My cat needs to go on a diet :(

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
gillybean129
Frequent Cat Chatter

My cat needs to go on a diet :(

Post by gillybean129 »

Harry had what I thought was asthma attack, he has been a bit wheezy for a while and snores. I found it really distressing him wheezing (not retching hairball) that I booked him straight in.
The vet listened to his heart and respiration and said she thought it was slightly up but couldn't hear anything worrisome but she did say that as he was so overweight it doesn't help. He weighs 7.5 kg, he eats 2 pouches and a small handful of purina, he usually leaves one pouch but as he won't drink water and once had a UTI I always add water so I am concerned that he is to be given a dry food only diet (Hills metabolic diet) the nurse said she felt sure he'd drink on this I don't think he's eating that much bit the fact he is an indoor cat means he doesn't get much exercise.
Anyone else experienced this?
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: My cat needs to go on a diet :(

Post by MarySkater »

I had a cat (Robin) who was somewhat overweight at 6.5kg. Originally I fed him wet food, and I never saw him drink. Then he got bad teeth, and had to have several removed. The vet recommended feeding him a special dry food with large kibbles, which would help keep his remaining teeth clean. When he was on dry food, he did drink water, but I think not enough. He had one distressing bout of cystitis, then a few weeks later a milder bout. After that, I put him back on wet food, adding water as you do. I said to the vet that he could if necessary live without any teeth, but he had to be able to pee, and she agreed with my priorities.

Since then, I've always preferred feeding wet food rather than dry.
gillybean129
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by gillybean129 »

Thanks, I think I'd rather try him on the wet, but he'd probably leave that as he's picky but he's eat the biccys! So afraid he'll not drink though and with his history...
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

Have you tried him with the special cat milk? It's probably fairly high in calories, but it would get liquid into him, and you could always cut the purina down (or out) to compensate. Or if he must have some dry food, try to find one that he doesn't like so much? :)
gillybean129
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by gillybean129 »

He doesn't like the cat milk :( I have never seen him lap any liquid from a bowl and I am concerned after 6 years he won't now. He will drink from the tap if he is really thirsty bu tI can't leave it running all day, he wouldn't use a water fountain either.
This Hills stuff is really expensive too!
Lallum
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Lallum »

My male cat, Midnight, has always been a big boy. 18 months ago he had a very bad bout of cystitis and had the op. He weighed 6.5 kilos but ate exactly the same as his sister who was average weight. Whilst I think he was probably meant to be a big cat, I couldn't watch another bout of cystitis. I have therefore put him on a diet. It has been hard work. He gets 2 sachets of Hills prescription diet cd for breakfast and supper. In addition, he gets 4 grams at lunch and tea time of the same (but dried) food. He is constantly asking for more. He steals food from his sisters if I don't watch him. He will steal food from my plate. He was going into another house and stealing their cats food. They've now moved. He is now down below 6kg but it has been hard work but he hasn't had cystitis and shows more interest in chasing balls, chasing his sisters and generally going out.

The vet has been very good but it is demoralising that it takes so long and so much effort. I've lost a bigger percentage of my body weight over the same period!!
Guinevere
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Guinevere »

My cat ate Purina biscuits (Salmon or Chicken) every day for years on end and she became very overweight (and still is). Now she is diabetic and I have to inject her each morning (she's on human insulin as the animal insulin had no effect!) and I blame it on all those carbohydrates. Now I feed her Meowing Heads Chicken no grain biscuits to keep her carbs down. You might want to try Midnight on those. Only a few shops sell it but I get mine online. Previously, she was on the Hills Diet Chicken kibbles and she actually loved them! Perhaps without feeding the wet food, he will begin to drink the water?