Adding to the family.

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
angel3115
New Cat Chatter

Adding to the family.

Post by angel3115 »

I've made arrangements to get a second cat a home. The problem is my current cat. She hasn't been fond of other cats that have been temporarily brought into the home. She even hisses at me, like I'm hers and I cheated on her. She's 8 years old, and has for the most part been the only cat since I got her at 5 weeks. We got a male kitten a few months ago, and at first she hissed at the door to the room we were keeping him in, and wouldn't use the litter box because it was close to the door. But after a week or so when we let him out of the room she was sort of okay with him. She played with him a few times even, hissing if he got on her nerves.

My question is, how do I make this transition the easiest? I rent, so I can't have her not using the litter box or anything like that. The landlord would get pretty ticked at that. Rista is fixed, though the male I'm getting is not. The guy I'm getting him from says he doesn't spray, but I'm also concerned he might in a new place with new animals. Of course I am going to get him fixed as soon as I am able.

Of course, I don't expect them to end up buddy buddy, but how can I get Rista to tolerate the new cat at least?
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Adding to the family.

Post by Kay »

I'm afraid you are asking for trouble if you expect your older girl to share her space with a younger unneutered male - he will alarm her on so many levels

could he not at least be fixed before you bring him home? even then his testosterone levels would need another couple of weeks to settle

if he has to come to you right away I think you must keep them totally separate at all times until at least two weeks after he is fixed, before you even think of any introductions
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I totally agree with Kay and wouldn't even think of introducing them until a couple of weeks after he's been done, or you're asking for trouble, and even then you'll need to take it really slowly and carefully. Here's a link to the Cat Chat advice page on introductions to give you some guidelines on introductions in general:

http://www.catchat.org/index.php/new-cat-introductions
angel3115
New Cat Chatter

Post by angel3115 »

It's going to be a little while before I can get him fixed. I live on a fixed monthly income, and first I'm going to have to get him his shots, as my vet requires animals to be up to date before fixing them. I was told he didn't get his rabies this year because he is an indoor cat. He supposedly got all his first shots as a kitten, but I doubt I will be able to get proof of that. So it may take several months before I can get him fixed if I have to go through the series of three shots.

I can definitely keep him in the spare bedroom for at least a little while and do the scent swapping thing. That's what I did with the kitten she was sort of okay with. A friend who has quite a few cats told me to take a towel and rub it on the new kitten, then Rista, then the kitten again, which I did. I think it helped. Before, when we lived at the place before here, we didn't have a spare room, so new cats just got kinda dumped on her all of a sudden. Going about it the wrong way I'm sure didn't help.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Scent swapping does certainly help, and do try to get him fixed as soon as you can as will make everything so much easier. Might it be worth trying another vet who isn't so bloomin' awkward? This will be tough, but most things are doable if you do them right and take care - good luck! :)