Cat with FIV and cat with Flu

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Jowanee
New Cat Chatter

Cat with FIV and cat with Flu

Post by Jowanee »

Hi,

I currently have a kitty called Charles who was a stray. When he came to me as a kitten, he had a Cat Flu and I am told he will always have this. He has since had vaccinations to prevent him obtaining other feline diseases.

He is an indoor cat, by my choice as I am told his cat flu can flare up if his immune system is compromised by things like the rain and the cold. He is now over a year old and definitely my furbaby.

I am contemplating getting another cat as a friend and have seen a rescue cat called Edgar who is 5 years old but is playful and likes to nap also.

Edgar has feline HIV/AIDS (FIV) and has to be an indoor cat, which isn't a problem for me. I am just wondering about whether it is plausible or practical to have one cat with Cat Flu and one with FIV in the same living quarters, and if anyone has done this and their experiences?

I haven't had Charlie tested for FIV however, he may well be a carrier, but at this time I do not know.

Thanks in advance!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Cat with FIV and cat with Flu

Post by bobbys girl »

First of all, thank you for offering home to these kitties, not everyone would.

My boy Bob is FIV+ and we have a visiting stray we call Felix. We think that Felix has had flu at sometime because he goes through stages where he sounds very 'snotty', so much so we sometimes call him Wheezy Cat. We feed Felix on the back door step and throw away any food he leaves and scrub the bowl. I have no worries about Bob passing on FIV, but I do worry about Felix passing on Flu to Bob - which could be disastrous. We may be totally wrong in our thinking.

Perhaps you could ask a vet (or2) if the flu is still 'viable' and can be passed on. If there is any doubt I would not risk it and hope that Edgar could find another caring home

Please let us know how you go on. Perhaps we worry about Felix for no good reason?!
Jowanee
New Cat Chatter

Post by Jowanee »

Hi Bobbys girl, thanks for your reply.

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but has your cat had vaccinations against cat flu? Would his stop him getting it from Felix? Or is it just only slightly?

I actually didn't think about the other way round and Charlie infecting Edgar! I would have thought Edgar would have had vaccinations however especially as he is coming from a shelter, so I am hoping that takes another factor out the equation.

I am going to message the shelter today and see if they can answer some of my questions like passing the FIV to Charles and the Cat Flu to Edgar. I need to also win my landlord around in letting me have another cat first too :lol:

I have also done some research last night, advising of cleaning bowls, litter trays etc. Immediately Despite having a three occupancy household, Charlie is solely my responsibility and I work full time too so not sure how viable that will be?
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Sorry, I got it the wrong way round. I see now it is Edgar that has FIV!

I don't know how enlightened your vet is, but it is generally accepted today that FIV is quite difficult to pass on. The virus only survives outside the body for a very short time, so can only be passed on through a bite. Mother to kitten transfer is a little more hazy, but this won't apply to you.

Yes Bobby has had the flu vaccine, but like with us humans, there are many different strains of flu and you can't cover for all of them.

All I can say is I am confident enough to have Felix visit us and not worry about Bob, but I wouldn't be so confident about Felix moving in with us.

I really hope your vet can give you more definite advice.

Best wishes

Sue
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

As long as neither are fighters, I wouldn't be bothered by an FIV+ and FIV- cat living together, but wouldn't have FIV+ and cat flu carrier together as cat flu is more serious for an FIV cat as they have a compromised immune system and the vaccination isn't 100%
Jowanee
New Cat Chatter

Post by Jowanee »

Hi all!

I contacted the shelter and they have said that Edgar can only live on his own or with another FIV cat :cry:

Although I am upset I can't provide Edgar with a loving home, fuss and lots of toys, as well as a lovely fur-brother it would definitely be selfish of me to take him on if I thought Charlie was going to cause more problems for Edgar because of his Cat Flu.

Thank you for your time, replies and advice though.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

It's a shame that poor Edgar is limited to homes with other FIV cats or on his own, but in this case, because of the cat flu issue, it probably is for the best as has been said. Hopefully you'll find another mog that will be more suitable to your particular situation, good luck. :)