Working at an animal refuge

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Working at an animal refuge

Post by emmab »

I have always wanted to work at an animal refuge as I adore animals and looking after them, although I have one big problem. I have real issues with the emotional side of working at these places. I am overly sensitive with anything to do with animals and seeing them needing homes or in a bad way is horrible for me. However I so want to work with these wonderful creatures but this one thing is stopping me which is such a shame. Does anyone on here work at an animal care centre and has anyone had to overcome the same issues? My husband would love to see me do this but I am very concerned how it will affect me emotionally and I just know I will be bringing animals home and my husband will then divorce me :lol:
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Working at an animal refuge

Post by Crewella »

It is hard, and I don't think anybody finds the emotional side of rescue easy. I foster, and the way I cope with things is to try and look at the bigger picture and concentrate on the positive outcomes. I'm very lucky in that several of the new owners have kept in contact and let me know how some of my ex-foster cats are doing, and however hard it has been to let them go I am hugely gratified by how happy they look in their new homes. I have also taken on several old ex-strays who were in a dreadful state at first and it has been hugely rewarding to see them fill out and enjoy a 'happy retirement'. Even though, inevitably, their time with me has been relatively short as it has been the last few months of their lives, when they have eventually passed on I cannot regret having been involved, sad as it has been.

Two things I would suggest - firstly that you make sure that any rescue or shelter that you get involved with has a 'no kill' policy, there are plenty around and you don't need the additional stress of seeing healthy cats put to sleep. Secondly, in the nicest possible way, be aware that if you are too emotionally involved you are of little practical use and are likely to be more of a hindrance than a help to the rescuers around you. I don't mean to sound tough, but we all have these feelings, it's how you deal with them that counts. Perhaps if you started in a small way, maybe volunteering to help out on the administrative side somewhere?

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Working at an animal refuge

Post by emmab »

Thank you. No the refuge I am looking at has a no euthanasia policy and deals specifically in taking in older stray dogs and cats. I think it is just the mindset I go with that I have to deal with. I desperately want to do this as I get so much enjoyment from looking after animals and feel it is a very rewarding job.