young cat CKD

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

young cat CKD

Post by issiandarchie+68 »

Can anyone help me with this query? Exactly a week after one of my cats died unexpectedly at the Vets (tumour and fluid in lungs), my 8yr female cat, Cody, who had previously been full of life, started to lose weight. She was given antibiotics and a later blood test diagnosed kidney problems. Following results she was kept in for a 3 day rehydration and seemed to perk up, although my vet was a little quiet when I asked about treatment. I realise now he knew what the outcome would be. He is lovely and we trust him implicitly. She came home Friday 22nd April, would not eat renal food and got very distressed when medication attempted. Went downhill, constantly sick after eating the smallest mouthful of chicken, brought up clear frothy stomach acid. We decided to give her what she wanted to eat and stop attempting meds, no point if she wouldn't take them, give her a final few weeks of peace and contentment. That was on the Wednesday morning. Last Friday, after realising she had spent a really long uncomfortable night in the 'meatloaf' position, we made the decision at 5.30 a.m. to call vets. She was never afraid of them, would explore room, sook in with staff, they loved her. To cut a long story short, we were both there when she passed away very peacefully. Of course we are heartbroken, 2 cats in 1 month. Has anyone else been through the experience of losing an 8yr old healthy female cat so soon after diagnosis? Incidentally, I think I read on another post about a cat with CKD having a 'wobbly' walk. Cody was the same, her 'gait' was all over the place on the last day, as if even placing a foot on the floor was causing pain.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: young cat CKD

Post by bobbys girl »

First of all, I am so sorry to hear your news, 2 cats in one month, how sad.

I am no expert in CKD, but it does seem odd to hit a cat so young and for it to happen so fast. Is your vet sure it was CKD? There are other things that can cause kidney failure.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm so sorry to hear about your girl, and that you lost your other cat so soon before. It must hurt like hell. (((hugs)))

Renal failure tends to come in two different versions - the CKD is 'chronic' and is an ongoing, slow reduction in the kidney function and tends to happen to older cats. However, acute renal failure is, in effect, the kidneys crashing more suddenly and can be caused by another medical issue. It does sound as though your poor girl might have had an acute failure rather than the CKD. Not that that helps you, I know. I'm so sorry.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Issie sorry to hear your news. My Elsa girl was diagnosed with CKF when she was 10. The meds didn't help her & she had radio iodine treatment. This gave her another year & a bit but I had to have her pts in Feb. Feel for you for the loss of your two fur babies so close. Elsa left me not 3 mths after I lost my darling Mayday. Tearing up as I post this. Take care. Hope you don't mind the shortened salutation. Vivian
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Thank you guys for taking the time to comfort me. I called it CKD but to be honest, I don't remember my vet giving it a 'name'. When we took her in for her kidneys to be flushed, he talked about 'spikes' and things being far too high and he wanted to see them reduced by at least half. I didn't take it in because I could see from his demeanour there was no hope and the room started to spin, I had to go outside and leave my husband to deal with things. I had mentioned to another vet last August that she appeared to be losing weight, her graph continued to go down, but she said it was nothing to worry about. She was a very active, loving cat and there were no other symptoms. I have a photo taken end of February of her sitting on top of the wardrobe, she could float like a butterfly, and she looks great. After she received her antibiotics, she was due back at vets in two weeks. However, despite an enormous appetite and drinking lots of water,she continued to lose weight, started to sleep on her blanket in quiet corners, stopped 'owning' the house and always a cat happy in her routines, such as jumping on the back of the bedroom sofa and looking out the window at the magpies every day at the same time, didn't leave her spot in the dining room all day apart from using her litter. We went on a two day visit to family in Aberdeen, where I worried about her constantly. She was in very good hands, but on our return, she walked past me, I looked down and was totally shocked by her gaunt appearance, my stomach literally hit the deck. You know the rest of this sad story. I obsessed over the prognosis on the internet, hoping, clung to, stories of cats living long lives after diagnosis but deep down I knew. We got her from a rescue centre at 18months old. My other cat Gandhi, is a big bruiser and so I hesitated in taking her, thinking she was a kitten. But she clung to my hubby's trouser leg, he picked her up, she sat on his shoulder, came home, settled immediately, a cat match made in heaven as my 'bruiser' adored her on sight. Turned out she was so small because she had been found with other cats by the police in an abandoned house, with no food or water. My hubby thinks that's when the damage was done and we were lucky to have her for 7yrs. He misses her terribly, I've never seen him so upset, but says s**t happens and it was an honour to have her (and Armand) in our lives. But I'm broken hearted, as you have all been at some time over your own beloved pets, and keep searching for answers when really, there aren't any and it's too late. When does the pain ease? I can't eat or sleep and of course, as we all do, think 'was it my fault?' How do you cope?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

You do get over it, but it takes time. I can hear how upset you are, but all I can say is that I can also hear how much you loved her and how you took her to the vet and tried to help. This wasn't your fault - cats are very, very good at hiding the fact that they're ill as it's part of their defence strategy to show no weakness. Sometimes there are no answers, just the cold, hard facts. (((hugs)))

I foster cats for the local cat rescue (and I have six living here), so my own way of getting over a loss is to help another cat, but that does mean I see a lot of unloved and unwanted cats, some even badly treated. If it helps, when I read a post like yours, sad as it is, I also feel heartened that someone loved and cared for their cat so much and hope to find people like that for my fosters.
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Thank you my love, what a wonderful, comforting thing to say. We took bruiser Gandhi in because he had been used as a football, had a ruptured bowel, but being such a large cat, it was difficult finding him a home. We didn't think we would cope but he is marvellous although has to take a dose of lactulose every day otherwise he cramps and is in pain. After a month, we realised he needed company and that's when we got Cody, or rather she picked us. 18 months later, I told my hubby about a small, timid black cat I used to see cowering on the window ledge of a manky house with seven dogs and 5 children. No more cats says he but eventually when he saw Armand's owner trying to sell him, home he came. He was considered 'unrehomable' having been bitten until sore 24/7 by fleas, we then discovered he had chlamydia attacking his lungs, cat flu and damaged eyes. We called him Armand after the French vampire because he had yellow fangs and terrible breath. In the event, he turned out to be the sweetest, liveliest, most loving, sweetest smelling cat ever and quite beautiful. He died unexpectedly at the Vets on 31st March from a tumour in his chest and flooded lungs. Unfortunately, as I was 68 on Sunday and my husband is approaching 70, there will be no more cats after Gandhi's demise. We went to pay the Vet's bill today. It's a wonderful practice and they were very kind. I asked them to explain exactly what happened as it was most upsetting wondering how this could all have come about so quickly. They told me Cody had progressive kidney disease leading to renal failure. Apparently, over 75% of her kidney function had gone but cats don't really show any signs of illness until this stage. It was terminal and in hindsight, a blessing she went so fast. In the unlikely event they had spotted it earlier, she would have been put on treatment and medication and the outset would have just been the same. Strange as it sounds, this knowledge comforted me and hubby. She wasn't the type of cat that could have borne intrusive treatments and she had an excellent last 6 months. My only regret is trying to medicate and upsetting her but we have to try. I am deeply grateful for all the support you guys have shown me. it will hurt but now I get a sense of closure and being able to move on, lavish my Gandhi with loads and loads of love. He's a very responsive cat, more like a dog really. God bless and good luck with your own pets.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I'm so glad you took it as it was meant, and that it helped, and I hope Gandhi thrives on the extra attention. :)

I have a black cat called Merrick, by the way, named from the same series as Armand. ;)
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Just thought I would let you lovely people know that we have decided against adopting any more cats. It saddens me but we are both oaps and Gandhi, my remaining cat, although very loving, is large in body as well as personality. We were very very fortunate with Cody in that she treated him with disdain when required and he loved her for it, and Armand never stood still long enough, a wee character, but we can't risk making another cat miserable. I have been to the doctor as my grief was overwhelming, I couldn't eat or sleep. I'm on antidepressants which don't take away feelings, just shut the trapdoors when the crows fly out. We have had a bad two years, and she reckons depression was bound to 'come out' in the end. If you are suffering badly, don't be ashamed to ask for help. I still miss my beloved babies very much, cry each morning, but the days are getting easier. Thank you all so much for your kind, comforting words. I hope someone helps you when you need it as you have helped me.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

I know what you're going through, I'm very very emotional when it comes to my cats and going through and losing Anastasia to Chronic Renal Failure at the age of 7 was a nighthmare for me that I have yet to fully recover from 2 years later.

In 2012 my healthy and happy Anastasia, a fine Persian cat with no genetic predisposition for polycistic kidnesy or anything (we checked when we got her in 2007) started drinking water a lot more than she should have, I alerted my vet at the time and as vets are here in Macedonia, he was rather unwilling to listen to my plight convincing me that my cat's increased water intake was normal, she was just being a cat.
One day in late September after what was a wonderful summer for me, just as I started my second year of my second college :( Anastasia stopped eating, she became very lethargic and very much not herself, the vet advised a wait and see approach, so after waiting a day or two I was 100% certain she had CRF, I had done a lot of reading and knew the signs, but convincing my vet at the time that she showed all the signs of renal failure was next to impossible, the guy laughed me out of his office saying she was just being a cat.
Had I not argued and insisted he does bloodwork, something vets in my country absolutely REFUSE to do unless there's need for it, Anastasia would have up and died that week.
Naturally what I suspected was very much true, she had Chronic Renal Failure that supposedly started several months prior to this, around the time I noticed her drinking more and the vet shutting me down(all vets do this here no matter how nice they might be), so he switched her to Royal Canin renal which she happily ate and loved. A year later Royal Canin renal became impossible to find in my country, the importer had some issues so he switched her to Farmina, also renal which Anastasia adored, later we got the RC back.

So you'd think it was a smooth ride for the 2 years she lived with this? Let me tell ya this, Anastasia would and could have lived for 5 years or more with this condition, she did not because vets here REFUSED to administer Sub-Q fluids and she never liked drinking water much, she hated wet food and renal wet food was impossible to obtain in my country.
She NEEDED Sub-Q fluids and every single vet confused it with regular IV and turned it down with obvious annoyance and anger that I dare tell them how to do their jobs.

Anastasia's creatinin levels actually kept dropping, we took incredibly good care of her, but we couldn't administer sub-q fluids ourselves, don't have the knowledge, skill or means to do this ourselves.
In 2014 as I was working on my graduation project Anastasia died of pancreatitis that apparently had gone out of hand thanks to vets here refusing to do anything I ask them to :( I remember EXACTLY which picture for my graduation project I was drawing on her last day
http://shinigamikiba.deviantart.com/art/014-474897571
I NEVER draw when unhappy but I had no choice then :(

It took well over a year for me to be able to even look at pictures of my beloved Anastasia, even now I can't just up and look at them without strong pain piercing my heart and a very strong sense of loss and fear looming over me, I love her so much :( I remember that summer of 2012 like it was yesterday, we'd sit together and play Banjo Kazooie on my Pikachu N64, I knew something was off but kept lying to myself that the vets were right and she was fine and that her increased water intake was just a phase...what can you do when you live in bum**** Macedonia with lazy **** vets.

So I stress over my pets, I stress over them a lot because I know I don't have vets I can fully rely on here, my current vet is a wonderful woman and she has gone out of her way to accommodate my needs and all, but when Milla got spayed she almost died from an infection, FORTUNATELY my vet saved her...still she doesn't have the equipment I deem necessary like x-rays and echo and such, so if i need to check inside my cats i'd have to find vets who have the equipment to do so AND are willing to use it.

I hope this helps
I'm a tough, big, burly, 32 year old man, I'm very happy, have a wonderful job, a great life, I love my pets more than anything yet when something is off with them it's more than I can handle emotionally and I turn into a cry baby :) As I said, to this day what happened to Anastasia hurts, so I know what you're going through.
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Thank you so much for bravely posting your sad story. Anastasia (what a wonderful name) was a very lucky cat having you in her life. I think it's shameful that your Vet showed you and your beloved pet such disrespect and I am forever grateful that both Armand and Cody ended their lives in the care of a wonderful man. He did tell us later that he too was distraught at the loss of each of his cats, dog and rabbit, cried along with his children. I beat myself up with 'what ifs' and agonised over Codys death at the age of 8, so young in my mind, but I have since learned that the 'mean' age for renal failure in cats is about 9yrs old. I also learned that cats of any age or breed can suffer from it and frequently, as in human disease, kidney failure is idiopathic, meaning there is no common cause. Treatment is palliative, there is no cure, not every cat shows all the symptoms, my Cody bounced around like a kitten, healthy appetite, only slowly, until the final two weeks, losing weight, and I now look back and give thanks she had a wonderful last 6 months. Incredibly sweet natured, treatment at an early stage would have frightened and crushed her, although she was given fluids to flush out her kidneys immediately after diagnosis. We bought every variety of renal cat food and she wouldn't eat any of them, wet or dry. Giving her medication of 'binders' and tablets upset her so very much, she would throw up, and the bond between us began to splinter. In the end we just gave her the food she wanted (ham) and cat milk, left her in peace, we knew she had 'crashed' and 2 days later, at 5.30 a.m, we knew it was time. Traumatic as it was to say goodbye, her illness was mercifully short, her passing very peaceful. You did the very best you could for your beautiful Anastasia, sought help, let her go. Now take good care of yourself and remember the happy times with your beautiful wee girl. And yes, your honest account did comfort me.
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: young cat CKD:guilt

Forgive me for 'emotional unloading' at a time when so many of you have your own heartaches, but it helps I can come to this forum and express my feelings in private. I have related the sad story of the totally unexpected and devastating demise of our much loved cats Cody and Armand within 4 weeks of each other. I think I am coping well, I miss them dreadfully, but on the whole I can talk about them, take care of my remaining cat Gandhi, get on with my life. I take an antidepressant, one each night, which helps me sleep but my problem is,3 months on, I still wake with feelings of anxiety, the guilt washes over me for not realising Armand was a 'very sick cat', but worse, trying to medicate my darling Cody in her final, mercifully short last days. She was a very gentle,delicate wee soul, loved by all, but it was impossible for even the Vet to orally administer drugs. She would make herself sick before swallowing and had such a small, delicate mouth, I felt like a monster trying to put a tablet on her tongue. So why did I put her through it? I weep with regret as I can still feel her little heart beating so rapidly through her wasted body as I held and stroked her, trying to calm her down, her fur still so soft and silky, her tiny body hunched in distress. She weighed absolutely nothing, skin and bone, so upset, large amounts of sick and tablet filled saliva hung in thick drools to her wee feet as I tried to clean her up. She wouldn't eat renal food and thinking, praying she had a slim chance of survival after rehydration, I had tried to syringe the prescribed paste and crushed tablets into her throat. Although that was on the Wednesday morning and I didn't put her through any more medication trauma, just fed her a little ham and cat milk, it's all she would take, she died on the Friday morning in the arms of my husband, she loved him so much,they had a very special bond, with a Vet she knew and trusted. He was wonderful. I grieve but can forgive myself with Armand, if the Vet hadn't had the good sense and compassion to detect a serious, underlying health issue, sedating and giving oxygen to my darling wee boy, he would have died a horrible death, probably in his carrier on the way home, so sad as I am, it was the best outcome. But Cody, so small, so soft, so trusting, why oh why didn't I follow my instincts and just leave her alone? I've prayed silently for her forgiveness so many times, she was the sweetest of cats, even put on a show for the Vet, meerkatting and talking to him, I'm so grateful for that, but I just can't forget or forgive myself.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Hindsight is an absolute killer sometimes. All you did was your best in some horrible circumstances. The medication might have worked, and helped, in which case you would have been glad that you persevered. To be honest I don't even think that leaving her alone would have worked out as she would still have been feeling ill and in pain. Cats know when you're trying to help, I'm sure of that. Even my ex-feral Peaches, who was very wary, wouldn't allow you to pick her up and only allowed fusses on her terms, let me pick her up and take her to the vets when she caught a glancing blow from a car and needed help. Much as she will have hated the actual medication and being forced to take it, I'm sure Cody will have understood that you were trying to help and how much you loved her.

Please try to be as kind to yourself. xx
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Hi there, I'm so sorry to hear about Cody and Armand and so sorry too about your grief. Three months isn't long though, I'm afraid, when it comes to bereavement and this IS a bereavement (never mind the people who say 'well, it was only a cat'.)

Grief is a cruel process, and the feelings of guilt and anxiety are quite horrible; I think most of us on here have experienced them and know just what you're talking about, and it's hellish. I think you have to do whatever helps, if meds help (they vary from person to person) that's good, if talking or writing on the forum helps, you don't have to ask for forgiveness; we've known grief too and will know it again. Crewella is absolutely right; no matter what you did and did it for the best, you feel guilty; if you hadn't persevered with Cody's meds, you would feel just as guilty...

A sudden death is an awful shock anyway; nine and a half years on I still agonise over my Tess, badly injured in a RTA, pts at age 7. I was there at the time, got her straight to the nearby vet; did all the 'right' things but every detail is still clear and I can still cry about her and feel I let her down, and I remember the merciless grief and guilt that you describe, the indescribable waking up after the respite of sleep...it's a cliche, but it does go, it does get better. And your loss was double. I think it's amazing what the human psyche can stand.

I think Cody and Armand were very lucky to have had you, to have lived their lives being loved and to have been nursed with such good sense and care at the end. Thinking about you and all the very best, Lil x
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

I hope, dear issi, that you will forgive me for hyjacking this thread. But when I read your post today it seemed the right place to announce a very sad event - just to say I really know what you are going through right now.

I am very sorry to say that we had to have Kafka, our Jackdaw put to sleep this morning. Dave went to give him his breakfast and saw the plastic screen we fixed over his hutch every night had been torn down. Dave called him and he came out of the little den he had. We could see something was horribly wrong. I can't go in to it but it was bad, I don't know how he lasted as long as he did. We got him to the vet, talking to him all the way. He perked up when he heard Dave's voice - they were very close. But when the vet examined him we could all see there was no hope. Whatever attacked him (not our lot - they were in all night) had tried to pull him through the wire.

Yes it was 'only a bird' and a wild one too. Yes we had only had him 1 month, but he was an amazing character and we loved him to bits. Only yesterday, the cats were all inside, snoozing, and Dave got him out to fly. He sat on his arm and we walked down to feed the fish. Kafka flew onto my arm and back to Dave. He was picking up pieces of gravel and bringing them to us and he had a fascination for Dave's glasses and the hair up Dave's nose.

It is silly things like that that we will remember and smile about. But right now we are both in bits. For him to hang on for so long in that state and to be so trusting of us. I am truly humbled to think a wild creature could decide to trust us.

Yes he was 'just a bird' and this is a cat forum. But the grief and the pain of loss is just the same. We are miles apart issi, but I am am holding you close right now. We can cry on each other's shoulders and sxd the rest of the world.

Dave just bought me a bottle of my favourite wine. I'll drink a toast to the memory of Kafka and our Tommy and one for Armand and Cody. In fact I may just drink the bottle.

God bless you girl

Sue xx
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Oh no, so sorry to hear about Kafka. Well, yes, it is a cat forum but I reckon he thought he WAS a cat.

I'll raise a glass to him too tonight, lots of love and hugs, Lil x
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Oh Sue, I'm so dreadfully sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved Kafka. I marvel at how these little creatures can embed themselves in our hearts so quickly. I have a small 'wild bird sanctuary' on my very large allotment, adore the different birds, including the two Magpies squabbling with each other like a married couple. My friend even gave a chaffinch the kiss of life, yes, honest, because it had become trapped overnight in her greenhouse and she feared it would pass from exhaustion, it didn't, but he's never left her plot, she has grown to love him, so I do understand. It's never just a bird/cat. My sweet Armand died unexpectedly on 31st March, the last morning I was truly content, we expected to return and bring him home after his X-ray in the afternoon. My grief was intermingled with my worry over and fear of losing darling Cody,who died April 29th, exactly 4 weeks later, so although totally devastated, I didn't have much of a chance to think, ruminate. Cody has really only been gone just over 2 months but I seem to have been grieving forever. Armand our 46th wedding anniversary, Cody my birthday weekend. One thing I must say, I have been taken aback, horrified on reading some bereaved pet lovers reports of friends and relatives putting the phone down on them when seeking comfort, or saying 'it's just a cat'. Hand on heart, I have never had that. Not even 30yrs years ago when I lost my 1yr old cat. I have been totally overwhelmed with kindness and compassion, indeed, hugged and squeezed so much, I fear I am going to go 'POP'. My family, who are scattered all over Britain, have constantly phoned,sent texts, Facebook condolences.My daughter in law sent flowers,my immediate neighbours where deeply upset and 2 people down the street latterly put cards with lovely messages through my letterbox. Even when I met an allotment buddy and I burst into tears, she took me into her hut and made me tea, comforted me. Then of course, I have had the most wonderfully comforting support and understanding from forum members, I honestly do not know how I would have made it through those first few dreadful days and my subsequent sleepless nights, without their complete openness and understanding, allowing me to express my deep emotions in private, especially when my grand children are around and I don't want to upset them. I wouldn't say I am 'pleased' that other people have suffered the same horrible time, but I have read and re-read all your messages, taken heart, knowing you are there and understand. Thank you.

Issi
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

and P.S. I think as most of you are going to 'drink a toast' it would be churlish of me not to join in. So ..here I am.. opening ..pouring .. a chilled bottle of Chablis ..here's to you wonderful people, may tomorrow bring better times, peace in our hearts ... and a discount in the wine aisle ! Cheers.. slurp.. hmmm.. lovely ;) . Pleasant dreams. xx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

:) Thanks for that Issi. Yes I did drink a toast to all our lost friends - perhaps a little too much on an empty stomach! Still, I felt decidedly 'mellow'. ;)

I thought I heard OH come home - he was out dealing with another one of our 'charges', a donkey he has 'adopted', she needed her feet seeing to so he called in a favour. It was not him, but someone I'd done illustrations for YEARS ago. He wanted to know if I could restore an old clock case for him. I can, but felt very uneasy talking to him as I felt quite squiffy! Hope he doesn't think I'm some kind of lush! :oops:

All the time this is going on Bob, Gracie and Purdy are darting about and popping up from behind plant pots and out of windows. They know something is wrong and the guy must think it's a mad house! Hey ho!

Hope you enjoyed your Chablis as much as I did my Shiraz! Very best wishes to you and to Lilith, thank you.

Sue x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Oh Sue that's a horrible thing to happen to poor Kafka, I'm so very sorry. Both you and your OH are such wonderful people to have helped him in the first place, you don't deserve another loss so soon after Tommy. Thinking of you. (((hugs)))
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

A donkey? I think you are going to have to get bigger cat flap! :).
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

:lol: :lol: Oh don't go giving him ideas! I already refer to house cleaning as 'mucking-out', I don't want to have to do it for real. :roll:
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Funnily enough we're considering adding a couple of donkeys to the family. Save on the lawn mowing! :D
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Better not tell him that either! 'Aw, why can't we have one'. :roll: I am quite sure he will bring June (donkey's name) home with him one day. She has an owner but gets minimum care.