cat scratch disease? is it possible I've gotten it?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
randall
VIP Cat Chatter!

cat scratch disease? is it possible I've gotten it?

Post by randall »

Hi,

I have a garden cat who is a playful ankle biter. The other day, while I was hanging laundry, he swiped at my lower leg. He didn't appear to have broken the skin or draw any blood -- so I forgot about it. Yesterday morning, I noticed I had a short line of what looked like 4 little bug bites on my lower leg, close together, not unlike spider bites, flea bites or bed bug bites I can recall getting before. Perhaps I noticed them because they itched a bit. I don't remember. They were not angry red bumps or pustules, but the next day, the line of bumps turned scabby and more resembled slightly imploded shallow blisters. They have remained reddish. At no time have they been tender or feeling/looking infectious. I feel absolutely fine!

I have seen some photos of the red bumps and blisters associated with cat scratch fever, and I don't like the similarities. I've also read on the internet that same cat scratches will raise an allergic reaction, quite local, and this short line of scabs fits that description too. Or those might be bug bites, as I originally thought. I realize that even if I have cat scratch disease it is unlikely to be the death of me. Still, I'd love to put it out of my mind. If I need to be looking for further symptoms or go to the doctor, I'd appreciate that advice.

I've attached some poor photos for people to take a look at if that's any help.
Photo on 9-20-16 at 11.27 AM.jpg
Photo on 9-20-16 at 11.27 AM.jpg (25.81 KiB) Viewed 4025 times
Photo on 9-20-16 at 11.30 AM.jpg
(97.22 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by randall on Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
randall
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: cat scratch disease? is it possible I've gotten it?

Post by randall »

by the way, the cat in the corner of the photo is not the guilty party.

Photo on 9-20-16 at 11.30 AM.jpg
Photo on 9-20-16 at 11.30 AM.jpg (21.95 KiB) Viewed 4017 times

Photo on 9-20-16 at 11.29 AM.jpg
Photo on 9-20-16 at 11.29 AM.jpg (22.9 KiB) Viewed 4019 times
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

If I get scratched by any of my cats, the first thing I do is grab the surgical spirit and clean the area; that usually stops any itching and prevents any possible infection; because lets face it - cat claws (as do human finger nails) harbour lots of dirt.

Admittedly I've never heard of cat scratch fever and the worst that has happened to me is an infected knuckle joint that needed medical attention.

But if you've got an antiseptic cream then put that on and maybe take some ibuprofen to ward of an infection?
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

It might just be a mild allergic reaction on the broken skin. I've been bitten and scratched for most of my life (I really am a slow learner...) and have only had one or two get slightly infected, which I just treated with surgical spirit and good old Savlon. Or maybe I built up an early immunity as a child, having been cat-attacked so frequently!

But I know some people do get much worse reactions, so keep an eye on it and if it starts looking red and angry and feels swollen, seek medical advice.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

To me it looks like the claw did just skip across the surface not enough to draw blood fully but enough to break the surface. Cats' claws are notorious for carrying infection. I don't know if cat scratch fever is a specific disease or more of a name for the symptom that any cat scratch is likely to become infected.

Like the rest advise, keep it clean, and if it does become more tender and swollen then see a doctor, also if you start feeling ill see a doctor, just because the wound doesn't seem bad it doesn't mean that something hasn't got in.

My cleaner of choice when it comes to cat scratches is peroxide. I wear contact lenses and clean them every night in a Hydrogen Peroxide solution, so I always have a bottle on the go in the bathroom. I was advised to use it years ago for cleaning body piercings and have carried on using it for anything that breaks the skin since. It does sting a bit (but so do most things on wounds), it also has a tendency to froth sometimes, I always take this as an indication that there was something in the wound. Touching wood, since I started doing it, I have never had a wound get infected.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I think it looks like the claw just skipped across the surface too. I'm sure it will be fine, but it's worth keeping clean and keeping an eye on. I use boiled warm salt water sometimes too.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Cat scratch disease/fever is caused by a particular (quite common) bacteria. As the name suggests it does cause a fever or raised temperature. From the sound of it you haven't got it and if you did you would have to have a very compromised immune system for it to cause you much bother. Just another one of the pleasures of life with cats. :roll:

Like Helen I'd use salt water and if it is bothering you perhaps an antibacterial cream.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Ah - I'd not seen this, explains the concern I guess!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09 ... cientists/
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

I get updates from 'The People's Pharmacy' and today's newsletter featured a report on the subject.

What with that and several other news stories this week I think the cat-haters are on a roll right now. :evil:
OHWS
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by OHWS »

Last edited by OHWS on Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Helen - just read that article (didn't have time earlier). Just a thought - it's not that the cats are 'dirty' it's that we are too clean!

I think I have already mentioned a friend of mine (might be on another site :? ) who told me as a young boy in Galway he would come home from school, his mother would hand him a sandwich, to keep hunger at bay, at the same time swatting a chicken off the table. He would run out, climb a tree and eat his butty, not washing his hands once. He said he never had a cold or the flu all through his childhood. No hand sanitisers in rural Ireland!

As I type this Bob is on my knee. Everytime I stop fussing him to type, a paw comes up and gently taps my face. 'Hey mum, don't forget me.' As if I could.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I agree with you, Sue. I tend to avoid the 'anti-bacterial' stuff. People, kids especially, need to build up immunities of their own! :D

As is so often the case, the actual article is fairly reasonable, it's the stupid attention-grabbing headline that does all the damage. :evil:
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Yes, it's funny (and sad) how people go for the headlines without looking at the story behind them. Zika is another one - all smoke and mirrors. :roll:
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

It looks like the type of scratch I wouldn't even notice happening either!

My mother had cat scratch fever when she was young and living in Africa. She said she felt awful and had a fever. She was a nurse, and recovered with no medical treatment, and still brought the offending cat into bed with her at night :lol:
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I received this today as an attachment to an advertising/sales email. Preaching to the choir, I know, but good to see someone fighting back!

http://link.pet-supermarket.co.uk/view/ ... 1/1ee7ce72
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Nice one Helen! :D