Kylie 11/7/16

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Kylie in for her ultrasound and paw check tomorrow

Post by bobbys girl »

That's good news. :)
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

The irony is, they were next door for s many years - now they have moved, I have been there more than ever. Only 10 minutes walk max, but a metal carrier, even with a light cat, doubles in weight :D - I found a quiet route through a '6 foot way' behind the junior school - unfortunately, we met a 'walking bus' (about 100 kids with teachers) coming back this time,so I had to do a detour :roll:
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Lol - my vet's only a short walk away too but you're right, it's amazing how heavy a cat can feel by the time you get there and there are steps, and 2 doors opening the wrong way...I've given in and bought a show trolley which I can take to the back entrance.

Very sorry to hear about Kylie's setback and hope it's plain sailing now and that any nasties and complications are kept at bay, all paws here crossed and Shahi the royal python is crossing his tail :)
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

We got the all-clear for Kylie to go without her bandage today :D https://goo.gl/photos/xeNf5Z2oHyx2URbj6

Now it is a case of watching her breathing and hoping that the cancer hasn't spread to her lungs.

Also trying to manage the diarrhea, which in turn should help her anaemia/B12 deficiency. I am also supplementing B12

Anyone that remembers how big Kylie used to be will see that she is a shadow of her old 6.5kg self :(
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Her coat still looks remarkably good considering all she's been through, though - testament to your loving care. I'm glad the paw is healing well, and everything here crossed that her lungs are not affected. xx
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Kylie must feel a lot happier without the bandage. I love the photo Mark, how old is she now?
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

She must be 17 now. I adopted her from CP in London (rehoming centre in Holloway Road) at the beginning of 2002. At the time, they were very exact about her age being 2 1/2 - I think she had been surrendered, rather than having been a stray- although before me, she had been adopted and then returned after a couple of weeks, by a moron, whose excuse was 'It doesn't do anything, we want a puppy instead' - anyway, their loss :D
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

God help the puppy!

Kylie is looking very good for her age. Hope she continues to improve. Fusses to her.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Aww, bless her
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

MarkB wrote:she had been adopted and then returned after a couple of weeks, by a moron, whose excuse was 'It doesn't do anything, we want a puppy instead' - anyway, their loss :D
What the heck did he expect - cartwheels??????? Words fail me!!! :roll:
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

She does look well for her age! I didn’t know she was that young ;) :D I thought she was about 12. She’s just gorgeous!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

She looks a feisty little madam - I'm sure she intends to stay with you a good while longer - got that glint in her eye...

'Didn't do anything' eh? Well I'm sure the puppy did...all over the kitchen floor, and then when the novelty wore off they could stick it outside to scream for hours...Kylie's guardian angel was watching over her for sure when the morons returned her and she found you :) Yes, poor puppy though, but perhaps they didn't bother in the end, do hope so.

Those bandages remind me of the time when George and the Leopard, a three quarter Siamese brother and sister, were with me. The Leopard came home one day with a deep cut in her back leg, off to the vet, returned stitched up with a huge bandage...

The Leopard was the original naughty tortie, with tortitude - as soon as she got out of her carrier she whipped the bandage off. Not wearing that, she said. But George thought it was a mouse.

As a bandage it may have been useless. But it gave George hours of pleasure... :lol:

All the best, Kylie! x
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Kylie 11/7/16

Post by MarkB »

Sorry to report thatKylie went downhill over the weekend. She went off her food, began breathing heavily and was very weak and lethargic. The vet managed to do a no-sedated digital x-ray this morning and there were patches showing that her lungs were filling with fluid. One lobe hadalready collapsed. Jane got a 2nd opinion from one of the other vets and they agreed that it was almost certainly where the cancer had spread - even if if was something else, it couldn't have been managed. They thought it wasn't fair to drain it, as it would almost certainly get worse again.

We will miss our Kylie. I adopted her from CP early in 2002 (She was previously called Minty) So she just about made it to 17, as she was 2 1/2 at the time.

http://i.imgur.com/mpLs2q7.jpg
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

:cry:
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Kylie 11/7/16

Post by Crewella »

Oh Mark, I'm so very sorry. I know how much you will miss Kylie, but it's also that her passing follows on the heels of losing Laz and Alice ..... it must feel like the end of an era.

I wish there was something I could say to help you, but you know that I think you took exemplary care of her, as you do all your cats. You often go waaaaay beyond what most people would do as you have the knowledge (and inclination) to do that. Thinking of you (((hugs))) xx
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Dear Mark I am so terribly sorry to hear this. As Helen says it must feel like the end of an era.

You did all you possibly could for Kylie. And she couldn't have had a happier home or have been more loved!! She touched many hearts on here and was a part of the family. We will all miss her.

Sleep tight beautiful girl.

Sending hugs to you Xx
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Thanks Helen & Carol. I know many others on here know exactly how we are feeling - As you say, Helen, the end of an era. It was just Kylie and me at the beginning - I couldn't have been more certain that she had the best care from Jane the vet. She did everything she could. She even said that as Kylie was a stressy cat, she wanted to sedate her first. It made things a bit easier for us as Kylie was already sleeping with a canula in when Jane brought her through to the special room they have at the new clinic. Jane said that her father died from bowel cancer several years ago and his last days were terrible - she only wishes she could have done for him, what she did for Kylie. I had Kylie on my lap on the sofa at the very end. Jane said we could stay with her, but I decided that we had already said our goodbyes. We were able to leave by a separate door so we wouldn't have to go through reception. I'm sure it will all sink in later.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Mark, I'm so very sorry to hear - I did hope that the paw op would allow her more time with you but yes, definitely better a swift leave-taking than a painful lingering-on.

Sleep tight precious Kylie and hugs to the rest of your household, feline and human, Lil x
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Mark, I'm so very sorry to hear this. Kylie was one of the Catchat stars, and we travelled so much of that road with you through your posts and updates. We were all routing for her, and for you, but some battles can't be won. Your vet sounds wonderful, and everyone did their best to make her passing comfortable and peaceful. But she will leave a big empty space. RIP Kylie, you were very much loved, and will be missed in equal measure. Hugs to you Mark. Xx
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

I'm so sorry, Mark. I know how you must be feeling now.

Sleep well little Kylie. xxx
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Mark I too am sorry. It just never gets easier

((hug))

RIP gorgeous girl x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Your vet, Jane, sounds an absolute star and I'm so glad that she was able to give you and Kylie such a peaceful ending to your journey together. I'm thinking of you and your OH tonight. xx

Rest in peace beautiful Madame Kylie.
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

Dear Mark, I cannot really add anything that others haven't already said.

You were the best daddy to your precious girl. She will be sorely missed by all on CC.

Love to you all from me and the gang xxx
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Shelly and Dora »

Dear Mark.

It's so hard to find any words of comfort at this time. It certainly sounds like your vet was amazing and helped Kylie pass peacefully to the bridge.

I can't begin to think how you are feeling. Love to you and yours. The CC family is in mourning with you. Love Dora & I xxx
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Dear Mark,

Beautiful, feisty, dearly loved Kylie - such a totally gorgeous girl. You did everything for your baby girl, and are the best kitty daddy in the world, bar none. I am so sorry for your grief. All your old babies gone so close together. I am glad you have Dom, Ingrid and Kasper to help you know. Kylie was a one off, wasn't she, like my Pepz. There's never be another Kylie, but there will be many more cats who will benefit from your devoted care.

Sarah, Pepz, Lou Lou and Edgar xx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Mark - I am so sorry to hear your news. I didn't know until I just posted my bit of sillyness.

However much you are prepared for this it is still so hard to bear. I think the other folks have said it all so well. RIP sweet Kylie. ((Hugs)) to you both Mark

Sue x
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Thanks everyone. She really was a special girl who commanded respect from the other cats (and us) I loved all the other cats, but she was my special girl. She was never any bother and often ended up as background. She never really had any serious health problems and just got on with doing her thing.

We have already been laughing about the expensive floor cushion that OH bought a few months ago, but Kylie claimed it from the start - she was worth it.

We are going to miss that girl :(
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I'm so sorry to hear this Mark, I really hoped the cancer hadn't spread. RIP little one
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Thanks Desley. Kylie as a girl (she was about 4)
Attachments
59872.jpg
59872.jpg (17.34 KiB) Viewed 8047 times
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

gorgeous girl x