So you want to give a Kitten for Christmas (Guide)

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

So you want to give a Kitten for Christmas (Guide)

Post by Mrs Kane »

Christmas is the most popular time of year to buy our furry friends. It's a good present for families, couples and the elderly.*
But are you making the right choice by getting one of these bundles of fluff for a fellow relation or friend?

First things first. Although Youtube would say otherwise most people don't like big surprises sprung on them. Many people find keeping a cat, especially a young kitten, extremely difficult when coupled with their work schedule. To end to that I would say:

Don't give the kitten as a present on Christmas day.

The noise and busy atmosphere of the holidays may frighten the kitten at a time in their life when they may be least able to deal with it. Baby animals go through a natural "fear period," which occurs between 7-12 weeks of age, the time when a kitten is usually handed over to new owners. After the trauma of being taken away from mother and littermates, the hectic holidays may be too much and may even shape the personality of the new kitten permanently.

In waiting before giving a pet, you may avoid the "new toy" syndrome. The kitten is less likely to be tossed aside amongst the other gifts.
Saving the thrill of a new pet until after the holidays means that the whole family will be involved in the responsibility a "new baby" brings.

Successful housetraining needs a regular schedule. Most of us cannot provide this needed routine during the hustle and bustle of the holidays. And don't forget that you'll probably have guests coming in and out and you won't want (or have time) to clean up the little messes that come with having a new kitten around.

When should I give a Kitten if not on Christmas day?

If you have your heart set on giving a pet and watching your relations/friends face light up, consider an after holiday pet. And, rather than offering the recipient a confused, frightened kitten, follow these guidelines:

Step 1
Wrap up a photo of the new kitten. The breeder or local rescues will normally be happy to let you take one. A special bonus: they'll be satisfied that you're a responsible pet owner!

Step 2
Make up a special kitten pet pack which could include:

Size-appropriate food and water dishes
Books on caring for cats
Grooming supplies - brushes or combs appropriate for the breed
A toothbrush and toothpaste - it's never too early to get the kitten started with good dental hygiene
Ear Clens® Pads - gentle on pet's ears
Low profile litter box with litter for kittens
Scratching post so you can train kitten to scratch early
Interactive toy (like Da Bird Cat Toy) and small, cat-appropriate toys
Collar and cat carrier for trips to the veterinarian
A warm, cosy place to sleep

Remember that anticipation, after all, is half the fun of a gift!

*Remember that not everyone is equipped or able to take care of a pet. If they refuse or you feel you made a misjudgement then make sure you notify the rescue centre or pet store you have reserved the pet from to ensure they have another prospect of a good owner.

If you feel in any mind that the person you are giving this kitten to is not able to deal with such responsibility then please consider another present this Christmas.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: So you want to give a Kitten for Christmas (Guide)

Post by meriad »

a very good post - well said!
catslave16
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by catslave16 »

Really excellent advice - I particularly like the tip on taking a photo of the kitten and wrapping that up - but... dare I say it, are you ever so slightly preaching to the converted, Mrs Kane? I hope Cat Chatters will recommend your post to anyone and everyone considering getting a kitten at Xmas time.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

This is a perfect post! Wish more people thought like this!
thanks, hope people read this and it pops up in google searches and such
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Well said again Mrs Kane. I may talk to Little Paws about your recommendations & print out copies that can be distributed at their cat visits to libraries & shopping centres. Vivian
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

I'm glad people liked the post :D
dare I say it, are you ever so slightly preaching to the converted, Mrs Kane?
Yeah I guess. :lol: But there are always new people here looking for advice. And I remember my first post was whether I should get a cat because I live in a flat, so I thought it was worth a shot. I figure if one person reads it and makes a good choice from it then it was worth writing.
I may talk to Little Paws about your recommendations & print out copies that can be distributed at their cat visits to libraries & shopping centres.
I'm glad that you feel my post is good enough to to that! :) Thankyou!
catslave16
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by catslave16 »

Mrs Kane, I apologise for saying yo might be 'ever so slightly preaching to the converted' - I'd forgotten that the site does, in fact, attract a fair number of new or potential cat owners, who would definitely benefit from reading your excellent post. So, sorry, and a happy new year to you.
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

Mrs Kane, I apologise for saying yo might be 'ever so slightly preaching to the converted' - I'd forgotten that the site does, in fact, attract a fair number of new or potential cat owners, who would definitely benefit from reading your excellent post. So, sorry, and a happy new year to you.
No need to apologise. :) I did find your answer quite humorous and true. There's quite a little community of cat Veterans here. I enjoy this site because of it. (Although sometimes I feel I'm somewhat useless with so many experts around ;) (Not a pity call, just the truth))

Happy new year to you also! I hope you had a good holiday :)
catslave16
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by catslave16 »

I know what you mean about there being so many experts around! People who have lots of cats, rescue cats, ferals, cats with health problems...What a fantastic resource! I've had two cats (not together) from kittens till they died, at 15 and 18, and I now have an adopted cat who's about six and incredibly laid-back. This makes me, well, almost a virgin in terms of cat companionship... (yeah I know you can't be 'almost a virgin' any more than you can be 'almost pregnant' but it's late at night, I haven't had a drink at all and am struggling to express myself) ;)
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

No one is useless on this website, we all have different levels of experience about different things. Even those that join with a problem aren't useless as their threads leads to a lot of extra ideas and information for the rest of us. The sooner someone realises that they don't know everything about a subject is when they really start learning about it.

In my opinion if even just one person read this thread and decided that instead of giving someone a kitten they would take them to the rescue centre and let them choose their own then it was worth every word written.
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

With Christmas approaching, I would like to bump this thread for anyone looking to buy a kitten or cat this Christmas. I hope that we can keep bumping it for newcomers interested in getting a kitten in the near future.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

A good idea to bump this thread.

If both partners work, don't have kids and know they will both be at home for the week between Christmas and New Year and not off visiting family and friends all the time, then getting a cat at Christmas is a good idea, for anyone else then it is better to wait.

And ALWAYS, ALWAYS, make sure you have thought it through and discussed it with all of the family.
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

Santa bumps this to make sure you are a responsible owner this Christmas!
Aruna
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Aruna »

Very well written and to the point! Thank you, I was thinking about gifting a Kitten to one of my friends. She is so in love with mine and my other friends' cats but she never really dared to get one herself.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

If you seriously want to give your friend a kitten (I would suggest an adult cat if she hasn't had one before), take them to the local charity and let them have a look around and discuss it with the volunteers there, and offer to pay the adoption fee for her. Between yourself and the charity she would have a good support group if she had any queries which might give her the confidence to try having one.
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

Christmas eve bump for those looking to buy kittens this year.

Adopt don't shop and please read the guide!

Merry Christmas to everyone and merry rubs to all our furry felines out there.

I hope wherever you are that you have a lovely time!