Abandoned cat i think !!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
laura1959
VIP Cat Chatter!

Abandoned cat i think !!

Post by laura1959 »

Need help please I live in east London in a ground floor flat, for the last two weeks a black and white female cat has been coming in to my cat via the bathroom window ,which I have to have open for my own cats ,as this is there only access to the garden .In the two years of having my rescue cats never had this problem ,but this lovely cat I think has been abandoned at first I just thought she was being nosy knowing that I had two cats in my flat ,I thought she lived further down the road ,so I went down to approach the people I thought owned her with no response so I left a polite note ,a few days later I had a call it seems that this flat does not own a cat and the flat 2 doors down has one but it wasn't the one I have living with me ,so I am desperate not knowing what to do?? she is affectionate but quite thin and eating a lot ,I put her out in the garden but she just comes back she does go missing for a while but re appears and stays the night ,I work and I am only assuming she is there most of the day because on my return she is in the flat asleep ,my cats are not impressed and Ouzo hisses at her ,though she ignores it,can anyone assist me or suggest what I can do ,please??
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Abandoned cat i think !!

Post by alanc »

If you can, catch her and take her to your vet to get her scanned for a microchip (this is usually free). If she has one the vets should be able to locate the owner. If she does not, then I would suggest following the advice on what to do with a found cat in the Lost and Found cats advice to be found by following the links on the home page of the Catchat website.
laura1959
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by laura1959 »

Thanks I did think of that my vets charges £10 but I have found another that will do that ,the only thing is I can only get there at weekends and they wouldn't be able to tell me anything then as they are very busy on a Saturday ,so I will have to think about this ,thanks for your help :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Think I'd find another vet!
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Alice »

If you've a branch of any pet charity near you they'd be able to scan the cat for a chip.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

laura1959 wrote:Thanks I did think of that my vets charges £10 but I have found another that will do that ,the only thing is I can only get there at weekends and they wouldn't be able to tell me anything then as they are very busy on a Saturday ,so I will have to think about this ,thanks for your help :)
I've never heard of a vet charging for that.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

I don't think they are allowed to - are they?
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Laura, another thing you can do if the cat is friendly enough is put a paper collar on her. Take a piece of A4 paper and cut a strip about 1cm wide along the long side of the paper. Write a message along the lines of: "I am worried this cat is homeless. If she has a home please call xxxx" and then put your mobile on there. Then put the 'collar' on the cat, securing the loose ends with a bit of sticky tape (not too much, the collar has to be able to tear if the cat gets caught on it)

Ideally if money allows and you have a spare phone, buy a 2nd pay as you go sim and use that as a contact number; just so your proper number doesn't end up in the wrong hands.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Hi Laura,

I don't know where you live in East London, but Celia Hammond (In Barking Road, Canning Town) might be able to help with scanning the cat. I don't know if all branches do it, but when I was a volunteer with Cats Protection (Canterbury branch) one of us would go out with a scanner to check for a chip.

I have never heard of a vet charging to scan a cat.

Also worth phoning other local small rescues for advice. I haven't lived in East London for years, so don't know about rescues there.
laura1959
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by laura1959 »

Hi I have found a vet near me that will check for a micro chip free of charge,the thing is I don't know what to do if she isn't ,I cant keep her as I already have two cats myself , :( :(
laura1959
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by laura1959 »

yes inquired about cat protection/rescues in east London and cant find anything apart from celia Hammond which isn't near to me really and I don't drive ,as its not my cat don't want to cause her any stress carrying her to far.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Laura, if she is a stray then many vets (at least where I live) will keep the cat and hand her over to the rescue they deal with; hopefully the vet you take her to has a similar set up.

If not, then bring her back home - keep things as are for now and contact ALL the rescues in your area to see if they have space to take her in. Many have volunteers who will be able to collect her from you to get her to them

good luck
laura1959
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by laura1959 »

I have already been told they cant take the cat ,they will micro chip ,I have had no luck in finding any rescue places in east London, I can only hope that celia Hammond cat rescue in Canning town may take her ,but as I said she isn't that near me and I will have to take the cat on the docklands railway ,I feel so sorry for the cat she looks sad but seems to think she is at home with me now . :( :(
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Marla »

Thank you for helping this cat.

I just have to say to everyone reading this: Be very careful about leaving a cat with a vet unless you know and trust them. One vet told me that when she contacted a well-known organisation about a healthy stray that needed rehoming, she was offered money by them to put the cat down! She refused, and I would hope most vets would refuse, but . . .
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Marla »

Did you try these two rescues? I've found both of them to be really helpful.

Paws for Life / 9 Lives: 07986 135081

London Cat Rescue: 07828 898319

I wouldn't worry about Ouzo hissing at her. It's just to let her know who's in charge and the fact that she's not reacting to it is a good thing.
laura1959
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by laura1959 »

no I haven't tried these numbers I did call cat protection they gave me 3 numbers one of which was out of order or no longer in use the others where mobiles that didn't answer I will try these ,as we could get to the vets at the weekend as I had an emergency in the flat so had to wait for an electrican who came very late so still got Ida ,she is no bother but I cant keep her ,I have 2 as I already mentioned and only have a one bedroomed flat and its not fair on the other two cats who where originally rescue cats :) :)
laura1959
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by laura1959 »

ok we took the cat to the vets he was micro chipped but the telephone number a mobile was no longer in use and they have contacted the address and its new people there ,My boyfriend is very keen to take the cat home him self ,he lives out of London in Hertfordshire in a house with a garden and loves animals as I do ,I am a bit concerned myself ,first of all he will have to take the cat on the tube across London,then obviously will have to get him re micro chipped and keep him in for a while ,but I don't want to argue with my boyfriend I don't know how my cats would react having another cat in the house all the time they aren't happy now what do you think please ,opinions please?? :( :(
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by alanc »

I would let boyfriend take cat home. Long journey may not be ideal, but most cats will cope and I expect he will consider the destination and a home of his own worth the hassle. My Badger and Tilly coped with a 2 hour journey from their breeder to my home. Avoid rush hour, of course and you will need a reasonable size cat basket.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I agree It sounds a brilliant solution.
laura1959
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by laura1959 »

thanks for the tips ,yes we have a double cat carrier we bought for our two rescue cats so he could borrow that ,and yes he is thinking of taking him on Saturday morning its not too long a journey ,at the moment though it seems we have to by law make more enquires to whether there is in fact an owner somewhere in our street ,though we have put pleasant notes in 3 houses were we thought he may of lived ,with no response ,so we are now in the process of putting up posters with a picture and just Lost cat in spanby road with a photo and my mobile number ,we know the owners name is precious and has two dogs staffies we think this is what the vet told us.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Well done for looking after this cat! Have you checked on www.animalsearchuk.co.uk - both for pets lost in your area and to post a picture and description of the girl? They work with Cat's Protection and do a good job of reuniting pets.

If you cannot find a home, I'd let your boyfriend take her home. She needs a home - these are domestic animals - they need a loving home.

All the best!