Holiday insurance with pets

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Holiday insurance with pets

Post by emmab »

Has anyone ever found travel insurance that covers pet illness? It has only been a query since we found out are cat was ill weeks before a holiday. It seems travel companies cover illness and treatment before a holiday (which is bizarre) or cattery stays for delays after a holiday but not if we needed to cancel our holiday to care for a sick pet on maybe a day or two before travel which means we would lose all our holiday money and still have to pay for the cattery? Even pet insurance itself only covers a feeble amount.
OHWS
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Holiday insurance with pets

Post by OHWS »

Last edited by OHWS on Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Not necessarily as we would want it for our next policy. We have never had a cat ill before a holiday but until I spoke to someone this week who had this problem in the Uk with their dog, it has put it into perspective that this is one grey area on all policies and probably something we all overlook. We have also not booked a holiday yet.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by alanc »

Been looking at Tilly's policy and Petplan will pay £1,000 to £3,000 (depending on the policy) if you have to cancel due to pet illness. Regarding cattery costs, these seem to vary between catteries and time of the year. The one I take Tilly to will only charge if they are full and they will have had to turn away business.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Yes, pet insurance policies don't cover for big holidays do they. £3000 doesn't go very far on long haul hols these days. I think it was more an issue of illness and not being able to go as opposed to catteries charging for cancellation.