Hills Prescription C/D dry food query

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Harry101
Frequent Cat Chatter

Hills Prescription C/D dry food query

Post by Harry101 »

Does anyone use this product to help with their cats cystitis? My Sophie has ongoing stress related cystitis and in the last week we have started to use Hills C\D dry food with stress relief. My query is is it designed to increase cats thirst to make her urinate more often? Thanks, anyone with any advice on treating stress related cystitis would be appreciated. I already have a Feliway plug in but do not think this works
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Hills Prescription C/D dry food query

Post by Kay »

I've never treated stress cystitis with Hills, but I have successfully used on a regular basis one of the non-prescription bladder strenghtening supplements - Cystease, Cystaid etc

I have had my 14 year old girl Tiffany on a daily dose for years, increasing it to 2 a day when I first notice the early symptoms, and then reducing it to one a day after 2 weeks, and then one every other day - increasing again if symptoms recurred, or when a stressful event was in the offing

these supplements come in powder form, in easy to open capsules, which can be mixed into food - I must have administered over a thousand doses to Tiffany, and she has never rejected the food, so I'm pretty sure it's odour and taste less
Harry101
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Harry101 »

Thank you for your reply, I use these every day too not sure if they make any difference just hope they help her bladder lining.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

My Daz has a history of cystitis and I still give him a maintenance dose of Cystpohan every other day. Make sure the version of Cystease/Cystophan/whetever you give her has L-Tryptophan in it (some of the more generic ones don't) as that also helps with stress.

I also feed him a mixture of wet and dry food with the prescription urinary (reduced calorie for 'fat boy') biscuits as the dry part, and I believe that it does have additives to make them drink more water. However, I'm not taking the chance and add at least a tablespoon of water to his wet food at every meal and also give him cat milk as a treat, just to keep his bladder flushed through and stop the build-up of any irritants. Thankfully (touch wood) this regime does seem to have helped and it's now a couple of years since he had any issues.

I hope it helps Sophie - cystitis is horrible. Any questions please don't hesitate to ask. :)
Harry101
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Harry101 »

Thanks for the advice. I just want the tiny bits of blood to clear. It happens in the morning or overnight at the moment so far less than the last few weeks. Both Saturday and Sunday morning at around 5am she came in crying and peed on my bed but this morning there was nothing thankfully. Hopefully this food will help with the flushing and hopefully the stress will reduce and then hopefully no blood. Thanks again, take care
Lallum
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Lallum »

I use the dried cd and the diet pouches for Midnight. He gets a pouch at bedtime and breakfast and 4grams of dried at lunchtime and tea time. I was bemused that he didn't drink any water ever so I, for a while, I was giving him water with a syringe each meal time. I recently found some cheap cat soup which I diluted and gave him at lunchtime. At the moment I'm giving him water with his breakfast and supper.

Midnight had severe cystitis 18 months ago and I thought I'd lose him. He had 'the big op' and apart from one brief relapse has been fine. I try to give him extra water in hot weather. I've never understood why he doesn't drink water.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I firmly believe that water is the most important factor in cystis issues as it helps to dilute the urine and so lessen the effects of any irritants, as well as helping to flush through and eliminate them from the bladder. I'm glad Sophie seems a little better. :)

*Glad Midnight is still doing well too* xx
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Jan »

Totally agree with Helen about adding lots of water to food. But no vet has ever recommended I give Blackie anything other than wet food pouches. Fortunately my mother had always fed him on Felix wet pouches anyway.

We were originally given Hills c/d wet urinary stress food after his first bout of stress related cystitis and told he should have nothing else but. Blackie had other ideas and refused to eat it. He likes the juice mixed with water but not the food. So it was back to Felix with the vet advising us to add as much warmed water to his food as he would lap up along with 1 x Cystophan daily - 2 when any stressful event is coming up. This has kept him cystitis free for over 2 years now.

The only Hills c/d urinary stress food he will eat is the dry kibbles - but vet has told me not to give him more than a few at a time. They have now become a way of stopping him licking fur off his belly when I see him doing it :roll:

The vet also thinks that having lots of added water along with a phosphate binder added to his food has helped keep his CKD at Stage I for nearly 18 months now and kept his cystitis at bay.
Lallum
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Lallum »

When I struggle to get cd pouches (I've just come back from holiday and we are just about out awaiting the delivery tomorrow), I give him Felix as good as pouches with additional water.

Midnight has perked up since he fell in love. Lola came to us in January when she was facing being put down. It was love at first sight (although not on her part). He now spends a lot of his time looking after his harem and making sure they get fed on time. He doesn't mind being the last cat fed as long as Lola and Magic are happy. However both the girls are feisty and chase him around the house. All of which I think helps as he gets more exercise. He did go out overnight with Lola recently so he's moving slowly to an active life. I think all of this has helped with his weight loss which continues although slower than I'd like. I also think he was always going to be a big cat . He has a decent 'waist' and large paws.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Oh bless Midnight! I must admit that when Daz met and fell for his Peaches it helped enormously with his diet and excercise regime. We both still miss her terribly. :(