cat needs to put weight on

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
chez1983
Returning Cat Chatter

cat needs to put weight on

Post by chez1983 »

hi my cat is 2yrs very active. he recently had his routine check up at the vets. she said he could do with putting weight on. he has 3 meals a day but just wanted to know if there was anything I can do to help him put on weight. thank you :D
OHWS
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: cat needs to put weight on

Post by OHWS »

Last edited by OHWS on Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Did your vet say WHY he had to put on weight? Is he otherwise healthy? I think this is important to know.

My Bob was very slim (actually a column of muscle!) when he was two. Now at three years old he has filled out a bit. Purdy has always been a skinny cat, no matter what she eats. Sometimes we give her a tin of Hill's perscription to 'build her up'. The vet says he can find no reason for her 'skinnyness' and thinks it might be connected to her being taken from her mum too young (she was thrown out of a passing car and onto a friends garage forecourt)

Perhaps you should confirm kitty's health first and if he is OK then it might just be his nature to be skinny.
chez1983
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by chez1983 »

He's healthy. And very fluffy. All fluff lol
He's a big cat and all muscle. She would just like him to put on abit more weight.
chez1983
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by chez1983 »

How do u upload photo?
chez1983
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by chez1983 »

They get feed gourmet double delicatsies morning and eveining and I buy purina one cat biscuits. He will eat all in the morning then will pick through your the day I've started to feed him around lunch time too. He's an outdoor cat.they get mackerel in sun flower oil as a treat too
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

chez1983 wrote:He's healthy. And very fluffy. All fluff lol
He's a big cat and all muscle. She would just like him to put on abit more weight.
If he is healthy, I wouldn't worry about his weight. He may well 'fill-out' on his own as he matures.

My girls like Felix AGAIL, Bob prefers Gourmet perle. They all love JWB dry food. My old lad Tommy used to share a tin of sardines in tomato sauce with me. Since he's gone there is no one to share with (though Purdy would not refuse to lick out the tin!)

I use picresize to upload photos. It is pretty staightforward but since this site was 'updated' recently, I sometimes have to reduce the size of the pics even more than I did (don't know if anyone can tell me why that is? :? ) I know others use photobucket, but I can't get the hang of it. :roll:

Look forward to seeing some photo's.
OHWS
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by OHWS »

Last edited by OHWS on Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Looking forward to the fluffy photo!

http://www.bigwebpages.com/big/resize.html

Select your photo, and set the height or width (whichever is longer) to 400 pixels. It will resize the picture which you can then download and upload it to your post here by clicking the 'attachment' tab underneath where you're typing...

I have 6 cats. They have two or three small wet food meals a day, and there are bowls of biscuits around the house for free feeding if they're hungry. They are all different shapes and sizes as their genes dictate - some are more stocky and broad-chested, some skinny. As long as they're firm and active and healthy I wouldn't think there's anything to worry about. The only one of ours that looks overweight is our big hairy wild boy who spends his days actively roaming the streets - and I think he's just a big framed boy - he was still a big lad when he was a starving stray, but with his bones sticking out when you touched him. I have a little all-black princess who is sheer slinky muscle - not an ounce of fat on her - and she loves her treats (cat sweeties) but just doesn't put on weight. So your boy sounds delightful.

This is an nice little article about the physical characteristics of cats:
http://www.petbehaviorsolutions.com/upl ... f_Cats.pdf

My profile girl (Sophie - black and white longhair) is a COBY body shape - she spends most of the day sleeping, but when she wants to move she's fast alright! She has the broad chest and short legs - and the low body makes her look fat, but if you run your hands down her sides from her shoulders you can feel she has a proper cat waist. Then we have four 'Intermediates' and my little black girl is definitely an oriental in basic shape - she's a Bombay oriental type.

Here's another, very useful guide:
http://www.cathealth.com/weight-managem ... ood-weight

Using this guide my little girl is 'thin cat' but my vet's opinion is that she's gorgeous and 'a real cat'. If's she's not asleep she's constantly into everything and she moves like greased lightning... :-) :-)
chez1983
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by chez1983 »

Biscuits are always down. They don't pinch each other's food. Just want to know what is the best food and biscuits on the market. Been looking at thrive pet food
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by alanc »

Hi Chez
My Tilly has a tin of Thrive as one of her 3 tins/packets a day (she is a big active Maine Coon cat). I started giving it to her after her illness at the beginning of the year when she needed to put a bit of weight on according to the Vet. Worked very well, except she is now addicted to it and at £1.00 a tin it is a bit expensive! Still, its worth it if it does the job. (I am not sure she was actually as thin as the vet (who had never seen her before) thought - she is naturally a very long narrow cat as were her mother and grandmother.) Her other wet food now she is up to weight again is Royal Canin Jelly and Gourmet Gold Pate but for a while she was on 2-3 tins of Thrive a day which cost a bit. Tilly also gets biscuits (Lilly's Kitchen and Royal Canin for Maine Coon's) but they are only left out at night as she is kept in at night. I cannot leave biscuits out all day for her as next door's greedy guts would be round and eat it all (and is he fat!)
chez1983
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by chez1983 »

I have a Maine coon X he to is long but full of fluff. I'm going to try the thrive and feed him seperatley from my other two. And see how he goes.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

chez1983 wrote:Just want to know what is the best food and biscuits on the market
In all honesty, the best food is the one they'll eat.

No point spending vast amounts of money on food if they're not going to eat it. I've got six cats and time and time have tried them on different / better foods and it's never worked. My lot are happy with Felix as Good as it Looks as their main wet food and Arden Grange as their dry food. I do have to feed cereal free as one of mine is a bit intolerant to cereals and that combo works for me.

I do have a few other foods I feed as in betweens but those two are the main.

So if your cats are happy with what they are getting then stick with it and once he ages and slows down a bit then I'm sure he'll also fill out

Best of luck!
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Just one thought - do you see his poo's; are they proper solid ones or loose or runny? Just wondering if changing just the dry food to one that is cereal free may be better for you lot as well. I used to feed mine Purina and they liked the flavour of it, but one of them (not sure which one - think it was Ava) would regularly bring it back up again and I'm sure it was affecting Harry.