When is the right time?

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Karenanne
Frequent Cat Chatter

When is the right time?

Post by Karenanne »

So, it's only been a week since I lost my lovely black Gatsby and yesterday I felt able to put a tribute to him on fb. To cut a long story short, I've now been contacted by someone I only know through our mutual love of old cars. He is seeking to re home his 8 and 6 year old black cats through no fault of his own. Anyone with experience of rehoming older cats? I don't know what to do. All I do know is thinking about this has helped me today. I don't want this to be 'all about me' and I know there will never be a replacement cat. Any advice? Kx
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: When is the right time?

Post by booktigger »

I don't know if there is ever a right time, but having new cat (s) does help, and maybe this is a sign it's the right time
Figarocat
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Figarocat »

I always go with my gut in life. If you're tempted to take on the new mog's, I think you should go for it. They'll comfort you through your rough time
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

VERY sorry to read about Gatsby.

It's different for everyone, the decision of when the time is right for a cat's successor/s. And sometimes the matter does get taken out of your hands, as I've found myself. I'm certain word goes out about a 'vacancy'.

Just one thing. If at the back of your mind you're afraid of being 'disloyal' to Gatsby by taking on new cat/s, I don't think you are. It's a tribute to Gatsby; he gave you so much love, and you clearly have so much love to give to successor/s.

It's a decision only you can make of course, and all the best x
Figarocat
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Figarocat »

Just found this on a lost and found site, might help you consider what to do
Just found this on a lost and found site, might help you consider what to do
image.jpeg (37.87 KiB) Viewed 4514 times
Karenanne
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Karenanne »

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I am going to see the two black cats in the next few days. The owner has said I can visit as much as I want. I do realise that I can't instantaneously build the history I had with Gatsby and that cats won't neccesarily decide to 'introduce themselves' spontaneoulsy. It is early days but I hope I can make a decision that isn't selfish. Wish me luck. I went back to my running group tonight so hopefully I will be able to sleep. X
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Yes indeed good luck. visiting them and getting to know them sounds like a good idea.

You'll grieve for Gatsby for a long time; there are no short cuts. But I do hope you find comfort in the future company of cats - and i hope you sleep tonight x
Memememe
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Memememe »

Hi I lost my lovely Suzie nearly 3 weeks ago she was 15 and it broke my heart when she was out to sleep I haven't really eaten or slept since. I was told of a 2 yer old rescue cat Amy and picked her up yesterday she's so scared and timid I'm in the same situation as you not sure I've done the right thing I want to give Amy the loving home she has never had but am finding it very difficult I keep crying as she looks so much like Suzie. I know it's only been a day but am worried she won't ever come out of Hiding under the bed. My thoughts are with you in his difficult time
Last edited by Memememe on Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karenanne
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Karenanne »

What a lovely thing to do. I am sure Amy will be out and exploring soon. It is so hard, isn't it. I went to visit the two cats yesterday and they are beautiful but I have just cried every since. I don't know. They are not in rescue and there may be others interested in taking them. Is Amy the same colour cat? I am only asking because Gatsby was a little black cat and I would like another black cat one day as I know they are often harder to find homes for. X
GillianH
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by GillianH »

Firstly I am sorry to hear of your loss.

I re-homed two older cats some years ago. A brother and sister who were 7 and 9 respectively. I went to the rescue centre to get another cat but as these two were to be homed together I got a pair :)

They were the most beautiful cats and lived until they were 14 and 17. I was heartbroken when I lost them.

The two you are going to see will not of course replace your Gatsby but you will be helping two lovely cats have a loving home which in itself is a great thing to do.
Memememe
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Memememe »

It is really hard but will be worth it in the long run, Suzie was a tortoise shell mostly ginger Amy is more of a Grey colour. I also had a black cat Sooty who was put to sleep 5 years ago and would have also got a Black cat but saw Amy and fell in love with her picture. I cried last night as I thought I wasn't doing the right thing but I know I have as she will be so loved and I'm sure you will love the little ones we never forget our furballs that have passed and will always be in our hearts but they would want us to share the love with other cats
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I must admit I've always found it a huge comfort to be able to take in needy cats when I'm mourning the loss of one. It doesn't replace them, but it does help to fill the cat-shaped hole in your life, and it helps the cats, of course. :)
MikeTrump1
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by MikeTrump1 »

You are the only one to determine the best time. Your heart shall tell you when it's ready to let go and has space to accommodate again. Just give it time.