Sudden death in cats

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Amanda3266
Returning Cat Chatter

Sudden death in cats

Post by Amanda3266 »

Hello all, Hoping for some....I don't know what actually. Advice? Information?

My beautiful 8 yr old Ragdoll cat Alfie collapsed and died very suddenly last night. He had been cuddled up to me and purring (he was a really affectionate Mummy's boy) and I literally went upstairs for 10 mins to sort some washing and then my son came racing up the stairs to tell me Alfie was dead. And he was....just lying on the living room floor lifeless.

He had just used the litter tray by the looks of things (fresh poo in there) and it looks like he was walking back to the armchair when whatever happened overcame him and he just collapsed on the floor.

Obviously we are absolutely devastated but I can't afford a PM (and tbh I don't feel right about him having one) but wondered what the likely cause of death was. I am assuming a heart related problem. However he had only seen a vey a week ago for something very minor...she did a full check up at the time and found nothing of concern. However, his litter brother died at 20 weeks from HCM, is it likely Alfie could have had the same. I know the breeder screens for this now but prior to the death of Alfie's litter brother she didn't.

So I guess I am just asking for likely reasons.

I am cuddling my other two cats a bit more today but they are not the cuddle monster that Alfie was....all I want is to feel him in my arms again.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Sudden death in cats

Post by meriad »

Amanda, I am so very very sorry to hear about Alfie, I cannot even begin to imagine what you're going through. To lose a pet that has been ill is tough enough. RIP sweet boy

but to answer your question, I don't know much about HCM, and you obviously won't know 100% without a PM, but HCM was my very first thought when I read your post and would strongly suspect that that was the cause.

So sorry :(
LittlePenBigHeart
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by LittlePenBigHeart »

Omg you poor thing. My heart really goes out to you. It's an awful thing to have to go through, especially when it's so sudden.

In answer to your question, HCM is especially common in Ragdolls and Maine Coons so I'm afraid that's a very likely cause. As it's a genetic anomaly it's entirely possible that it will run in families. If his brother died of it, it's possible that he had a higher likelihood of suffering as well. Quite often, with HCM, there are symptoms long before the heart actually fails, but sometimes, unfortunately, the heart can fail very quickly.

I'm so, so sorry for your loss. I hope you have someone to help support you right now. :cry:
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Oh Amanda, I'm so sorry, what a terrible shock for you!

Like Ria, I have little knowledge about HCM. But, many years ago, something similar happened to one of my dogs. He was fine one minute then, without any warning, he collapsed. It was his heart, but he was a good deal older than your cat.

I know what you mean about a PM. RIP sweet Alfie.
Amanda3266
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Amanda3266 »

Thank you all for your kind words. Been reading more and more about HCM and the more I read, the more convinced I am that this is what it was.

I know breeders screen for this now but when my parents got Alfie it was all still a new test and some breeders tested and others did not. Alfie's breeder now screens.

Alfie has been with me for two years as my parents couldn't cope with his spraying. He was a real pro at that :roll: and so I took him on in full knowledge that he had this behavioural issue.

It seems that HCM in cats can be hard to detect if they are not symptomatic. Certainly the vet who saw him last week did not find anything of note to concern her. So I have to just accept that there was nothing obvious and that this sudden death was just that...a sudden and catastrophic event.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

I am so sorry to hear this. How traumatic for you all. I know nothing about this either but just wanted to let you know how sorry I am. It is bad enough dealing with an unwell cat as we are but when it is as sudden as that it comes as a real shock.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hello Amanda concur with posted comments - what a shock. Reading above about HCM & how it's common in Ragdolls & Maine Coons, the president of Little Paws Kitten Rescue lost her Maine Coon Rama in exactly the same way as Alfie. This was 3 years ago. She'd just fed him went downstairs came back up & found him! Rama was their Mascot. She was devastated & the 19/11 is Rama's day. Rama was 6. (((Hugs))) tough time for you & thoughts too. Vivian
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by alanc »

Amanda, I know how you feel, having lost my beloved Badger suddenly (to cancer) last year (he was only 5). Sadly the annual check up lulls us into a false sense of security - there are all to many diseases which it cannot pick up (Badger had been passed fit 6 weeks before he died) and HCM seems to be one of them. Doesn't help that cats are all to good at masking their illnesses, either.
vkotsev
New Cat Chatter

Post by vkotsev »

My heart goes out to everybody who lost their cats in such untimely manner.

Last week, our family ragdoll cat passed away peacefully in her sleep, most likely from a heart condition. She was only 8-years-old and had no visible symptoms, mood changes or any other indication of health problems - it happened suddenly and unexpectedly in the middle of the night. We loved her very much and we are devastated by her loss.

To all - please remember to regularly take your kitty to the vet. If you have a ragdoll cat, it is very important to make sure he/she is examined for heart conditions as cats from this breed are especially susceptible to developing such complications very quickly and unexpectedly. Lack of signs or symptoms is insufficient evidence to rule out problems - you need to have a vet examine your cat regularly.

In the face of such cruel fate, one is at a loss to find words to ease the pain. However, I hope this message reaches out others and helps them avoid a similar tragedy.

Vasil
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

So sorry for your loss. We lost my Ragdoll boy in August, not suddenly, and 15 years old, I can't imagine what you have been through.

Ragdolls can be prone to HCM and although breeders usually stop any lines where it appears and I believe they can screen for it too, naturally some do get through. If Alfie's brother had it, confirmed, then it does sound likely. Bottom line is though, a PM won't bring him back, and with some clue as to a likely cause, so nobody else is at any risk, is it really worth it.

Hope you are able to draw some comfort that Alfie most likely didn't know anything about it and was perfectly happy and healthy until the light went out for him. Last year I was present when one of the local dogs just collapsed in the park, a terrible shock for his owner but I was looking straight at him and literally his back legs wobbled, he looked a bit surprised, went over onto his side, and he was gone before his shoulder reached the ground. Being there, his owner saw how quick and painless it was, and that has helped her so much knowing it's only herself suffering.

Be kind to yourself.
al-andrew
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by al-andrew »

Hi there
Gatsby our 10 year old Seal Ragdoll died on Sunday...
We adopted him and his brother Darcy 6 months ago.
As a serious cat family we were absolutely devastated, he bounded out his cat run across the grass as he always did to the back door and took a sudden turn for the worse.
Took him to the emergency vet and they scanned his heart...
I haven’t stopped crying ...
We’ve had Siamese all the time, took in the brothers out of love for them as animals, they’ve crept into our lives so quickly... Darcy has been okay funnily enough but my heart aches for the loss of his brother....
We gonna get Darcy examined for a check up this week. We had no idea this was a risk for these lovely cats.
I miss you so much Gatsby !!
voliviavv24
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by voliviavv24 »

Amanda, I am so very very sorry to hear about Alfie