Once feral always feral?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
MrsV
New Cat Chatter

Once feral always feral?

Post by MrsV »

Hi,
I'm probably clutching at straws here but thought I'd ask. One of my cats has been missing for a month now. First time this has happened although she was starting to drag her heels more when we tried to call her in at night. She's 15 months old and we got her as a kitten when she was 3-4 months old. I don't exactly what her history was but I do know the rescue centre ends up with kittens from all over including abandoned and feral.
I have done everything suggested to get my cat back. She has a collar, name tag and is chipped and we've not heard anything. I don't know what to think.
Is it possible, if she was born feral and to a feral mum that she was reverted? She certainly had no reason to leave us unless she just fancied having some fun and freedom?
OHWS
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Once feral always feral?

Post by OHWS »

Last edited by OHWS on Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I have to agree that being born feral isn't necessarily why she has disappeared. My mind has been changed on how some ferals react to becoming house cats by watching a group over in Canada and the work they do with ferals, you might want to have a look at the tinykittens page http://www.tinykittens.com/ (be warned the live streams they do off the kittens can be far too cute at times).

As she is chipped there is always a chance that she will turn up one day (make sure that the contact information is up to date), unfortunately there is also the possibility that something has happened to her. It is something we all dread when we let out cats out, but when I see how happy they are to be outside, it is a risk i feel i have to take.

I do hope you hear something one way or the other, the not knowing is always the worst.
MrsV
New Cat Chatter

Post by MrsV »

Thanks for your replies.
I'd rather not know for months and then hear good news rather than be put out of my misery now with bad news....if that makes any sense. We always assume that people are like us and will do the right thing if they get a flyer through their door and bother to look or see a lost cat and try to get it home. Unfortunately there maybe someone out there who sees my little one and is justifying keeping her by convincing themselves she must have been unhappy and ran away. Perhaps she's playing in the woods and having the time of her life and will come back when the weather gets colder.
In the abscense of any bad news I'll keep looking and hoping. Thanks again.