Lost cat found??

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
shadow-puss
Frequent Cat Chatter

Lost cat found??

Post by shadow-puss »

Hi all,

I just wanted some advice really, last October we lost our beloved cat Louis after he went out for a stroll and didnt come back :cry:
However yesterday I couldn't get Louis out of my mind so before i went to bed i had another online search for any cats that had been found in Iver ( where we lived when Louis went missing) where to my suprise on pets located i stumble across an advert for a found cat in Iver with a striking resemblace to Louis! advertising a medium haired black cat, roughly 2 years old,Male, neutered,not chipped(our biggest mistake) great with kids, very affectionate. All of which sounds like Louis! my fiancee is off to see the lady whos been caring for him tonight to see if its him, but how will we know its him for sure? I'ts been 9 months since we last saw him, he's very thin,his coat isnt at its best and he has sustained injurys to his tail, im so worried we may not recognise him when it is him, or think its him when it isnt. He is a fully black cat with the odd white hair in his coat, he has no really distiguishing marks he was just a longish haired black cat. Does anyone have any advice or experiences they can share that may help? He possibly wont even remember his name :(

( i cant go with my fiancee to ID the cat as i have to stay with my dughter who would find it too upsetting if it wasnt him)
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Lost cat found??

Post by Kay »

difficult with a black cat

has Louis had any vet treatment which might have left clues behind? dental work for instance?

but you may find the person who placed the Found ad might be of help, such as when this cat was first spotted - also speak to old neighbours to see if the cat has been seen around your old house
shadow-puss
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by shadow-puss »

Louis had no dental work or treatment other than neutering and we had no neighbours where we used to live it was set up a dirt track off the road :?
we had mostly fields behind us so even if he had been back i dont think anyone would have seen or know of him to realise. :|
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

if this cat is as friendly as finder says, and if you think he might be Louis, how would you feel about taking him on anyway?

it might be one of those Kismet situations which turns out really well whatever the truth is
shadow-puss
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by shadow-puss »

well my other half has said that when he goes to see the cat, if he feels at all as though there is any possibility it is Louis he will bring him home and if it turned out not to be him it wouldnt be an issue, we have toyed with the idea of getting another cat before. I would just feel as though i have cheated the finder of the cat slightly if it turned out to not be him, she herself has lost 2 cats in Iver as it seems to be a lost cat hot spot so to speak. when we first lost Louis there were hundreds of cats reported missing and Iver is only a small village/town which we always thought was rather odd. Not to mention the finder has been looking after this cat since May and has children of her own who will be attached to it, so then there is the other moral debate that if the cat is happy and the finder is happy, maybe the cats best staying where he is? I dont know, it's such a tricky situation, i hope there is something that makes it strikingly obvious that it is our Louis, he does have a unique "voice" its just wether this cat choses to be vocal while other half is there.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Good luck, it IS a dilemma but even if it's definitely Louis and you decide to leave him where he is, if he's settled, you will know he's alive and safe and loved and be relieved of that terrible 'not knowing.' All the best :)
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

shadow-puss wrote:well my other half has said that when he goes to see the cat, if he feels at all as though there is any possibility it is Louis he will bring him home and if it turned out not to be him it wouldnt be an issue, we have toyed with the idea of getting another cat before. I would just feel as though i have cheated the finder of the cat slightly if it turned out to not be him, she herself has lost 2 cats in Iver as it seems to be a lost cat hot spot so to speak. when we first lost Louis there were hundreds of cats reported missing and Iver is only a small village/town which we always thought was rather odd. Not to mention the finder has been looking after this cat since May and has children of her own who will be attached to it, so then there is the other moral debate that if the cat is happy and the finder is happy, maybe the cats best staying where he is? I dont know, it's such a tricky situation, i hope there is something that makes it strikingly obvious that it is our Louis, he does have a unique "voice" its just wether this cat choses to be vocal while other half is there.
Would you be happy and could you have 'closure' knowing Louis is alive and well and being well cared for in his new home? And then you go to a rescue local to you and adopt a cat from there? It really is a tricky situation and I don't envy you being in it.

Best of luck to you all this evening; whatever the outcome x
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

The only thing I can add to this, is if it is Louis, you will just know.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

[quote=“MarkB"]The only thing I can add to this, is if it is Louis, you will just know.[/quote]

Yep I think so too.
shadow-puss
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by shadow-puss »

Ok so thank you for all your help and advice heres the update: Mark B was right, there was no doubt it was Louis 9 months later we have found our cat! he is thinner and his once bushy tail is now a little matted but it is definitly him...the finder kindly gave us a cat carrier to bring him home :D :D :D :D :D
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Aww that is GREAT! :D

One of those miraculous happy endings - nine months!

Welcome home Louis! :D
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Hooray! Sure it won't take too long to fatten him up!
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Great news :D

Hopefully he will be grounded for a bit :?
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I'm so glad for you

I guess getting him chipped is now on your 'to do' list after feeding him up
shadow-puss
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by shadow-puss »

Most definitely! he's booked in at our vets for a check up tomorrow and hopefully they will be able to chip him then as well if he's not too thin. Poor little guy, it's ironic really I used to call him fat boy now he's a skinny little thing.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

I’m really pleased for you, you must be so relieved. Let us know how things go and do give him a welcome home snuggle from me.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Wonderful news that you have him back, safe and hopefully sound.

I would also like to say a Thank You to the finder for looking after him and then letting him go, I hope her children weren't too upset about it.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hello Shadow-puss lovely to read your post. Gives me hope in humanity re: Louis's finder. Sure he'll get a clear bill of health from the vet. (((Hugs to Louis))) If only he could talk hey!! Vivian
catslave16
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by catslave16 »

What a wonderfully heart-warming story, I'm so pleased for you, Shadow-puss and Louis both. I'd just like to add, that if Louis had been settled and the kind lady's children would have been upset if he went, she probably wouldn't have advertised him as a found cat.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Really good news! So happy for you all and God bless the lady who found him. :D
shadow-puss
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by shadow-puss »

Thank goodness there are kind hearted people like her out there, had it not have been for her Louis may never have made it particularly through another winter. we are so glad to have him home. The lady did say they were going to take him to the RSPCA if nobody came forward within the next couple of weeks. We have arranged for a bouquet of flowers to be sent to her house to say thank you and I just hope with all my heart that she finds her two lost kitties and another kind hearted person is taking care of them somewhere.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

shadow-puss wrote:Thank goodness there are kind hearted people like her out there, had it not have been for her Louis may never have made it particularly through another winter. we are so glad to have him home. The lady did say they were going to take him to the RSPCA if nobody came forward within the next couple of weeks. We have arranged for a bouquet of flowers to be sent to her house to say thank you and I just hope with all my heart that she finds her two lost kitties and another kind hearted person is taking care of them somewhere.
The lady did the right thing. I would have done the same, even if we had got a bit attached to the cat it’s only right to try and find an owner who could be dearly missing him like you would your own. Given that she’d lost her own she would know exactly how it feels too.
It’s lovely to hear of missing cats found, especially after so long. You will have to post us a picture when you get a mo! :)
shadow-puss
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by shadow-puss »

I hope it gives her restored hope in finding her cats, I never imagined I would see my boy again, really it was only on a whim that I decided to have another look through found adverts. I always dreaded the worst purely because he's a black cat that went missing at night. I'll upload some pics shortly just need to work out how to shrink the image size!
shadow-puss
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by shadow-puss »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (30.62 KiB) Viewed 5720 times
image.jpeg
(139.64 KiB) Not downloaded yet
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (94.48 KiB) Viewed 5720 times
shadow-puss
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by shadow-puss »

image.jpeg
Louis before he was lost
(139.64 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Aww, just gorgeous ! I love black cats. So pleased for you all that he’s home and that you did look the other night! I hope the ladies cats return too.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Black might be a difficult colour when it comes to identification, but your boy's long, elegant nose is a give away.

My Bob has a long nose, Willow's is a cute, upturned button.

So pleased you have him back.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Oh my he is totally and utterly gorgeous. I am so very very pleased for you that you have your boy back home with you; and sending the flowers to the finder is a lovely idea.

Best of luck for the vet visit today; and remember to keep him inside for at least 4 weeks (if not longer) now that you have him in what for him will be a new home

Fusses to him x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Ooooh what a great story - this thread has made my day! :D

Well done for continuing to search, and I'm so pleased that you have him back safe. I'm also glad that you're getting him chipped pronto, and definitely keep him in for 3-4 weeks to make sure he's really settled in before letting him out again. Lucky boy had a guardian angel, and sending her flowers is a lovely idea - she deserves them :)
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Aww what a gorgeous lad, lovely Siamesey eyes and nose, give him a kiss from me x