Thinking of rehoming our cat for her benefit - she needs attention !

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
GP1981
New Cat Chatter

Thinking of rehoming our cat for her benefit - she needs attention !

Post by GP1981 »

Hi folks. My wife and 2 children are giving serious thought into rehoming or 'giving away' our 6 year old cat Willow. We've had her since she was a kitten, and she's a British short -hair. I hope I don't come across as a monster, because I'm not - though I am thinking in Willow's welfare as well as that of my family.

She has been neutered and wormed/de-fled etc. Well fed on IAMS, a consistent amount, plenty of water and areas in the house to go to for peace and quiet. Lots of scratch posts and toys etc. Willow seems happy and friendly, generally a healthy cat.

My wife started her own business a couple of years back and therefore during the day she is getting no attention whatsoever (she can't have her in the same room as she uses glue guns, small crystals etc. which would be dangerous). So in the evenings when we get home, Willow just craves attention though gets in the way of us sorting dinner, kids doing homework, me trying to relax etc. She doesn't seem to settle, until we are in bed at which point she'll sit on the sofa we usually sit on in the living room.

First thing to get out there - she's a house cat. We live in a very built up area and had no real garden or outside area initially, so were worried about letting her out. We've always kept her in and are worried that this probably doesn't help. We are moving house in around 6 months (hopefully) so this could be an option, to perhaps slowly introduce her to the outside world?

We just try to relax in our living room in the evenings when the kids are asleep - and WIllow just constantly circles the house until we go to sleep and won't settle. She'll be in and out of the curtains, up on our laps then off again, glaring at us and kind of doing laps of the living room. The kids and I do play with her a lot when we can but she just seems to always want more! It's becoming irritating and it's causing us stress too. She's been knocking over drinks, scratching up sofas (when she has a few good scratch posts and cardboard scratchy things.

Our thought process is that Willow may get the attention she needs elsewhere. I know we'd be upset initially though I think we'd be okay after a little while. We just don't have the time to properly 'care' for her (other than doing the basics).

What do you guys think? Any help or guidance would be appreciated.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Thinking of rehoming our cat for her benefit - she needs attention !

Post by Lilith »

Hi there. When you say that Willow's a 'British Shorthair' do you mean that she's a pedigree or simply a 'domestic shorthair' ie moggie? If she is a pedigree, there are a number of breed rescues (google British Shorthair Rescue) who may be able to help. This is a long shot, but again if she's pedigreed, do you still have details of her breeder? Many breeders promise to take kittens/cats back if there are any difficulties, or they used to, and even if not the breeder might just know of someone who can give a home to an older cat.

Having said that, I do hope things settle down for you all; it's Willow's home and you're her family and all she wants is the same attention as anyone else. But I know how persistent cats can be when they want attention! One of mine is 15 and sleeps a great deal. I don't do an awful lot of housework but the MINUTE I get started, Emily wakes up and is under my feet, wanting 'Emily time' lol. Could your wife have a break, even a short break, during the day, to sit with Willow, if only to eat lunch and chat to her and give her a cuddle, that sort of thing. I agree that letting Willow out at present would be very dangerous and even after you've moved, although a garden would, in fine weather, be a great interest to her, it would be much safer to make the garden secure so that she didn't wander, and have a catflap so that she could let herself in and out. Leaving her to cry at a closed back door would only make the problem worse.

Hopefully there will be other people along with more ideas/advice and, again, I do hope that Willow can settle and become happier. I take it she's in good health? Even so a vet check might be a good idea; many cats can change their habits and become clingier when they're nursing some problem; one of mine once did and, feeling all wasn't well with her, I took her to the vet - who said she needed a dental. That out of the way, everything settled down again.

All the best :)
GP1981
New Cat Chatter

Post by GP1981 »

Hi there - thanks for the reply. I believe she is a british short hair crossed with a Bengal (or similar)! I don't think there's any pedigree in there, and there's certainly no paperwork to confirm that.

She appears in good health - I think a vet check up might be a good start.

Thanks.
OHWS
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by OHWS »

Last edited by OHWS on Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
PurrsCR
New Cat Chatter

Post by PurrsCR »

Ideally Im sure she would like to stay with you. If she has some Bengal in her it is no wonder she needs a lot of attention and would probably benefit a lot from going outside at your new home. You should read up on bengals as this is advisable for anyone who wants to adopt one as they can be very demanding. Have you thought of taking her out on a lead?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi Purrs and welcome - yes Bengals are a cat and a half - I once knew a Bengal cross, and wasn't she a madam - gorgeous cats but need a bit of specialling :D

I wouldn't dare try a lead on a cat - but they're all different of course.

So Willow's got a fascinating ancestry, GP; if she's half Bengal it makes her a 'Toyger' who are informally classed as a breed by themselves; as with British shorthair you may be able to trace a Toyger rescue, but I do hope you manage to keep her; let us know how you go on with her; good luck :)
GP1981
New Cat Chatter

Post by GP1981 »

Hi everyone, thanks for the advice. As a family we've now become more conscious of the situation - and have been making a real effort to play and fuss over Willow, even if for just short bursts. This seems to be working, and I think the thought of 'getting rid' has made us all (rightfully) feel a bit guilty - and we would miss her longer term.

RE the Bengal side - I remember meeting the Dad cat, he was a lovely huge Bengal !

When we move, it'll be to a much better area for Willow and most of the gardens are nicely enclosed, so we'll perhaps try a gradual introduction. A lead is an interesting idea, though the last time we tried a flea collar it didn't go too well ....

So in summary, a good result I think as Willow seems happy and we feel better as a family.
pandorawarlord
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by pandorawarlord »

If you do want to try a lead get one that come with a harness rather than a cheap collar and lead set
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hey GP - that is great! :D

Do hope everything settles down under new routine; Willow sounds a love and I should think you would miss her. It's so good to read of a happy ending.

Any further problems, please post and talk them through and we'll try to help.

All the very best to you all and fusses to Willow :)