Need advice re: Gandhi

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Need advice re: Gandhi

Post by issiandarchie+68 »

Hi guys, you may remember after the loss of Cody and Armand earlier this year, I later posted about my beloved big grey cat Gandhi. He thrived as an only cat and my only problem was he wouldn't stop eating! But now I'm a little worried, my husband calls it 'overly fretting'. Gandhi is more like a dog in that he is liberal with his affections and we still call him the Velcro Kid after his habit of sticking himself to my leg. For the past wee while though, although still affectionate and playing etc. he sleeps a lot and has started to refuse his much loved grub. He still does eat but never finishes the bowl and I can't tell you how much we have disposed of, not that it matters. We live in a Victorian flat with very large walk in cupboards. He has started to retreat to the back or on the highest shelf (he uses the stepladder, honest) for hours at a time. He is sleeping a lot, his coat has dulled down and yesterday and this morning, when I gave him lactulose (he has megacolon) I noticed his breath absolutely stank. Not the usual fishy kisses but really stank of old ..I think you know what I'm getting at, although he is pooping and peeing normally. He has also started to drink a lot more, usually from a tap, something he has never done. He is 12yrs old. Do you think I am 'overly fretting' after losing Cody and Armand so unexpectedly?

Issi
Baggypants
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Need advice re: Gandhi

Post by Baggypants »

It could be anything but the smell combined with retreating for long periods suggests he's not himself. I think definitely pop him along to the vet - it could be something as simple as a manky tooth but he definitely needs checking.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I think you are right to be concerned. I'd get him along to the vets. We had something similar with Willow a year or so back. She had stinky breath - which was very unusual for her (she always had very sweet breath - not fishy or anything). Turns out it was a bad tooth. Once that was dealt with she picked-up right away.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by alanc »

Agree with the others. You should get him checked out by the vet, changes in behavior like this need to be investigated.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Also agree - paws crossed it's nothing serious; fusses to Gandhi x
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi agree with all posts from our well honed cat carers. Keep us updated. And fusses & ear rubs for Ghandi. Aside comment the vet who owns the clinic where I volunteer told me that if kidney issues breath can be a bit like nail polish remover- acetone. Vivian
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Thank you folks, advice very much appreciated. I was sat there sitting worrying, prepared to 'phone Lovely Vet, when I suddenly realised the Velcro Kid had not been given his usual Dorwest Herbs digestive supplement for some time. They had discontinued it, I had ordered it's replacement, went down with the dreaded snotty lurgies, and didn't realise the parcel had arrived. I duly administered little pill, containing peppermint, valerian, ginger, rhubarb etc. 30 mins later, the lad proudly deposited a pile of manure of Shetland Pony proportions in his litter, this was followed by an afternoon of swamp like poops and scoops, poops and scoops....The transformation within the hour was amazing. Shiny coat, bright eyes, sweet breath. Unfortunately, the same couldn't be said for his nether regions. By heck..my Gandhi can't half fart. Long, silent, nostril searing miasmas that creep over and swirl around everything in it's path. This was followed by ears back, eyes wild, tiptoe prancing at speed (I think his farts jet propelled him) over the furniture before he finally landed with a thud on my chest at 2 a.m.and went to sleep. He's back to normal today, gawd help us, batting a poor, defenceless apple core about the place. On returning home, know all hubby sniffily pronounced I had been 'overly fretting' again. To which I replied ' tell you what buster, I will sit on the sofa enjoying a glass of wine and the paper, while inviting a topless Hugh Jackman to perform the handing over ceremony of meds, syringe, litter, food, wipes and a specially moulded and beribboned Golden Pooper Scooper, and you can take over!' (If Hugh busy, Bradley Cooper will suffice!). There was a great deal of harrumphing and mutterings about being married to a grumpy mad woman, but he hasn't brought up the subject since :).

Issi
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What a relief for you and Gandhi!

Reeking havoc! (These things are scent to try us, eh?)

Glad you got to the bottom of that! :lol:
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Oh Lilith..I adore a good pun..or should that be bum? You have cheered me up no end.

Issi
xx
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Glad to read that's all cleared up!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Oh Issi you did make me laugh! That's really good news.

As for the harrrumphing OH - oh don't get me started on THOSE! :roll: :lol:

Dorwest Herbs? Not heard of that. Shiny coat, bright eyes, sweet breath - wonder if it works on husbands?
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Issi so glad you solved Ghandi's issues - pleasant or not :lol: Vivian