Thank you lmills and Marla (alternative meds for stiff joints)

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Thank you lmills and Marla (alternative meds for stiff joints)

Post by Lilith »

I recently posted on Zella's thread 'Neighbour's cat walking stiffly' as I too have an elderly cat (14) who was beginning to do the same thing, and saw recommendations from lmills for Cosequin and Marla for Yumove. I didn't want to put my timid Mouse through a vet visit or start her on Metacam just yet (though I've used Metacam for an arthritic cat and would use it again if needs be) but thought I'd hold off for a week or two and try alternatives.

I ordered both Cosequin and Yumove, which are actually quite similar, and decided to start Mouse on whichever arrived first, which was the Yumove. She's had it for 5 days now, one sprinkle capsule on a dessertspoonful of gourmet fishy food (Encore) as in some reviews it was said that the very fishy smell of the capsule powder repelled some cats. Luckily Mouse likes fish; her dish is always polished lol!

When she was a young cat she used to back herself against a door, stamp up and down with her back feet and 'flitter' her tail...until I knew her better I used to think she was going to spray (some girl cats DO spray!) I haven't seen her do this for years but yesterday she did. She's the kind of cat who likes to hide away (I've made her a 'Mousey Cave') but she's coming out more and more - possibly looking for more fishy titbits as she's a greedy girl, though not overweight, but her movements are definitely more youthful and lively (standing on her back legs to rub my hand and just generally prancing about.)

Yes, I know, early days yet, but there is an unmistakable difference. Lmills also comments that a dramatic difference was seen in the cat's mobility in four days with the Cosequin, which Mouse will 'trial' when the Yumove runs out.

Breakdown on contents and price:-

Yumove contains (per capsule)

150mg glucosamine
100mg green-lipped mussel extract (contains natural chondroitin)
0.75 mg hyaluronic acid
1.5 mg manganese
1mg vitamin E

60 sprinkle capsules for 13.30 inc p&p

Cosequin contains (per capsule)

125 mg glucosamine
100mg chondroitin
1mg manganese

55 sprinkle capsules for 16.10 inc p&p

So as you can see the two brands don't differ much; the Yumove, for me, worked out cheaper - but with some more shopping about I might have been able to get a cheaper price on the Cosequin. I ordered both via Amazon.

Cosequin can apparently cause loose motions (a human friend can't take Glucosamine for the same reasons) so I expect the Yumove might have the same result, but I've seen no sign of this so far with Mouse, who gets Royal Canin Fibre Response for chronic constipation - but I haven't been feeding the FR just in case.

So, lmills and Marla, thank you very much for your recommendations. This supplement has definitely caused an improvement in Mouse's case, and saved her the stress of a vet visit, possible blood tests and so on. If needs be in the future I will get her checked out professionally but at the moment she's starting to be a new cat.

While I'd always say better safe than sorry with regard to vet visits even if unnecessary (I'll never forget the weekend when my old tomcat Finn seemed off-colour and I hired a pet taxi and rushed him to the out of hours surgery miles away; on his arrival the little horror was the picture of health; not a thing wrong with him) I must say that it's definitely been worth trying a joint supplement like this in Mouse's case.

Wish us luck and watch this space :D
Last edited by Lilith on Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Thank you lmills and Marla (alternative meds for stiff joints)

Post by Kay »

I too am going to try Yumove for my 14 year old Tiffany - it arrived this morning so I will be opening a tin of cat tuna tonight
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hey Kay, hope in a few days time Tiffany's dancing about like your avatar :D
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Marla »

I'm so glad it helped! :)
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieJulie »

Very interesting post. I've got Yumove for my boy but he just hates it. My vet told me its the green lipped muscle that does the good work.
Unfortunately he hates it though but I'll preservere after reading this.

I got him to take Easeflex but the Amazon supplier was atrocious (Vetimed). The ad shows the wrong quantities (so you get a lot less than expected ) even after the supplier admitted he knew it had been wrong for some time. The ad was withdrawn for a while but then reappeared still wrong.

The second order never arrived and after him being mega unhelpful it went to dispute and Amazon refunded me.

Would love to know if there is anywhere else to get this ?
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieJulie »

Edit to my previous post I've now worked out getting from another supplier on Amazon so fingers crossed thus time....
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Marla »

Trying mixing it with a smaller portion of food first thing in the morning. They'll usually eat it if they're hungry.

I buy from Animed Direct - £12.99 with free delivery:
http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/yumove-ad ... of-60.html
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Marla »

Vet UK sell it too and it's slightly cheaper but you have to spend more to get free delivery.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

Tiffany will only take Yumove in cat tuna, so I'm going to have to freeze a tin in tablespoon portions as I don't really like giving it every day

but after only three doses she jumped on to my bed in one go, whereas before she had taken to getting up using a low table as a stepping stool

she better not start getting up on the kitchen work surfaces though, as I was glad when that stopped a couple of years back - Yumove mustn't be allowed to turn into Yutakeliberties
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Kay wrote:she better not start getting up on the kitchen work surfaces though, as I was glad when that stopped a couple of years back - Yumove mustn't be allowed to turn into Yutakeliberties
:lol:

Glad she's improving :)

Hey Julie Julie that Easeflex is a tuna flavoured treat? I found a site giving the breakdown of contents and per 'dose' it's identical to Yumove and Cosequin; once Mouse is on the way to finishing those I might try her on the Easeflex as a) something different and b) easier to slip a quick treat to her in a multi-cat household where they can HEAR a little bowl being smuggled upstairs lol.

Hi Marla, you and lmills certainly have helped; this is brilliant stuff! Mousey's much more mobile and sociable; it really is making a difference to her :)
lmills75
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by lmills75 »

I'm so pleased it's been of help.
I don't post on here often (but browse frequently) as I don't have a lot of knowledge to impart! :lol:
But when I know something that can help people, I'm more than happy to share!
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieJulie »

My cats are biscuit monsters which is why the powders have failed. The Easeflex can be broken up and put in with their favorite biscuits...he he...Thanks for all the supplier tips.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Another good tip about Animed, with that free delivery on all UK orders, and always good to have a company recommended and they do Easeflex too, 60 doses for £17.65.

In an uncharacteristically fusspot mood I worked this out to be about 30p per dose, as opposed to Yumove which at present costs me 22p (sorry, my life must be starved of excitement at the moment!) But then (and this gets worse, please bear with me) I added in the cost of a small serving (third of a tin) of Encore. The Encore was on special offer but is still 75p per tiny tin, so the Yumove added to the Encore works out at nearly 50p per day, plus the fussing about smuggling little dishes upstairs. Feeding something cheaper might cut costs, but Mouse likes the Encore and it's better for her than supermarket tuna every day.

Sorry! I HATE people who do this anal kind of thing, costing every penny out! :shock: :D

But it makes you think doesn't it? I shouldn't count the cost of something like this or begrudge the messing about, but looks like the 'easier option' in a multi-cat household of feeding a quick 'treat' every day is actually cheaper.

Also looks like Easeflex will be added to the Mousey alternative remedies trials. I can feed her the odd treat in between days of Yumove/Cosequin...give her a bit of variety from boring old Encore every day.

That cat isn't half going to be enjoying herself, Encore, fishy treats and added mobility too :D

ps Maths is not my strong point; I once refused point blank to fill in my O level exam paper, so I don't know what came over me...must go and lie down in a darkened room... :lol:

pps Again thanks to all the people who've contributed tips and experiences on this thread; please keep them coming :) Mouse's life is being transformed and better still there is no vet visit stress and no vet bills which would cost a lot more than the alternative meds.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I have just ordered some of the Yumove for my Mum's cat as she has arthritis in one of her legs and I thought it might help. I was just wondering, as her other cat is diabetic, does anyone know if it is safe for diabetic cats. Looking at what it contains I think it should be safe, but thought I would ask if any one who uses it actually knew. With two cats it can be really tricky giving meds or supplements to one with out the other getting some, unless you use the chip reader bowls which she doesn't have, and, I'm not sure here cats would readily adapt to now.

Thanks for any replies.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi Ruth, I've no experience with diabetic cats I'm afraid, but could be a good idea to phone the vet and ask; they're usually happy to advise. Lol I DO have experience of trying to feed one without the other, though at present it's not too bad if I choose my moment. Mouse hangs out in the back bedroom where there's a tray and water bowl too so if I get her little bit of doctored food in there quick, and close the door for five minutes it's ok.

Perhaps your mother might find the Easeflex treats easier if the cat will take them; she could always give the other cat a dreamie at the same time if it insisted on being present. I tried Mouse with an Easeflex today; she was interested but didn't eat it, so, as the treat is tiny and of the consistency of liquorice, I chopped it in pieces and added it to a spoonful of Encore - she ate it then. So I live in hopes of her taking it by itself, much quicker and easier if she will.

Hope someone's along soon who's got experience of treating a diabetic cat, all the best :)
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

A quick update, as I saw something last night that I never thought to see again.

I have a bathroom mat of a subtle strawberry ice-cream shade; Emily likes posing on this as, being a ginger, pink is her colour. (Well, I suppose the newness and texture have something to do with it!) I visit the loo, Mouse comes in to have a love, then turns to Emily, flings herself on her side and waves her paws provocatively at Emily, who obliges with a pounce, and for a good few moments these 'old ladies' have a proper rough and tumble, ginger and black tuxedo on the pink mat, rolling about and kicking each other like kittens. They both seem very pleased with themselves.

I never thought to see Mousey so lively again. Sometimes her back end still seems wobbly, but I wonder if this is because she now needs to regain muscle tone; her life before was pretty sedentary, to say the least. If she goes on like this she'll gain it all right, paws crossed :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Lovely to hear of them getting 'fighting fit'! :D
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Crewella wrote:Lovely to hear of them getting 'fighting fit'! :D
You said it :lol:

She's getting to be a right bolshy little madam :D
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

just to say Tiffany turned her nose up after 3 doses of YuMove mixed into tuna, but has just gobbled up her first Easeflex chew and is looking for more

if anyone would like the remaining 45 YuMove capsules please email me your address
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi Kay, when I read your post, I thought, ah. Tiffany doesn't like Yumove, Mouse won't eat Easeflex unless I chop it up with some Encore...solution - straight swap?

But thought, well, I'll try her with a Easeflex one last time - and the little devil munched it up just as it was! Then she jumped up on the bed (I use my bed as a sofa) and pranced about, purring...she's been wrestling just about every night with Emily too.

So, just to say that if anyone else wants your Yumove, please go ahead as I've got plenty, and Easeflex and Cosequin too, but if not, I'll gladly buy them off you as it's clearly something that is working for Mousey and that she's going to go on needing :)

If you hear nothing from anyone, please pm me and we'll sort it out :)
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

thanks Lilith

it's going to Marla, who started all this in the first place!!

I think YuMove doesn't work with Tiffany because she isn't that keen on wet food - I tried it in a small amount of cat tuna but although she does eat it, once or twice a week is enough for her
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Marla »

Lilith can have it!

Sorry it didn't work out for you, Kay.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

oh dear - what have I started? :roll:

anyway, a third CC regular has come forward as the compromise candidate ;) so will let her have them as long as she doesn't join the battle :lol:
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Lol - fine by me, glad you've found a home for them :D