New cat owner, feeling a bit anxious

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
manda
New Cat Chatter

New cat owner, feeling a bit anxious

Post by manda »

Hi all,

I rehomed a rescue cat on Saturday as I had missed the company of a cat since moving into my own place around 18 months ago. We always had cats growing up and they've brought me so much joy over the years. I live in a ground floor flat with no garden access so I rehomed an indoor cat - I rehomed a gorgeous 10 year old black indoor cat who has had a bit of a rough life and she has settled in quite well so far. It took her weeks to settle into her foster home but after only two days she is sat next to me on the sofa. I did put in a Feliway diffuser so I hope this has helped.

This is the first time I've had a cat on my own. I'm out at work from 7:30am to 5:30pm and I had to leave her at home today for the first time, so I spent most of today worrying about her. I got back home and she was in my bedroom, and seemed a bit annoyed that I had woken her up! So far she has been the perfect kitty but I keep worrying about my abilities as an owner. I'm worried she'll get bored while I'm out and become depressed (food isn't an issue, she is on a diet and I can still give her small portions in the day and during the night with the CatMate feeder that came with her), and although my next holiday isn't planned until September I am already thinking about what she'll be like while I'm gone.

Is this anxiety normal? I keep asking my cat's foster carer questions about her to make sure I'm getting things right. Don't get me wrong, I love having her living in my flat but I can't read her mind. I know I should probably wait until she's been here for a few months and she feels more at home - plus I worry about EVERYTHING!

Thanks for any advice,

Manda
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: New cat owner, feeling a bit anxious

Post by alanc »

Hi and welcome to the ranks of worried cat owners, being worried about them goes with cat ownership! Well done for taking on an old black cat, I'm sure you won't regret it. Whilst it is a few years since I had an old cat (my current one is 6) from what I can recall, sleeping from 7:30 to 5:30 is no bother to your average elderly mog. Most can manage a good deal longer! If you are concerned about leaving her in September, maybe you should start making inquiries about a reliable cattery to look after her while you are away.
manda
New Cat Chatter

Post by manda »

Thank you Alan, I've forgotten just how long cats can sleep for! The last cat I lived with (who is almost 19 and still going!) slept for most of the day but there was always someone in the house. I certainly don't regret adopting her, I love black cats and she certainly makes my day more interesting. She's not overly affectionate so I've been giving her enough space but she still meows at me for a fuss.

There are good catteries surrounding Coventry, where I live, but I don't know how well she would cope. Still, it is a long way away and I am fortunate to have family nearby who could pop in to feed her and clean her litter tray (with some persuasion!).

I'll try and stop worrying and enjoy cat ownership. It's like having a child! :)
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Jan »

I never realised that being worried went with the territory of being a cat owner until we adopted my Mum's cat 3 years ago. He's also black, now 13, not a lap cat and mostly aloof unless he wants to be let out or fed.

I was very worried about putting Blackie into a cattery the first time because he is a very anxious/easily stressed cat and we'd only had him a few months. However, when we collected him I was taken aback to hear him miaowing very loudly after he heard our voices at the other end of the pens. When he saw us he rolled over + over on the floor - clearly happy to see us again. Even more of a surprise was later that evening, as I stretched out on the sofa ready to watch TV, he jumped up and laid on my lap for 2/3 hours. This was such a rare occurrence that my OH took a photo of the 2 of us on the sofa just to prove that it had actually happened! But more was to come - when we went to bed that night, Blackie decided that HE was going to sleep on the pillow next to my head and my OH could shove off into another room.

I hasten to add this has never happened since. We are now taken completely for granted :roll:

Hope you and your cat have a long + happy life together.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Bless you for taking on an older cat, and for caring enough to worry about her welfare. As has been said, though, older cats can sleep for hours (I have four in their teens) and she should be fine - if she's not you're likely to come home to destruction as, in my experience, bored cats tend to find something to take it out on! :D

She'll get used to your routine, and cats love routines, so all should be well. I hope you are both very happy together. :)
manda
New Cat Chatter

Post by manda »

Luckily there isn't much to destroy in my flat! She went on the window today as I saw cat hair there today, and she likes looking out of the French doors. She's not very keen on playing, the foster carer said she liked to play with it but she's not showing an interest yet. I don't know how else to keep her entertained while I'm gone! When I got back home today she was in her cat house and came out to have something to eat. I'm going to take that as a good sign. :)

I'm glad I'm not the only anxious cat owner, I was a bit more relaxed today. As long as the cat feeder works and I've remembered to open the curtains I think I'll be okay. And to give kitty a fuss when I get home.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Windows are cat TV! My Grumpy Nellie will sit all day on the window sill looking out, whether I'm in or not. It's also just above the radiator, and once in a while she will get sooo warm and comfy that she falls asleep and rolls off! I hear a crash and run in to find her looking a bit dazed and washing furiously to try to regain her composure - luckily it's quite a low sill! :lol: