Overbreeding health risk on male cats?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Cleo Patch
New Cat Chatter

Overbreeding health risk on male cats?

Post by Cleo Patch »

hi,
so I was wondering if anyone knows if there are any health risks on stud cats that are owned by irresponsible breeders. All the information I found online talk about the health risks on 'females' but I'm sure that males suffer to.

The reason I'm asking is because I know one such "irresponsible breeder" and she keeps defending her practice and insisting that so long as cats, males and females, are fed well, and pumped full of vitamins, and not breeding strays, there is nothing to fear, not even inbreeding which she believes is "natural".
Unfortunately the country I live in doesn't care much for animal cruelty so there is no reporting that breeder to authorities, but I need solid evidence to at least educate the other members in our circle.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Overbreeding health risk on male cats?

Post by Cussypat1974 »

I wonder if this woman has ever seen the results of this "natural" inbreeding??? Because I have, through rescuing entire colonies of cats and kittens with heart problems, digestive problems, intellect problems and any other problem you can think of!!!!!!!

But to answer your question, Males who are not neutered are open to testicular cancer. The main problem with most un-neutered males is fighting and catching diseases. I am not a breeder of cats, but there may be someone else here who has more info. Basically, I chop off any "baubles" I can catch!

Please do point out to her that inbreeding is NOT natural. No wild cats do it. Only lions live in groups and the young males are kicked out of the family once they reach maturity. We have domesticated our cats, and that is the only reason they inbreed. It is not remotely natural, but caused entirely by human intervention as their ancestors, the African wildcats, live completely solitary lives!
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Overbreeding health risk on male cats?

Post by Cussypat1974 »

And there is a WEALTH of scientific evidence to show that inbreeding has terrible effects on the immune system. It is as bad as FIV. Cheetahs suffer from similar issues because the gene pool is so small due to hunting.........