Moving House/Enclosed Garden or not

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Laijas
Returning Cat Chatter

Moving House/Enclosed Garden or not

Post by Laijas »

Hi all,

My first post!

I'm looking for opinions on my situation....

I've just moved house, 3 days ago and moved my 2 young girls (they are 2 next month) to the new house. They are settling in ok, abit nervous and timid still but to be expected.

They have come from a lovely house away from a road with woods out the back garden, they used to love playing in the woods and would go out for 2 - 3 hours at a time. I had to move from there because of an exciting job offer I've had somewhere else.

Now, I'm really in two minds about what to do in regards to letting them out when they are settled in. I'll obviously keep them in for a few weeks anyway but not sure if I should let them roam out around the new area. The area is ok at the new house although it's a fairly busy cul de sac and there is always people around (Laila, is very shy by nature and hides away from anyone she doesn't know). I'm abit worried with lots going on here she'll get freightned and get herself lost. I'm worried anyway about them getting lost or hurt by a car or something.

Or the other option would be to make the front garden enclosed, it's not very big though, around 7 metres by 7 metres. It's currently enclosed by a brick wall as it leads straight onto the cul de sac so I'd need some sort of mesh or wire on top of the wall. Obviously I'll have the security with this option of them not getting lost or hurt but I'm not sure it'll be big enough for them to live a healthy and happy life (considering they are young and used to roaming).

The other option I've thought about is buying them both cat leads and either an extension lead or long piece of string to attach to their lead and basically taking them out for walks but with a long extension so they can wonder off from me but will still be attached.

Also bearing in mind this move to the new house isn't a long term one, plan to be here for 1-2 years max.

Any suggestions or opinions I'd be grateful as the girls mean the world to me and I want what's best for them but not sure which is the best option for them.
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Moving House/Enclosed Garden or not

Post by mr_frisky »

Hi and welcome to Catchat.

I 'cat-proofed' my garden in 2012 (www.photobucket.com/catgarden) and let them out beyond it when I can watch over them. The netting was £12 for 65 feet from ebay and the brackets £1 each from Screwfix.

Maybe consider something similar and keep an eye on them if and when they go beyond?
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Alice »

Have you thought how this would work when postmen, visitors, delivery men, etc approach your home?
Laijas
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Laijas »

Thank you for the replies.

I have thought about an enclosed garden, not sure which option is the best though. I'd probably get it done professionally if I was going to do it.

Delivery people in terms of the enclosed garden?

That's something I can discuss with the professionals and we would bear in mind.

I'm in 2 minds about an enclosed garden because of the cost and whether they would be happy with that small space.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

Previously I lived in a flat, and the cats I had then never got out. Now I'm in a house, I've had a garden enclosure made, and it gives me great peace of mind to know that my cats can go in and out as they please, but can't get on to the road or meet all the other hazards that are out there. I didn't get much information about the background of my two rescue cats, so I don't know how far they used to roam. But they did appreciate getting the garden.

However, this house is my permanent home, and I felt that the cost was justified. As you are not going to be there for long, that's a much harder decision to make. If you go for an enclosed outdoor space, maybe you could get something like a chicken run, built in sections, which you could dismantle and take with you when you move on.
Laijas
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Laijas »

That's a good idea, thank you.

I'll look in a large outdoor run. I'm just abit worried that they will get bored with a run as they are used to being out roaming around.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

You may have to trade off between boredom and safety. If you give the run towers or things to climb on, it will help. And if they are bored, they will be looking for ways to get out, so you'll have to keep checking that they haven't found a way under, over or through the wire.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

I had a patio area around 10x7 metres enclosed 14 years ago, and my girl Tiffany has never been outside the fence, and truly does not look for ways out

Tosker came to me as a rescued stray 7 years ago, and was used to roaming free - he was able to climb the fence, so to minimise the risk of injury I let him out the gate when he asks - but he is nearly always back asking to be let back in within 10 minutes, and as far as I know doesn't stray beyond the rest of my garden

so my two at least are not unhappy at being confined, and I think Tosker likes the security from other free roaming cats it gives him
Laijas
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Laijas »

Thank you for all the replies, I appreciate it.

I'll have a look into runs later when I finish work. Can I ask for people's opinions on the lead and walk idea?