Both cats have fleas.... HELP!!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
cathyday
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Both cats have fleas.... HELP!!

Post by cathyday »

It's been a while since I last posted on here because both my boys have been in tip top health, however that all changed a couple of weeks ago when we noticed Boris over grooming. He has fleas! Then H started acting strangely, jumping around & howling in the house. Yup he too has fleas.

We've no idea where they've come from as we are hot on treating them with monthly Advantage Spot On & with grooming Boris who now doesn't wash that often being 18 years old.

Thus far I've retreated them both with Spot On. Washed all their bedding weekly. Hoovered 3 times a week. Used Bob Martin carpet spray to get rid of fleas, ticks, lice & dust mites. However despite all this I'm still finding fleas on both & H is still acting very strangely in the house.

I don't know what else to do so I'm looking to you guys for help. I have hoovered the carpet on my hands & knees tonight & have seen nothing in our carpets but I guess that doesn't mean they're not lurking....

Have any of you any idea how long it will be before we stop seeing fleas on my boys? This is all very upsetting....
cattrina99
Returning Cat Chatter

Re: Both cats have fleas.... HELP!!

Post by cattrina99 »

Oh, I hear you! Fleas are awful. Have you tried a different brand of flea treatment with a different ingredient? I find some work better than others. If you're in Australia, Advocate seems to be the best.
When hoovering the furniture, flea treatment etc. weren't enough and were getting bitten as well, we resorted to flea bombs in each room. This meant a day out of the house for the cat and us. But it did solve the problem.
Good luck to you!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I'd change the flea treatment and use something different on the furniture than Bob Martin
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Unfortunately I think this warm wet weather we are having is perfect for fleas. I would suggest having a word with your vet, some of the prescription only spot on treatments, like Stronghold or Frontline can be more effective. I'm not sure but there might be different ingredients in different treatments. Changing occasionally might prevent the fleas developing a resistance to a particular one. Again your vet is probably the best one to advise you.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

You would probably be better off spraying the house with something like Indorex or Acclaim, which not only kill fleas, but also prevent eggs from hatching. Things like Bob Martin powder, only kill the fleas - not only that, but the active ingredient, Permethrin, is toxic, even lethal to cats. It should be banned.

http://icatcare.org/permethrin/owner-info
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Whilst I agree that the Bob Martin is probably not the best, sadly both Indorex and Acclaim also have Permethrin as their main ingredient. Always be careful when using any household flea treatment and don't let your cats near it until it's dry. :(
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Cathy, hello stranger- it has been ages; good to hear from you.

Another thing to do is get flea collars, cut them in half and put a half into your vacuum bag / cylinder. That should hopefully stop any flea eggs from hatching inside the vacuum.

And not sure how effective these are but may be worth thinking about: http://www.seresto.com/en/seresto-for-cats/
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by alanc »

I've been using Broadline for the past year, recommended (and supplied) by my Vet. Certainly seems to work better. Agree with Mark that Indorex or Acclaim are best for spraying the house. Crewella's point that it must be dry before allowing your cat near treated surfaces is very true. Fortunately the stuff lasts a long time, one application of Acclaim should last a year. I tend to do the application as the last thing to do before going on annual holiday, after Tilly has gone to the cattery. Gives plenty of time for it to dry before Tilly comes home!
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

I didn't know about Indorex containing Permethrin Helen. I have used it twice though, with great success - both times were for the same reason. I had moved into houses early in the year and had flea infestations from previous owners in the spring. Luckily, the first time was years ago when I didn't have cats and the other time, when we moved into this house. We used it the once (12 years ago) and have never had a problem since. I'm sure it contains something that prevents eggs from hatching though?
Last edited by MarkB on Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Sorry Mark, Indorex does work well and I've used it myself, and yes it does also contain ingredients that stop eggs from developing. It also remains active for months - long after it has ceased to be of any concern to your cat. As I say just make sure it's dry before letting a cat near it, and personally I won't spray cat beds or stuff they spend a lot of time on, I hot wash that instead.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Yes Helen. The first time I didn't have any knowledge at all, so went to a vet, who sold me the Indorex. They told me to keep people and animals out for at least an hour after spraying. It was a bad infestation, but it 100% worked. I remember standing at the cooker in the carpeted (really! :D ) kitchen and my legs beginning to itch and finding these fleas on my legs - thinking abut it, they were possibly too large to have been cat fleas.
shazxx50
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by shazxx50 »

After a 2wk stay in a cattery my girl came back with uninvited friends, i tried all the shop brought flea treatment on the house but still couldnt rid the house of them. In the end i went to the vets and brought 2 giant tins of spray, that worked, im sure if you visit the vet they will give you some good killer for the house
good luck
sharon
Guinevere
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Guinevere »

Yes, get some aerosol house sprays from the vet. They are pricey but well worth it. Remove all the plants and any other living thing. Wear a face mask and give it a great spray all around the skirting board edges and between the floorboards if you have exposed ones and everywhere else and then get out of there quick.....!! You need to be out for hours before returning, then hoover everywhere very thoroughly and that should be the end of it.
catslave16
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by catslave16 »

Rufus Tuftypaws had just a few flea bites but turned out to be allergic, developing small scabs. He had one dose of Comfortis and four days later the problem had vanished.