Feline Epilepsy

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Bella A
New Cat Chatter

Feline Epilepsy

Post by Bella A »

I am hoping that someone could help. Our 18 month old cat, Minnie, is going through investigations for epilepsy after having 2 seizures. The vet has given her some medication, Epiphen, until the diagnosis is confirmed. We have two other cats (all from the same litter) and they now appear to be reflecting her. Anyway, since Minnie has been on the medication, she has changed, no longer the massively affectionate cat that we know, just comes in to eat and sleep and she no longer wants attention. Could this be a side effect of the medication? Or her just trying to keep a low profile so that the other two don't harass her?
OHWS
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Feline Epilepsy

Post by OHWS »

Last edited by OHWS on Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by alanc »

Hi
I don't know if you have seen it, but there was a thread on epilepsy on here earlier this year, which may be some help: http://www.catchat.org/felineforum/viewtopic.php?t=4162
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Bella the president of Little Paws has a Bengal who suffers seizures. Deb has meds for her unsure what but Deb finds if Willow is stimulated ie taken out to a park for an outing and full moons Willow has a seizure that night. Hope others with more seizure experience post advice. Vivian
Bella A
New Cat Chatter

Post by Bella A »

Hi OHWS, sorry, predictive text did what it says it does, yes, I mean that the other two seem to be rejecting Minnie, a there's a fair amount of blocking, and if she's going for the food (there is plenty, in three different bowls) she gets a smack from one of them and a hiss). We sneak the medication into treats (as it's a liquid) -'d the other two get treats at the same time.
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Meandmymunki »

It's quite likely the other cats may be a little scared of her if they've witnessed the seizures. I have a cat who has seizures in his sleep and his brother (who I have sadly lost to fip) used to get really annoyed with Roo when he had seizured and hiss and growl at him.
Unfortunately all anti seizure medications cause pretty horrid side effects, they make them zombie like and although once they get used to the medication the side effects do decrease slightly, it's still not nice.
We decided in the end to stop all medications with Roo as they didn't actually seem to improve the seizures noticeably so it didn't seem worth the side effects. When on meds he drank an incredible amount of water, slept a lot and when awake was hanging his head down and so wobbly he would fall down the stairs and couldn't jump etc. That said I had a cat years ago who had regular seizures and the side effects were much less with her. Might be worth asking the vet if the dosage can be reduced and then gradually increased if needed.
Good luck!
Bella A
New Cat Chatter

Post by Bella A »

Hi Alana, thank you for sending the link, I had seen this, but it appeared that Charlie had reacted well to the meds and once the seizures were under control the other cats also improved. Minnie hasn't had another seizure since being on the meds (that we know of) however the other two are still being quite aggressive to her. Which is why I wonder if her change in mood is due to there reactions to her now, or if it's the medication.
Bella A
New Cat Chatter

Post by Bella A »

Dear Meandmymunki,

Thank you for that, one of the cats, Shadow has definitely seen at least one of the seizures, and she does seem to be the ringleader in the aggression. Although Minnie doesn't appear to have sideffects as bad as your little one did, she does seem sluggish. I'll call the vet and see what we can do.

Thanks again!