FIV+ cat sneezing

Exchange FIV advice and information here.
Blue Orion
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

FIV+ cat sneezing

Post by Blue Orion »

Hi there

I recently adopted a lovely FIV+ boy, about 3. He's been with me for a week but over the past couple of days he's started sneezing.
There's no discharge from his eyes and only clear drops from his nose. He's a bit less energetic than usual but not off his food or water at all!

I've spoken to my vet surgery (several times..!) and they've told me not to worry and keep an eye on him, but I'm still a bit unsure.
Does anyone have any experience of this and/or the 'danger signs' I should watch out for.

He's having his new pet check-up on Monday so hopefully he'll be ok until then... :?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: FIV+ cat sneezing

Post by Lilith »

Hi again - I don't know that much about FIV but I'd hazard a guess that, with him being so new, this could be down to the change of environment - he sounds very happy with you but you know how even a good change in your life can still be stressful? It seems quite common in cats FIV+ or not, to come down with sniffles or a runny eye in this situation, but it usually clears up pretty quickly; I hope this is the case with Orion. Also, given his FIV+ status and unknown history, he may have what's called a 'low-grade infection' which he'll generally show no sign of and live with quite happily, but any upheaval and he'll show mild symptoms - like sneezing. I realise it's worrying in a FIV+ cat though - hope someone more knowledgeable's along soon, good luck, paws crossed, and give him a love from me :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

It is not something I have experienced with Bob, but my older cat, Willow, is a sneezer. We have never been able to find out what causes it. Her nose runs when she does it. :?

If he is eating and drinking OK, I'd just put it down to a change of environment, just as Lilith says. Keep an eye on him and mention it to the vet tomorrow.

Let us know how you go on.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'd trust your vet. The thing with FIV+ cats is just to keep an eye out to make sure things donn't turn into anything nasty, but they do get sniffles and shake them off again just like other cats. It could well be the change in environment, just keep an eye on him. :)