Cat Tracking Devices

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Jim-bob
New Cat Chatter

Cat Tracking Devices

Post by Jim-bob »

Hi everyone,

I need some help. I have 2 cats who love to go out for long periods of time, although I have no problems with them being lost, it has been known that they accidentally get shut in someone's shed or garage for a night. I'm looking to buy a GPS or cat tracking system but unsure which to get.

My friend told me about a Miaufinder system, she says it's free from subscriptions and uses radio-waves. I'm sure what the benefits of subscriptions would be with other systems or what the difference between radio-waves and GPS are. Could anyone recommend a system for me or let me know if you have any experience with a cat tracking system.

Thanks in advance.
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Cat Tracking Devices

Post by mr_frisky »

I've only used the Loc8tor Plus, which works well, but I don't think they sell them any more. They still sell the Loc8tor Pet, though, which is cheaper.

Neither has GPS, and works up to 400 yards or so.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

I'd never heard of the Miaufinder, and as I have an enclosed garden I have no need for a tracking device, but if I did have I would be tempted by it, I must say

https://www.miaufinder.com/en?gclid=CJX ... 0wod2aMOew
MarrowFarmer
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by MarrowFarmer »

We use Tabcat on one of our little nomads, uses radio or Bluetooth or something. Says it's 100yd range but in reality it's only 100 with a clear line of sight, once you stick trees and buildings in the way it can come down as low as 20 - 30 yards. Not much use if you have no idea where their hang outs are. On the plus side he has twice lost his quick release collar and both times we have found it again using the tracker.

Once in range the actual collar starts bleeping as well which is usually enough to make him get up of his lazy backside and come looking for us :D
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

MarrowFarmer wrote:Once in range the actual collar starts bleeping as well which is usually enough to make him get up of his lazy backside and come looking for us :D
Love it! :lol:
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by alanc »

Once in range the actual collar starts bleeping as well which is usually enough to make him get up of his lazy backside and come looking for us :D
Wish I had had one of those to prod Badger to come home!
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by mr_frisky »

Loc8tor bleeps on their collar when in range too. It also has a safe zone. When they go beyond a certain distance it warns you.
MarrowFarmer
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by MarrowFarmer »

The safe zone is only on the GPS model and costs a bit more, it also requires an active sim card. When I did some research a while ago it seemed that most pay-as-you go sims these days are actually on monthly contract not pay-as-you go at all :cry: . GiffGaff still seem to do genuine old skool pay-as-you go though. The Loc8ter light is the exact same device as tabcat just with different branding.
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by mr_frisky »

Not on Loc8tor plus - 2 of the supplied tags allow the safe zone to be specified. It doesn't support GPS or anything else.