rehomed cats.

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
allrightmylovers
New Cat Chatter

rehomed cats.

Post by allrightmylovers »

Hi. This is my first post so please be gentle!!

I've always had cats. I rehomed a 4year old not long ago. He had quite severe kidney problems, we kept him going for a year but he got put down last month. My 3year old was mortified.

I found an add on gumtree for adult cats. Apparently calm, social and friendly and used to children. Once I got there nothing could be farther from the truth! These 2 aged soles (9+) had never seen another person in their lives. They were shut In a tiny room and there large dog sized food bowl overflowing with dry cat food.
My first thought was cats protection etc but these massively overweight brother and sister would have been completely overlooked. There was no way I could pick one over the other or leave the poor things to this fate...
I know I'm potentially nuts but I've taken them both in, had them vet checked, put them on a better diet and separated a room off with a stair gate so they can settle in, adjust and escape. Does anyone have any tips on how to get them a bit more used to my children with out the use of treats (it's what I've been told so many times!) in all fairness it doesn't even matter if they don't see eye to eye there is enough space for them to avoid each other. I just couldn't let the go on there. At least they can live out their last years in a loving environment and eventually could get let out (big garden that backs onto fields)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: rehomed cats.

Post by Crewella »

Oh poor cats! It's a lot to take on, especially with children in the house, and I would probably have advised against it ........ but I completely get why you felt the need to take them on.

So much now depends on you and your children - the best way to get the cats used to them is for them (and you) to spend time quietly sitting with them in their room, perhaps reading aloud to get them used to voices. I would not force contact, let them realise that none of you are a threat.

Here is a link to the Cat Chat advice page on new cats - just to give you a grounding:

http://www.catchat.org/bonding.html
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: rehomed cats.

Post by Jacks »

It's a wonderful and kind thing you've done, and I'm sure with patience and time these two will absolutely blossom. I agree entirely with Crewella - sit and read to them, let them get used to your voices and they will start to relax. I'm guessing they are handleable, as you've taken them to the vet and were able to collect them. Nine years without quality of life is a long time for a cat - I wish you every success with your lovely new house-mates!

:D