Cat Fight Injury

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
SMITHER
Frequent Cat Chatter

Cat Fight Injury

Post by SMITHER »

Hi to All,
I am new to this forum today and I would like if possible a little advice.
a small, young, tom cat in our area is always getting into cat fights. Obviously this is what un-neutered male cats do but this one gets injuries that are not being treated or not properly. I have informed the rspca but don't know the outcome. However, the cat now looks very much like he has an abcess on the cheek with pus coming out. I do/have done as much as I can for him as I have my own indoor cats and am a huge animal lover who will do what I can to help. I cannot bare to see any animal suffer. I have attended the wound the best I can and informed the owner what I have done in case they hadn't noticed the wound was so bad. I really don't know what else to do? I am so obviously worried for him but he needs vet treatment for something like this. What upsets me is that the owners become hostile as they think I am interferring but it's the cat's welfare at stake that matters. I am making myself ill with worry/upset that I cannot help this one and any other cats that suffer. What can I do? Should I pull away and have no contact with any other cats? :cry: :cry:
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Cat Fight Injury

Post by bobbys girl »

Ooh not at all! Like most of us here you are not the sort of person who can pass by on the other side of the road and do nothing. It is just so unfortunate that this poor cat has rotten owners. I wouldn't bother with the RSPCA, in my experience they are not fit for purpose.

It is such a shame that you have actually spoken to the owners. If it was me I would have borrowed a trap from our local vet and got him there for treatment and neutering as a stray (but then I am sneaky like that). The vet nearest to us works with a local animal charity to neuter strays and they will treat any injuries at the same time. The vet we use ourselves (they are more experienced in small animals) is over the border from us and not covered by UK scheme. But we have taken an injured cat there for treatment and as it was a stray they just charged us cost of meds.

He is probably getting into fights because he is not neutered and being small he keeps losing. Poor little mite.
elastu
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by elastu »

Welcome to CC and thank you for caring. Is it possible for you to contact your local Cats Protection and ask if there is anything they can do at they should be able to give you advice. Obviously this little one does need neutering as until then he is in more danger to contact some life threatening diseases and therefore he could become a danger to other cats, He most certainly needs to see a vet ASAP, cats are very good at hiding pain and I would think the little one is suffering. If the local CP cannot help in any way then I suppose the RSPCA is the only option unless there re any other cat rescues in your area. Please don't give up on the little one, we are an animals only voice.

Please let us know how you get on.
SMITHER
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by SMITHER »

A huge huge thank you first to elastu & bobby's girl for your kind messages. Of course I would and will not give up. I am just going round in circles as what to do for him. As I said before I am worried sick about him. I didn't know that I could have got him to a vet as a stray but then I would have to get him homed after. Knowing my luck, the owners will just go out and get another one if they 'lose' this one.
We generally speak to our neighbours first to resolve any issues. It is very hard to make a good decision in the heat of the moment sometimes.
It was Saturday I bathed/cuddled him & popped letter through owner's door explaining. I didn't want another awkward confrontation with them. I haven't seen him since then but then he doesn't always come for food everyday, can be 2/3 days in between sometimes. Obviously this time I am much more anxious and worried.
You are right about the rspca completely. They haven't got back to me still to say they have investigated. The vets here generally are not very helpful or kind if you don't have the money for treatment or towards strays, etc. It's all about the money and not the 'animals'.
But I will keep going with this. I can never forgive myself for letting any animal down. I will update you all. x
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

So glad you're looking out for this little lad, Smither. We took in a stray Tom middle of March and had him neutered - and wonderfully all his scars have healed up. They can't help the fighting when they're unneutered and I expect your neighbours would say 'he's just a cat' and suggest he's only doing what cats do... which is the kind of ignorant uncaring attitude that got him into this position. My precious Bobby must have been someone else's cat at one point, but they didn't chip him or care enough not to let him out unneutered to fight and roam, and they never came forward in response to my advertisements, so he's my darling now and at the moment a house-cat whilst he integrates with his five housemates!

This boy will need to see a vet if he doesn't improve, and it might end up being you that takes him - will be interesting to see if they've bothered to have him chipped... That you've already had him in for a bathe and a cuddle shows that he's happy to be loved and handled. We have a neighbour's cat who comes round for food or when he's been shut out at night in the rain. He's a 'just a cat' but we won't see him go cold and hungry, so our brood have to put up with him from time to time. He even has his own cat kennel in our garden!

Please keep us up to date about this little one and thank goodness someone is caring...
SMITHER
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by SMITHER »

Thank you for your messages of advice etc. It means alot.
I last saw him not Saturday just gone the one before when I bathed him last. Well it was getting on in the week, I was beginning to think that's it, he has gone. Not seen him. Not a word from owners or rspca. Then it was Thursday morning as I was getting into my car for work, i saw him in the window of his house. It was a quick look, but he did look ok even abit better maybe. I have not seen him since but this must mean they are keeping him indoors? So he must have been quite poorly and/or has been neutered? The fact that he has been indoors this long must have done him the world of good if nothing else.
When i see him again I will update you all.

The fact that there are so many on this site means there are a lot of cat lovers out there which is so re-assuring.
Thank you x
SMITHER
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by SMITHER »

A little update on this story so far.
I have seen this little one at his window of home a few times now and he does look healthy/clear of wounds, etc. i spoke with the owner again who confirmed that the little lad has had antibotics and they are keeping him indoors until his neutering operation. However, that was a few weeks ago and he either has been done now and they are keeping him as a housecat from now on or he has still not been done?
What i keep thinking is, that it's my fault as I got involved and the rspca and they are going to keep him indoors for ever now - then no one can interfere so to speak and either get the rspca in or tell them he's injured/unwell etc as me or anyone else won't be able to see! I know he won't be fighting indoors but i just hope he's ok and going to be happy after being in the outside world.
i know mine are indoor cats but i can't help feeling sorry for him. I just hope all this has a positive and happy ending. i do miss seeing his cute little face and giving him the odd little cuddle x x
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

it's a shame you have lost the opportunity to keep a proper eye on him, but if they are keeping him indoors I would have thought there is a good chance he has been neutered, as he would surely be spraying everywhere by now