Poo question (sorry!)

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Poo question (sorry!)

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Hello

Don't want to put anyone off their breakfast, but any ideas about what might influence poo colour? My 17 old girl, Pepsi, who is on 0.4ml of Metacam a day, has recently started going outside (safely) where she eats a good bit of grass. She is now rather fond of going to the loo in the flower beds - bless - and I've noticed her poo is much lighter in colour. She's also leaving it uncovered which I assume is an act of one up(wo)manship as her younger adopted sister has started using the same spot and does cover up. Pepsi's diet is almost exclusively Gourmet pâtés except on the rare occasion I can persuade her to eat something healthier, either another variety or a bit of chicken, liver or white fish. She has a mixture of a handful of Hills j/d and RC Fibre response biscuits, a few vitamin boost treats a day and every few days lik e lix with a little lactulose to keep things moving. She has been inclined to constipation but that seems to be under control at the moment. Any suggestions as to what can influence poo colour and any indicators of when change in colour indicates a vet visit is on the cards. This is not a problem for us - we are very much of the better safe than sorry persuasion.

Thank you for your help again. It is always much appreciated.

Sarah
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: Poo question (sorry!)

Post by Jacks »

This seems to be a useful site on poop colour (and other things)

http://www.fanciers.com/cat-facts/cat-h ... ensen.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BUT poop colour can be a reflection of the food she's eating, and if she's changed her diet then this alone could be the cause - diet and medications, of course... Maybe ask the vet nurse to check with the pharmaceutical company who make her medication whether this is a side effect?

If she's otherwise healthy and active and the offerings are well formed it may be diet related.

In humans pale poop can be liver related and an indication of too much fat in the diet (or not being tolerated) I believe...

((Sign)) we could be into Poogate again...

How amazing that two of yours are choosing to poop outside!

x
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

Trigger's poo was really yellow in colour when I was giving him Gourmet pate regularly - same with Felix - I came to the conclusion there is something in these supermarket foods which didn't agree with him, and since I've reverted to quality dry plus pure complimentary stuff he's much improved
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Thank you ladies. Jackie - what a brilliant website! Ummm.... liver issues again - I hope not. That was a possibility before, but then the liver reading was fine next time. Why is there always something to worry us!? Will continue to monitor. Offerings are well formed, she's eating well and she's generally in good form, though a little quieter than usual. Will brace myself for vet trip at end of week.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Took the initiative and rang vet nurse now and she was completely reassuring. She said that poos done outside and in warmer weather are often lighter - would never have worked that one out - and if Pepsi is eating fine and not drinking more than usual, then nothing to worry about. Only if poos get looser, behaviour changes and water intake increases dramatically to take her in.

Thank you Kay and Jackie for your observations -and the wonderful Poo table (I also diagnosed fat boy greedy Edgar's poo from that).

Hope the post might be helpful for others too.