cat has been very mean, hissing and scratching for the past week and a half?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
penguins
New Cat Chatter

cat has been very mean, hissing and scratching for the past week and a half?

Post by penguins »

my cat is almost 3 years old, female, not spayed. she is an indoor/outdoor cat as we used to let her out about once a week. because of her going out, she just had 2 kittens on february 5th. after she had her kittens, she did not go into heat until about three weeks ago. she mewed very loudly and scratched at the door. these symptoms stopped a few days later, but afterwards she just became very mean! she hisses at anyone that comes within two feet of her, including her kittens. she also scratches and attacks our legs, as well as her kittens. because of this behavior my mom let her outside about a week and a half ago. she came back about a day later, but still had the same symptoms, but she now slept almost all day and she eats and goes to the bathroom about only once a day, still hissing and scratching at everyone. my mom now kicked her out of the house and will not let her back in.

is there any chance this could be because she is still in heat despite no longer meowing and trying to go out? if she is still in heat, this is the longest she has been.
could she be sick? should we try to take her to the vet?
ANY and ALL help is appreciated. i just want my mommy cat back :(
thanks for reading!
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: cat has been very mean, hissing and scratching for the past week and a half?

Post by Jacks »

I'm going to say nicely what I think some people will say in an even more straight-forward way - that you should never be letting an unspayed female in heat outside! This poor girl has probably already been subject to the attentions of any wandering unneutered Tom (who should also have been fixed). She may well be pregnant again and the answer is definitely NOT to shut her outside but to get her to a VET as soon as possible to see what condition she's in, spay her if possible, and check for any bite injuries. I would suspect her original behaviour was due to being in heat, but it sounds like something else may be the issue now.

Please take her to the vet and get things sorted for her.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: cat has been very mean, hissing and scratching for the past week and a half?

Post by Crewella »

I completely agree with Jacks, get her to a vet, and get her spayed, as soon as possible!
elastu
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by elastu »

Welcome to at Cat Chat.

I would agree with the posts, while ever she remains unspayed she has the greater chance of Pyometra a life threatening infection and each time she has a season it is increasing her chance to get mammary tumors. Also she is at risk of FIV and FeLV.

Please let us know how you get on.
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieJulie »

Her aggression is unfortunately probably her mothering protective instinct. Hopefully this will settle down after she i speyed and separated from the kittens. I've seen this behaviour a lot in the homeless pregnant strays I've fostered.
Please talk to your vet about getting her sorted asap. She's likely already pregnant again and the cycle will just go on.