotics, they are so cute. x
Nettie
New Cat Chatter

Post by Nettie »

To everyone who was kind enough to reply to my plea for advice yesterday - I want to thank you. We met with one of the vets at 5pm yesterday. She went through Teddy's xrays with us and was very honest with us about his prognosis and the quality of life he may have for a short time should we proceed with surgery and the ongoing risk of sudden blood clots and repeated fluid build up due to his failing heart. She also told us that even to attempt to drain his lungs might be too much for him. My partner and I then made that awful decision and Teddy was put to sleep.

My heart is broken. At the end of February we had to say goodbye to our oldest cat, Guy, a long haired tabby who was around 15 years old and had come to us from Cats Protection in 2001. He had been poorly since Christmas and I had prepared myself whilst nursing him that the outcome would not be a good one but the absolute shock of losing Teddy so suddenly is devastating. I had noticed his breathing seemed odd and a bit laboured at breakfast time yesterday and took him into the vets at 11.00 am and now he is gone from me.

He had his 7th birthday on 6 May this year. Last August at his booster appointment I had been told that he still had a heart murmur - Scale 2 but I was never unduly worried.

He was the most loving little thing. The moment we first saw him at the breeder's home we decided his name on the spot. He had the face of a little angel and the temperament to match. I used to hold him in my arms like a baby - which is what he was to me - my little baby.

I feel very guilty that at Easter we put our two remaining cats into a cattery for the very first time just for two days. Even though I knew Teddy was extremely timid. He was very unhappy and hid all the time. Once at home he was absolutely fine again but I now keep thinking that the stress added to the load on his heart and if we had not taken him there things might have been different.......

We now only have one cat left with us - she is also an exotic shorthair and was given away to us after her second home no longer wanted her saying she attacked the grandchild. She has never been anything but wonderful with us and she used to groom Teddy and they would often be found cuddled up in the same basket. I have lot of photographs of them together and when I can look at them they will be a great comfort.

I am worried that she will be lonely now and miss him. We think she is around 10 years old now - her previous owners did not really know for certain.

We had planned to get a cat sitter in for the two of them so we could go away at the end of June but I am going to cancel the holiday as I think it would be wrong to leave one cat all alone in the house with only two short visits a day for a week.

I think we will look for another Exotic kitten/young cat or perhaps two so we can hopefully recreate the lovely little family we used to have.

I can say all of this here even though I have tears rolling down my face and it helps a little. I know you will all know what it's like.

Thank you to everyone who has read about my little Teddy. How does a little bundle of fur tear such a hole in your heart? Bless you darling Teddy we could not have loved you more.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Nettie, I am so very very sorry :( I really hoped you'd still have some time with your boy. Too many of us have gone through a sudden loss of a beloved pet and understand what you're going through. Sending you a ginormous ((((hug)))).

RIP sweet Teddy; so very young. Play hard at the bridge and sweet dreams

x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I'm so very sorry, but from the sound of it, I think you made the right decision for poor Teddy.

Rest in peace, Teddy. (((hugs)))
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Dear Nettie,

I am crying as I read your post and I am so very sorry for you and your partner, your remaining little girl, and for darling Teddy, taken from you far too soon. Poor sweet baby. He was loved to the end and you will always love him and he will be in your heart forever. Take very good care of yourself, and come back and chat to us on here. We all share your heartache. ((Hugs)) xx
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by hgale »

I'm so very sorry to read this, Nettie, but I also think you made the right decision for poor Teddy. I lost Mischa to kidney disease and although the Vet told me it was manageable, I knew that at her age, she wouldn't have had a good quality of life. I also felt guilty, I had to go away to a Conference and it was that weekend she became ill, but give yourself time, it will get better.

RIP dear Teddy, play hard at Rainbow Bridge, my Kitten and Mischa will be there to greet you. And a big {{hug}} for you Nettie.
Hazel
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Hazel »

Oh I'm so sorry for your loss, I too have have tears rolling down my face reading about your sweet little boy. Hugs to you and your little girl, she must be feeling so sad now too.
Please keep chatting to us all, we all know exactly what you are going through.
Play hard at the bridge Teddy. x
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Shelly and Dora »

Bless you & bless little Teddy.

I can't add anything that hasn't already been said but my thoughts are with you at this difficult time xx
Willowgill
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Willowgill »

Nettie I too am so sorry - it leaves such a huge whole in your heart which you think will never be filled. I've lost several pets over the years but none affected me as much as losing my darling boy Harry 3 years ago and even now it doesn't take a lot to bring the tears back. But time does help and having another baby to look after also helps - Daph was sent to me and I'm sure Harry had a paw in that. Give yourself time and take care - be safe in the knowledge you loved Teddy enough to make the right decision at the end.
mell-annie
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by mell-annie »

You have done the right thing Nettie. Poor teddy would have spent his last days in fear and pain if you had put him through all the tests needed. Just giving tablets is enough To frighten most cats.

Let your other cat have a bit of grieving time for a couple of months before introducing a new cat.
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

Nettie, I am so very, very sorry for your loss. Night, night Teddy, enjoy the sunshine at the bridge.
Lin1611
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Lin1611 »

Nettie, so sorry to read your sad story, you must be missing Teddy dreadfully but you made the right choice, it's a decision we all dread and it never rests easy. Hope the good memories are giving you some comfort.
Lin xx
jan1957
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by jan1957 »

Hi Nettie
I just wanted to say you're in my thoughts and prayers at this very sad time.
I hope you can gain some strength from the loving times you shared with Teddy and the happy memories imprinted on your heart.
Take care Nettie
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi Nettie.....so sorry to hear of you losing poor Teddy, but bless you, you did the right thing for him.....I have been there too.........I said a prayer and asked my boy 'CC' to meet him at the bridge....I had to make the same decision too for him.....xxx
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jan »

I am so sad too ... we reluctantly took on my mother's cat 10 months ago and are now so fond of him that it breaks my heart to think we will have to say goodbye to him one day (he is now 11).

Just remember you did all you could for Teddy - and that is all any cat can ask.