Cat wont eat cat food & now injured

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
kev1949
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

Cat wont eat cat food & now injured

Post by kev1949 »

Since giving one of my cats some well know cat treats, he now wont eat the normal dry food he ate before? Just sits at the food bowls looking at us. Also goes mad for our own food, like ham, chicken, etc. My daughters said to leave him alone and he will eat when hungry. But that doesn't seem to be happening? Anyone know the best way to get him back to eating normal dry food?

Sadly, since he started this "food fad", he came home this morning with a broken jaw and an eye hanging out ( 4am ). Lucky the wife was up as couldn't sleep with upset stomach. Rushed him to emergency vet, who said probably been hit by a car? Left him for treatment, xrays, pain relief, fluids, damaged eye to be removed. Going to cost £££s, but as we took him in as a stray three years ago, don't want to loose him. Have to call the vet later today for the prognosis? Will update with news.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Cat wont eat cat food & now injured

Post by meriad »

Oh Kev - sending tons of vibes for your boy; thank goodness your wife was up and about and you were able to get him to the emergency vet as soon as you did.

As for the food - I bet that once he's pulled through this he'll be eating normally again; they won't be feeding him treats at the vet.

Please do keep us updated on how he's doing
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Oh gosh, poor lad! I do hope the vet can help him and get him home to you again soon. You must be beside yourselves. Thank heaven he managed to make his way home and your wife was there to get him to the vet straight away. Do keep us posted. All paws crossed for him here.
kev1949
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by kev1949 »

Just heard from the vet. On a drip, and fix his broken jaw tomorrow, as well as removing the eye that was knocked out. With all the additional costs, £1.500. Small price to pay for all the enjoyment he has given us. However, watching "emergency vet" and "supervet" on TV, some pet owners have paid well more for their pets treatment. Got three others, and hope they don't run out in front of cars!! :o
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Shelly and Dora »

Bless him and bless you for caring enough and clearly considering him as part of your family.

I've spent £000's on Dora and wouldn't hesitate to sell my house and live in a cardboard box with her if need be!!

Best wishes to your boy. Please keep us posted.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Oh bless him, what an experience. You will love him even more now, if that is possible. I would not flinch over the costs either, our furbabes are no less important members of our family than OH and myself. Fusses to him.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Poor cat. I hope he's on the mend. If you are still having problems getting him to eat regular food, there are a few dry foods that are similar to treats. Royal Canin 12+ even has a soft-centre like dreamies! :)
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/royal-canin-cat- ... ood-p-6029" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I'm sure it is fine for younger cats and certainly better than treats.

Another smelly dry food that seems to appeal to most cats is Sanabelle urinary (from zooplus) - again, although it is sold as a urinary food, it is fine for any cat.
Last edited by MarkB on Sat May 31, 2014 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

Poor little fella, so pleased he's in such good hands. I hope he continues to make a good recovery. Do keep us posted. He'll learn to adapt with one eye pretty well - my lad Mitz was completely blind, but coped really well.
kev1949
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by kev1949 »

002.JPG
002.JPG (73.24 KiB) Viewed 5363 times
Tiger back home this morning minus one eye. Jaw not fully healed, so has to lap up watered down food. However, when my other three cats saw him, they didn't like what they saw. Scared them, causing them to hiss and growl
kev1949
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by kev1949 »

006.JPG
006.JPG (110.53 KiB) Viewed 5363 times
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Oh poor little Tiger! What a sweetheart! I do hope he settles in quickly - all our cat-chatters who have had visually impaired cats say they adjust very quickly. I expect his housemates are put off a little by the vet smell but this will wear off pretty soon I would think. Please give him a gentle cuddle from me.

What a smashing lad. x
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Oh, Kev, your little wounded soldier, bless him. He is a feline Lord Nelson now! What a trooper. You must be so relieved to have him home.

Your other cats will not like the vet smell around your boy. Once he gets his home smell back things will settle down.
kev1949
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by kev1949 »

Yes, our vet said the same today about the smell. Made friends with Jasper, my avatar pic, almost four years ago when he was a stray. After unsuccessfully trying to trace his owner, kept him. Chipped, neutered, all the usual inoculations like the others. His jaw is still wired so having to use a syringe to feed him.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

Ooh poor little fella. He has been in the wars.Thank heaven he found his way home to you. Hope he's behaving himself and letting you feed him.
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Hi Kev, I think you have done so well in looking after Tiger. The pictures of him really touched my heart. What an absolutely gorgeous and brave boy he has been. I just wanted to reach out and cuddle him. He will be so glad to be back home where he can recover in comfort with those who love him.

Please give him a very gentle fuss from me xx

Carol
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

Hi Kev

Thanks for being so caring for your lad. I for one would have done the same and most of us here would agree.

I have a totally blind cat (who has access to a secure garden) and does very well.

I am sure that things will settle down once the smell of the vets subsides.

Good luck to,you all

Val
kev1949
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by kev1949 »

Thank you for the kind concerns :) . Poor guy wants to eat, but can't as jaw still wired and swollen :( . So got some a/d from the vet that we moisten so it goes into a syringe. Have to same with water so he doesn't become dehydrated. Also the pain killer has to be given with food. Don't like being hand fed, but is at least swallowing it :D
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Poor little soldier - you're doing great with him. The a/d is great as it's concentrated, so he needs less of it to keep him going. Do you know how long his jaw will be wired for?
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

How's he doing today Kev?