Panic

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
debnLoz
New Cat Chatter

Panic

Post by debnLoz »

Hi I've just had princess Tabather at the vets this morning for her first booster now all she wants to do is sleep she hasn't been to her tray since the jab and she crys when we pick her up. Is this normal x
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Panic

Post by Ruth B »

I'm not sure its normal, but we did have one that reacted every year to her booster shots (it may be of no surprise that she was a tortie). She was always under the weather for about 24 hours, just wanted to sleep, not interested in food, fuss etc. She would then perk up and be fine. I guess like humans some cats react more to vaccines than others.

My only concern is that you say she cries when you pick her up. Is it the cry of a cat that just wants to be put back down to go back to sleep or does it seem like you are actually hurting her when you pick her up.

The best I can suggest is keep an eye on her and if she does seem to get any worse or it appears that she is in pain, then ring your vets, they will have an emergency contact number and a quick talk with a qualified vet might help put you at ease, or mean she gets any treatment she needs quickly.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

All my cats have always been subdued, quiet and not moved much or eaten much after their vaccination, for about 24 hours after. In fact I rang the vets once when my 2 cats had been, and they said that can happen, and if they were no better after another day to bring them in. But they were fine and back to normal the following day. Although I thought it was probably the vaccine as usual given they were both the same. My latest addition had her first vaccines last year and was the same. I’ve heard lots of others who have queried this too. I think I read it can depend on the type of vaccines they use, i.e. the make, not which one. They haven’t cried but I never tried to pick them up, I just left them to sleep, but I would just check with your vets. Is it a moan as if to say leave me alone type of moan or moan after some place you touched?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I've had a cat occasionally be subdued just after a vaccination too, like the others it just lasted a day or so. Keep a close eye on him and speak to your vet if it continues. I hope he's perked up now. :)
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by mr_frisky »

I've had cats sleeping the whole day after their jab and I have been convinced there is something wrong with them, but then it's worn off.

If it persists more than 24 hours I'd ask the vets.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

Hope that Tabather soon recovered debnLoz. Since I replied, last Friday I took my Tasha for her booster and she’s been poorly since. Took her Friday morning, she was fine all day, then ate nothing Saturday (which I expected) but wasn’t better yesterday so took her in first thing this morning and the vet thinks she’s had a worse reaction than normal. She’s given her an antibiotic injection (Synulox) and metacam injection. She said her temperature is high and she’s a little dehydrated. She said at the moment she’s home treatable but I’ve to take her back tomorrow to check her temperature and if it’s not down she’s to go in for a drip etc. The vet said she will put an Allergy allert in her notes, and next time split the vaccines up and give them apart instead of all at once. Poor little love is looking right sorry for herself and she’s a normally a right little diva! :cry:
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by mr_frisky »

The vet once gave one of my cats a wormer, flea treatment and her jabs on the same day, despite me later finding out you shouldn't give Advocate and Milbemax at the same time. She slept for the whole day.