is your cat as messy as mine? (food)

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
charlie_rabbit01
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

is your cat as messy as mine? (food)

Post by charlie_rabbit01 »

Every meal denzel has he manages to get wet food all over the mat his bowl is on, the floor, skirting board and wall.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: is your cat as messy as mine? (food)

Post by Kay »

I have resorted to putting Trigger's food down on vinyl flooring offcuts, and even then I put the food outside on the patio if it isn't raining
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

My old girl Tidds used to be the same. She'd pick food up and shake it in her mouth, spraying it around, and quite often used to take it out of the bowl and eat it on the floor nearby. Others have been less messy, but it's safe to say none have had impeccable table manners!
monster
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by monster »

mine's a bit less messy if I break it up well before putting it down.... but yes
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by mr_frisky »

I put their bowls on newspaper and roll up the whole mess and dispose after.
Hazel
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Hazel »

Mika's food fun is disgusting, you can't breed manners :roll:
It's up the walls, its up the door, it's all over the floor, he also does the shaking his head thing and sometimes repeatedly moves a piece to another room to pounce on.
Jess on the other hand (ex feral) is quite a tidy little eater. Probably if you are feral it doesn't pay to play with your food and let others know you have it.
charlie_rabbit01
VIP Cat Chatter!

Glad to hear well maybe not "glad" but hearing my little monster isn't the only messy eater is good.

I think I'll try the newspaper trick, thanks Mr frisky.

This morning I found a 1meter long smear across my kitchen link with an empty bowl at one end and a lump of wet food at the other. Dirty kitty.

They might like to keep themselves clean but certainly not bothered about my kitchen.
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

Considering I have nine cats the food mess is minimal. I'd be interested to know why Jagger insists on moving his chicken bones on to the rug to eat them, and they all prefer to puke on a rug or my bed rather than the wooden floor. It's not an everyday occurrence, but even so I feel awful that my instinctive reaction on hearing "that" meow or the hoiking noise is to shove the culprit on to the wooden floor - I know I wouldn't appreciate it. Poor Jagger had 3 big pukes last night and is a bit dozey, I hope he's much brighter in a few hours or it's off to the vet!
charlie_rabbit01
VIP Cat Chatter!

I too have learnt to recognise "that noise" and Denzel gets swiftly moved to the kitchen.

Most of the time he does choose to be sick in the kitchen on the lino which is good, as he's usually just come in and throws up some of the grass he was eating outside.

The first time he was sick after licking out the lasagne tray, he was in the lounge window and was sick down my curtains, I stuck him in the kitchen whilst I dealt with the curtains and in the mean time he got in the kitchen window and was sick down the wall and behind the radiator.

I was not impressed.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Lynn - was Jagger okay later, or did he have to go to YKW?
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!

Hi Sarah, thank you for asking about Jagger.
The little lad had a very long sleep and was brighter in the morning and ate breakfast, but started throwing up again, three times in a very short period. Although brighter he wasn't his usual rambunctious self, so he was off to the vet. She felt that he had eaten something which disagreed with him (and me!!) - cockroaches are often the culprit apparently - so he he stayed at the vet overnight on a drip but no food and had an antibiotic injection. I couldn't pick him up until late the following morning, and he had eaten normally and had been very "talkative" - they love him but were happy he was returning home! I on the other hand had missed our little chats!
He has been fine since Tuesday, although this morning he wasn't impressed with me putting his little "hoodie" on, but it is quite chilly and his skin, normally VERY warm, was bordering on being cool.
I will have to find him something a bit more dignified, but until I do he's stuck with "little devil" and a "bumble bee" hoodies from China via eBay. I'm not normally one who goes for dressing up animals, but OMG he is SO cute!! :lol: :roll: :lol:
Sorry to rave.
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Shelly and Dora »

Oh Lyn.

I'm glad he's feeling better. Your post made me giggle. We so need to see pictures of him in his hoodie!! x
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Oh Lyn, poor little Jagger, but I am glad he made a quick recovery. They must have found him very amusing at the vet!

Shelly is right - we can wait no longer for a picture of Jagger in his hoodie. It is a must-see picture! I stroked a sphinx at the Pet Show at Earl's Court the other week - my first encounter in the flesh with one. He was sooo warm - like a little hot water bottle, just adorable. I couldn't persuade OH to touch him - he just can't deal with the no fur thing. Men!!
charlie_rabbit01
VIP Cat Chatter!

Oooh I'm not sure about "men" Sarah I met one and I tried to touch but just couldn't do it. But I have heard they are very warm to the touch.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Poor little Jagger will be getting a complex now! His mummy will have to give him extra cuddles tonight!
charlie_rabbit01
VIP Cat Chatter!

I put a Christmas jumper on Denzel and he chewed a hole in it. He was clearly not impressed.

Hope Jagger is recoving well and doesnt have too much of a complex.
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!

I have just spent ages trying to download some pics of Jagger in his jackets, without success. I'm very annoyed as I'd love to show him off! Will keep trying to get organised but as you know I am hopeless. My computer seems to have saved photos in two different locations, the the location that the hoodie pics have gone to won't let me re-size.

Anyway......as much as I'd read about Sphynx before I bought Jagger (bought him from a considerable distance away so had not met him), I was shocked when I first cuddled him that he was so very warm - bordering on hot. I took him down to the vet surgery as promised to introduce him, and had to ask if his skin temp was normal!

Sphynx need to be bathed regularly, at least once or twice per week, have their ears and toes cleaned and nails clipped, and of course it is recommended that you put something on them when the weather gets cold. Silly me expected that it would be bred into them to like being bathed, cleaned, clipped and covered up - in fact Jagger hates being bathed with a passion, settles once I wrap him in a towel but then makes cleaning his ears a real chore and dislikes wearing clothes immensely!! In face, when I first put him into his jackets he started walking in reverse circles, poor little mite (although it was hilarious I have to admit).

Let's see if I can download ANY picture of my boy, and the hoodie pics will have to wait....
Attachments
IMG_20140320_194553.jpg
Jagger harassing the Bettas....
(112.28 KiB) Not downloaded yet
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Oh Lyn, he is such a stunning young man!

Are you sure Jagger wouldn't like to share his experiences of being bathed and dressed with his Friendlies on DDDD? I fink - oops, think - that he would get a rapturous reception on there and some very amusing moral support for what he has to tolerate!!
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!

Jagger says "fanks" for the compliments! He's been wanting to join in DDDD for some time, but he is having trouble convincing me to help him. I am in the process of learning "cat speak", but at present, like in most things, I am absolutely hopeless. This is yet another thing I am working on. :roll: :roll:
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Lyn he is such a gorgeous boy. I'd love to touch him. He's got an adorable expression on his face. He needs to join in DDDD for some much needed moral support. Don't worry about the "cat speak". Jagger knows what to say. We will all understand him perfectly well.

It made me laugh when you said you thought it would be bred into him to like being bathed etc. I would have thought exactly the same :D

Give him a gentle tickle from his Auntie Carol xx
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Absolutely, Lyn, Catol is right. Jagger will find his own voice on DDDD. You will have observed they all have their own inflections and idiosyncrasies! Jagger will find some good friends on there. I think the BOYS will be fwilled to help him deal with his rather female dominated home life!