Non stop eating

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Non stop eating

Post by issiandarchie+68 »

Hi all, I wonder if any of you could give me advice on this minor but puzzling 'problem'. Some time ago, I posted on the Bereavement site about the loss of my beloved cats, Armand and Cody. Well here's the thing, my remaining 12yr old cat Gandhi, a big grey cushion of love and personality, is thriving as on 'only'. In 4 months, he hasn't had a single painful cramping episode with his Megacolon, I have halved his Lactulose, hasn't thrown up food or fur ball, his eyes are bright and he is as sleek as a grey seal, no dandruff on his back near the base of his spine. So what's the problem? He blooming well won't stop eating!! Neither will he leave me alone for a minute, does his Velcro kid act at the most annoying times, like when I have a hot pan in my hand, and sits on my chest for long cuddles before I go to sleep, wakes me at least twice, then sits on my chest again around 6.30 a.m. No good me hiding under duvet, he literally digs me out, he's got paws like a bear. It's like having a baby in the house, he is fed on demand, scoffs the lot as well as Royal Canin Dry Fibre Plus. His preferred food is Felix, every variety of the stuff known to man and has now included tins of shredded tuna/ham from the £1.00 shop. If we refuse his noisy demands, he jumps on the work surfaces while I am preparing food, then the table when we are eating and 'flops' across it, refuses to budge, and he's a big cat, a good 7kgs, tail like a ship hawser. Any advice or food parcels will be gratefully received.

Issi
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Non stop eating

Post by Lilith »

issiandarchie+68 wrote: Any advice or food parcels will be gratefully received.
:lol:

Bad lad! Sounds to me like a comfort and attention thing. I used to have a big old tomcat who came to me as an adult feral; he was such a good boy but if I did have to tell him off he'd run straight to his biscuit bowl as if he thought, 'better stoke up in case I get chucked out'. It was heartrending - used to have to tell him what a GOOD boy he was and how much I loved him. Mind you, that cat would eat anyway. I always thought it was due to his having been a stray and not knowing where the next meal was coming from. He'd stuff until he was sick - and then go back for more if you let him.

I've noticed the same thing with my youngest, Molly; she was never a stray and always well-fed, and very naughty, but again, if I say so much as 'Oh, Molly!' - she runs to the biscuits. Who knows what goes through their minds - they're complicated and sensitive, even the toughest.

Gandhi must be missing Armand and Cody, despite his obvious contentment as an 'only'. It's still quite a recent loss isn't it; I wonder if this obsession with food and attention is 'a bid to fill the void' (ouch, psychobabble!) Or else it could be 'oh goody, I've got you two and the food-bowl to myself, lemme make the most of it'. (I'm thinking aloud here, shurrup Lil!)

Whatever it is, perhaps he may calm down as he gets used to his single state; my lad eventually got used to food being on tap and no longer felt he had to stuff till he was sick.

Gandhi sounds hard work though - bless him!

Hope this helps for now - hopefully other people will be along with more ideas and advice.

Big cuddles to the Velcro kid :D
Gabbys_Mum
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Gabbys_Mum »

Awww....bless him! Could be a case of insecurity, wondering where his companions are and is latching to you to check you are around constantly.

Lots of love and cuddles to him Xx
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Thanks Guys, what you say makes sense. He absolutely adored tiny wee Cody from the word go, little and large. Took a while to settle with Armand but they all got on well, despite entirely different personalities. I joke with my family that Gandhi is so intelligent, I'm convinced he is a 40yr old professor in a big cat's body. Do you know, when we got him, I had to change the lock on the front door, he could open it despite it being original heavy Victorian. He would also jump on to work surface, somehow manage to shove open fridge door, drag a blueberry pie (he loves pastry and all things cake related) across the kitchen floor and tuck in. It's no good wagging my finger at him, although that does usually work with my husband, he just gazes at me with his perfectly shaped teddy bear face and sad green eyes, I tell him I love him and off he goes quite happily thinking of more mischief. He is very affectionate, adores my hubby and I've said from the start, although I have loved all my cats in different ways, I can't describe what I feel for Gandhi, he is and always will be cemented into a corner of my heart. He is, at the moment, leaning against and totally stuck on my right leg.. I'm Jake the peg..ting a ling a ling.. Oh lordy, now look what you've done Lilith.. I'm talking to myself now :). I will pass on big hugs and wet nose kisses from you and Gabbys Mum..as soon as I can get him off my foot!

Issi
catslave16
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by catslave16 »

My little tortie was very affectionate, used to seek out laps, visitors' laps included, and would slink on to my lap all the time. I didn't mind, except when I was sitting on the toilet. I'd have to tell her there were certain times a human needed some privacy. She didn't care.
Hugs to Gandhi, the velcro cat! :lol:
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

That's so funny Catslave :lol: and I thought I had a problem with Armand, he followed, well, ran actually, after me wherever I went. The wee geezer never did learn to open doors, would scrabble round the bathroom door with his elegant black paw, until eventually his weight meant he would literally tumble in, then after complaining and giving himself a good shake, he would plonk his little black soft body on my feet for the entire duration of my ablutions! He would then canter off chattering away to himself. Here's a question, whenever Armand used the litter, he would charge straight out, gallop round the house at the speed of knots, then attack the furniture, never did understand why. Anybody have the answer? As for the doors, well, I'll give you a Mars bar if you can 'spot the cat' who hates a closed door, can even dig out a heavy doorstop...yup..spot on.. The Velcro Kid..ta da :roll:

Issi

p.s. The Kid also plays 'fetch', honest, carries a soft pink ball in his mouth and drops it at my feet. I ignore, he picks up, drops it nearer, I throw he brings it back, goes on for hours.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

My Basil does the celebratory charge round the house after using the litter tray as well! I've read lots of possible explanations ..... including 'poo-phoria'! :lol:

It could well be that your Gandhi is just feeling a bit lost after all the changes recently. Bless him. xx
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Crewella wrote:My Basil does the celebratory charge round the house after using the litter tray as well! I've read lots of possible explanations ..... including 'poo-phoria'! :lol:

It could well be that your Gandhi is just feeling a bit lost after all the changes recently. Bless him. xx
Poo-phoria? What an excellent expression but thank goodness I don't have a Shetland pony in the house! My beloved Gandhi is slowly settling down, although he was last seen in the hall chawing down on a stolen Yorkshire pudding. I feel he needs a companion but hubby insistent he is thriving as an only. I suppose he's right, he is 12yrs old now...and the boss of us! Incidentally, I happily pass on all your hugs and kisses tenfold. I don't know who enjoys it the most, him or me :).

Issi
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Poo-phoria! :lol: :lol: :lol:

My Molly does this, for such a dainty little thing she's the STINKIEST cat I ever knew, and I've always assumed she was running away before the smell caught up with her - talk about reeking havoc?

These things are scent to try us... :D
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Lilith, you are a hoot :lol: Your posts always make me laugh. Armand was a wee, delicate black cat, never buried his equally delicate presents. Cody also small and beautiful but we nicknamed her Arthur Scargill as she dug and dug, a look of entire concentration on her face. But Gandhi, oh boy.. absolutely huge, scoop bending, stinky deposits, a quick scratch down side of litter, then he strolls out nonchalantly and sits admiring his work of art. Usually does it while I am having a scented bath, sometimes I have to put my toe gently up his bum to shift him before I pass out from the nostril searing stink!

Issi
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Thanks Issi :) Lol Arthur Scargill - ewww my old tomcat Finn ALWAYS waited until I was in the bath to do his worst in the bathroom tray ... :o Then he'd sit on the edge of the bath and perv at me - or maybe just to make sure he hadn't gassed me!

The very worst animal I knew though was a 'ghost' corn snake named Spooky. A beautiful delicately patterned creature in pinky beige like lace, quite ethereal...wanna bet? Snakes smell terrible anyway when they 'go' (although don't we all lol.) But on this occasion she was so proud of herself that she slung her first coil or two next to her vent so that she could admire her handiwork...or should that be tailiwork... :shock:
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

The Tate and Lyle tag - 'out of the strong came forth sweetness' (a quote from the Bible) is added to in our house. Out of the strong came forth sweetness. Out of the sweet came forth noxious! :? :lol:
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

bobbys girl wrote:The Tate and Lyle tag - 'out of the strong came forth sweetness' (a quote from the Bible) is added to in our house. Out of the strong came forth sweetness. Out of the sweet came forth noxious! :? :lol:
:lol:

What a gas! :lol:
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Folks you give as much laughter as Harper :lol: :lol: :lol: & I too can relate to lack of privacy re ablutions. Vivian
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Willow likes her privacy and I have found myself standing cross-legged outside the bathroom until she has finished on the litter tray - that is, AFTER I have apologised for disturbing her. Sheesh, the things we do.... :roll: