New cat owner

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
stellakebab
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

New cat owner

Post by stellakebab »

Socks & Spot
Socks & Spot
image1.JPG (36.94 KiB) Viewed 3479 times
Hi all,

New to this forum, and also new to being a cat owner.

Just wondering if I have anything to worry about with my cats. I have 2 of them (brother and sister) and they have bonded well together, I collected them when they were 5 months old.

They're now about 10 months old and I'm slightly concerned with them as they're eyes are always wide and I read that this means they are anxious, but not sure what they are anxious about.

Also, when I'm relaxing of an evening they play with the numerous toys I have bought them. However, if I adjust myself slightly in my armchair, they both dart out of the room.

Everyone else I know that have cats, these don't behave like this at all. All the sites I've been on talk about multiple cat homes, and what to do differently, but as these are siblings, they do everything together, should I be doing anything different, ie feeding them separately?

Please can someone rest my mind at ease
OHWS
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: New cat owner

Post by OHWS »

Last edited by OHWS on Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
stellakebab
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by stellakebab »

OHWS wrote:Hmm. It looks like the cats are bonded to each other and to your home, but not to you!

Never mind the toys for the moment, do you play with them?
Yeah, I play with them all the time. They have their moments where they'll come and sit on me and want affection. Like first thing in the morning and last thing at night
OHWS
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by OHWS »

Last edited by OHWS on Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
stellakebab
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by stellakebab »

Yeah, I do reassure them, but don't think they listen to me, they don't even respond to their names.
Only things they do respond to is the sound of the laser pen that I have moving, and the rustling of crisp packets as they associate them with being fun
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

Now I'm by no means an expert on cats but I'll just say a word or two from my own personal experience.

Often cats bolting after you make a movement or approach them is an invitation to play, sometimes they in that crazy cat mood and they just do it for the heck of it. Some cats like being near humans but not sit on their lap or even be touched much, they're simply not lap cats while others seek physical contact more often.
What matters is that you interact with the cat, play with them, feed them, brush them and regularly clean their litter box, the rest is up to them and nature itself, how their personalities and character develop over time is anybody's guess, you can only influence it so much.

If you feel they're not bonded with you enough simply spend more time with them but don't force them to do activities they don't want to do, cats are like that, they don't like being forced to do anything. Over time your relationship will grow and develop and you'll all get to know each other better.

As for them learning their names, some cats seem to learn faster while others take some time.
Recently Milla had 4 kittens, out of the four the first two to learn their names were Kala and Marco, then came Medo and finally Casper who had his name changed to Pocky(maybe they are Pokcy & Rocky fans too...nah I doubt it) Surprisingly enough Casper got used to Pocky very quickly from what we hear so the way their name sounds is also important to them.
Now, the way I taught them their individual names and it worked beautifully was to speak their name when I'd hold them or interact with them when no other kitten or the mom was around and Kala and Marco learned their names surprisingly quickly...in fact I have a picture of Kala responding to her name and coming to me :)
http://i.imgur.com/UPijHdp.jpg

I must admit I don't speak to my cats much, just the kinda guy I am. I don't do the whole cute voice thing people do and when I do talk to them I talk to them like I would to my friends/best buddies :) but my communication with them is still absolutely fantastic. My point is, non verbal communication with a cat is just as important as verbal communication and over time you and your cats will learn to communicate perfectly.

Just keep on playing with them and interacting with them the way you feel is best for all three of you and they'll bond to you in their own way.
stellakebab
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by stellakebab »

Thanks, that's re-assured me a lot that it's not something that I'm doing wrong, lol.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

I agree with Joe, and non-verbal communication is far more important. The other thing is the question of what we, as humans want from our pets. Cats are unique in the world of pets as they aren't very domesticated, compared to dogs. Your expectations may differ from reality. Cats CAN be cuddly but most are not, or are only so when it suits them! Ya kinda just have to do what the CAT wants really!!!!!!!! And that is why cat lovers love cats!
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

I have 26 cats and about 4 are cuddly.......
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

When THEYwant to be!