Adopt or not?

Exchange FIV advice and information here.
msalsa
Experienced Cat Chatter

Adopt or not?

Post by msalsa »

Hello Everyone
I have a delema, after three years catless, and still not completely sure if I should, I am thinking of re homing another cat.....deep breath.
My Ted was in an rta and I know I do not need to say how awful that was. I live in a quite cul de sac in a village but he was caught on the road at the end of mine that is a little more busy, it has a nasty bend and people do not slow down....anyhow that is in the past.
So been thinking about an indoor cat but do have a small issue....and it is my thing so apology's to anyone who I may offend... I sort of like the idea of a cat being able to get out and about and not locked in. I have looked at cat netting ect for the garden but it just wouldn't work, also looked at having a cage from the cat flap but in the french doors to the garden but to much is in the way.
So...now getting to the point. There is an FIV looking for a home at the local vets, I went to see him and he is a cutie and very very friendly, he was handed to me by the nurse and cuddled into me rubbing around my neck and face and knocked my glasses off! :lol: I have never had that from a cat that I had never seen before, and I must admit a little overwhelming. The girls at the vets say he always does that when he is picked up and wants lots of fuss for a while then he calms down and is a little more independent.
I work full time and live alone and also go out a few evenings a week, I have a three bed semi with a small garden, I am wondering if I should do this or if it would be selfish of me and cruel for the cat, to be on its own quite a bit and have me in the evenings and days of, he is used to being in and the girls say he is not over interested in being out so would cope ok....to be honest anything is better than the small pen for them.
Is there any insurance company's that would insure him and also vets bills could mount up......ho hum delema
Please shoot from the hip and let me know your thoughts....sorry for long post.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Adopt or not?

Post by bobbys girl »

I would say - go for it!

My only, slight, concern would be the hours the cat would be on it's own. Some really do not mind. We don't see Willow for hours then she turns up for a full-on fuss. :D Have you considered two cats?

As you may know, my Bobby is FIV+, he comes and goes as he pleases, even occasionally across the quiet country lane we live on (few cars but most travel far too fast) I'm not happy about it - but he is and that's what matters.
msalsa
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by msalsa »

Hi
Thanks so much for your thoughts I shall think a little longer about it, the Vet has said he will be adopted out to an indoor home so if he comes to me or goes elsewhere he will be indoors, I am thinking on. Very tempted though.
M
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Like Sue, my only concern here is that the cat might be indoors alone for long periods of time - if they are free to roam the can find their own comany if they want some. It really does depend on the cat, some are happy alone for long periods and others might get stressed. Older cats are often happier as they will snooze the day away! Try to find out as much about the cat as you can, or ideally go for two cats that are known to get on and can keep each other company.
msalsa
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by msalsa »

Thanks Crewela
I understand what you are saying and will think on, I can afford one FIV cat and the vets bills that may come for one, but two may be a bit much if they get ill together, and to find another FIV that would get along with this one may be difficult. So as you say it may be not such a good idea if I am at work all day. He is aged at around 7 and the Vets say that he should be fine on his own but again they may be desperate to move him on to anyone who is interested. Ho hum I shall make my mind up this weekend I think.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

You don't have to have two FIV+ cats. Your vet is probably being over cautious. Bob is FIV+ the girls are all FIV-. It is very hard to catch, the virus has a VERY short life outside the body and can only really be transmitted by a deep bite.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Personally, I try and home needy cats like that with someone who is around a bit - we've got one like that in at the moment, and he is that desperate for attention that the slightest bit of noise and he is crying, so we are looking for someone ideally who works part time for him. I think more independent cats get on better with people at work - Lucy is that non-fussed by attention that she rarely sits with me, and even at night is often found on the sofa by herself, she's not even that bothered by being in the same room as you.
msalsa
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by msalsa »

Hi
Thanks so much for your thoughts, I would like to adopt him but I think he may need someone around a bit more than me. I know the vet he is with...not my vet... will want him to go to an indoor home with no other cats, so I am ideal. I found out that my vets are not keen on FIV so wouldn't go back there for him I would stick to the vets he is at. at the moment.However as you say he may need someone around more than me. He has been there a long time they let him wander around the practice for some of the day, and he does his own thing but back to his very little cubicle for some of the day and at night. Poor little love. I am more of a one cat person rather than any more, I can afford one and all that goes with it but not so much for two. So I shall think on, I may call them and have another chat.
msalsa
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by msalsa »

Hi
Sorry forgot to say that the girls in the vets take him out on a harness and he is ok with it....ahhh
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Like Sue's, my FIV+ boy mixes in with my others - they all get along fine so there's no likelyhood of any fights breaking out and we live in a rural area so there are few (if any) other cats around. Many rescues and vets are still over-careful with FIV+ cats, but all research seems to show that the chances of passing it on are miniscule if cats get along and live together. Both of my FIV+ boys had been stray tom cats and those are the most at risk.

Lots of info here if you're interested:

http://www.fivcats.com/FIV/fiv_introduction.html
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

I tried Bob with a harness after his OP - it was, shall we say, less than successful! He HATED it. :lol:

Try the link that Helen gave you. They are lovely people and helped me no end.

I still think you can provide him with a lovely new home. But whatever you decide, I wish you all the best.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Just a thought, but would they let you take him for a trial period? He sounds quite a settled cat that might not be too upset by the move, and that way you'd get a chance to see how he copes with you being out at work all day. My Paddy is super-affectionate - he loves my OH and likes to sit on his chest with his head nestled under his chin, follows him out to the van when he goes to work (and runs to greet him when he comes home and hops onto the passenger seat for a lift back up the driveway when OH gets out to shut the gate!), but nevertheless as soon as OH has gone he's quite happy pottering and snoozing on his own all day. :D
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

Did you take him?
Oh I hope so!
msalsa
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by msalsa »

Hi
Thank you so much for your reply, no I didn't get him :roll: I have decided that I am prob not home enough. I work full time out the house at 8.30 back at 6pm. Two nights a week straight back out for the gym. and often away on a sat night. I just could not decide what to do for the best. So decided it is a no. I did go in and chat to a lovely lady at the vets who said that she would ask if I could try as a foster first but have not heard back so it is prob a no....ho hum. I just worry about the road that Ted got caught on to have a cat that goes out. Ive never had an indoor cat before so in the interest of the cat thought it was best if I walk away.
Have decided to try and forget the whole idea. Thank you so much for your messages of advice, as allways invaluable.
I hope this att works so you can see him.
https://www.facebook.com/Vets4Pets-Yeov ... 416505552/
Thanks again